Baby Backs Planned for Sunday -- Couple of ?'s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hbark

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Southampton, PA
Last year for our church's auction, we offered a rib dinner that sold for around $70/person.  I smoked 6 racks in my GOSM --- 3 different kinds of rub that I made up (and previously tried/tested) -- jerk, cajun, and Emerils.  Everyone seemed to like them, at least they said they did.  Some people didn't eat so many but we had plenty of appetizers too.

Fast forward to now -- I was discussing with my wife about what to offer this year for the auction.  She said "you know, I really don't like your ribs that much, and I don't think other people did either".  WTF!  I've been making them without foil, so they're not "fall of the bone" consistency but very tender and tasty it seems to me.  She prefers the fall of the bone consistency.

So Sunday, I plan on another ribs "experiment" to please her (isn't that what we all try and do??), some people coming over to be guinea pigs. And maybe they'll be more to people's liking in general, or at least these church people.  I'll be trying the 2-2-1 method, making 3 racks of babybacks, maybe I'll vary each one a little bit like 2 - 1.5 - 1 or whatever.  I plan on using Jeff's rub which I got a while ago but haven't tried yet, everyone on here seems to rave about it.

I also found a post from 2009 about Billbo's "world famous BBQ sauce".  Now normally I don't use sauce because they've been so good with just the rubs, not dry or anything, but I figure people might like some sauce with it.  I made some today while I had the time.

Anyway -- my real question is -- for those that use some variation of the 2-2-1 method with foil, do you guys put the sauce on the ribs on the last hour or so, after taking out of the foil?  Or just have it available at the table for people to put on their ribs as they want to?  I was thinking about putting the sauce on 1 of the racks after taking it out of the foil.

Thanks for any advice.

And yes I will post plenty of Qview afterwards!!

Oh man talk about a slap in the face. Everyone likes their ribs a little different and a lot of people don't consider them good unless they are fall off the bone. Definately give the 2-2-1 a try and see what they say. I stick true to the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 and they are perfect for us. Some times I put BBQ sauce on them for the last hour and some times I don't. I would do like you said and do some of each and see what you like better. Good luck. I bet they will love them. 

Yeah if my wife said that...she wouldn't be eating them anymore!!!!LOL Try the 2-2-1 method for babybacks it works great.Just make sure you give em a nice splash of juice when you foil them up. I personally do not put sauce on my ribs,i put it on the table. But if you want to sauce them for the last hour or so of smoking.Its all a matter of personal choice. Give it all a try to see how you and your wife like them. Good luck!!

icon_cool.gif

If you do stick to the 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 methods you can have the fall off the bone ribs. Now I have always told folks to do that first and then make any changes that you personally want. After all we are all different. I personally like a little tug to my ribs but that's me. 

I started using the 3-2-1 @220.  I cant even tell you how many racks I have smoked experimenting the past year.  I have come to using a 3-1-.5 @275.  It is perfect for baby backs!

I've used the 2-2-1 method and like to glaze them the last hour I don't like a lot of sauce, but that's just me if you have a good rub dry ribs are good too, try the sauce on the side and let the people decide for themselves....

Most of the time i just eye ball it, when the ribs get a good bark on them i put them in foil for 1.5 to 2 hours depending on what heat you like to cook at. I usually check them with a toothpick to check for tenderness. We like sweet ribs here, so right before I foil them I sprinkle brown sugar on both sides and drizzle honey on both sides then ad alittle apple juice to the bottom of the foil, close them up and stick them meat side down and the smoker until done, but everybody does it there own way. TRIAL AND ERROR is all i can say. good luck

I like mine chewy where there's a slight tug necessary to get the meat off the bone too. I usually sauce mine twice within the last 45 minutes or so. And when I put the sauce on, I like them to not be runny out of the foil with juice when I sauce. I wait at least a half hour additional cooking before I do any saucing the sauce sticks better. I foil them a second time once finished to rest on oven racks for around 25 minutes before eating.  Another thing that I like doing is when I'm foiling I'll place them top down to perhaps encourage a little more moisture penetration.

Let us know how your ribs turn out for you and how your sauce worked for you. 

Last edited:
hbark, I have done several smokes for my brother and a bunch of his friends, about 10 guys kick in and buy everything and invite a big crowd, usually around 150 people total.  They always have ribs and for the last 3 they have had only baby backs!  After the first, Pig-N-Swig, as they call it, I learned one thing, fix each food item, IE, ribs, butts,  whatever, the same way, In other words I fix all the ribs exactly the same, I then do all of the butts with maybe a different rub and a side of sauce, and what ever else they buy I fix it the way I want to. I do the baby backs with the 2-2-1 method, saucing them up good during the last 30 to 40 minutes, when they come off the rack I place them in an aluminum pan cover tightly with aluminum foil and place them in a big cooler with a blanket for about 45 minutes before putting them out to be gobbled up.  Everyone loves them or so they say, they are fall off the bone and slathered in a good home made BBQ Sauce, I used Jeff's rub and sauce the last three times and they loved them and we have never had any left over.  For those eating pulled pork they swear it's the best they have ever eaten, I use Jeff's rub and put 2 or 3 bottles of his sauce on each table.  These are people who have all eaten BBQ before and enough to know good from bad, most of them are wealthy and from the South so they know BBQ.  I guess what I am saying if your fixing ribs, don't give them the choice of two or three different flavors or cooking styles! You and the wife and as you said  a few friends decide on what is the very best then fix all of them the same way. I did as you did my first time and we not only had some left overs but no one really bragged on the food. The next time they all got the same thing and loved it. Worked for me it may work for you. Now all that and about  $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee in any cheap restaurant!  Good luck my friend!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

It seems like everyone has their own opinion about what good ribs should taste like. I prefer a little tug, but I'm outnumbered around here so if we have guests for bb's it's always 2-2-1. Everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs. When I take them out of the foil I sauce them for the last hour. Also my wife will be honest with me about anything I smoke, if she likes it or doesn't like it she lets me know & why. It's good to get a second opinion from someone who will tell you the truth, not just what you want to hear. Good luck!

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.  I'll be sure to post on Monday how it all worked out -- with Qview, of course!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky