• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Baby backs or good old spareribs

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
I know this as probably been asked a million times but, what do you all like better? My wife asked me to smoke some baby backs but I have always done spareribs. What’s the difference between the two? I see them at the butcher but personally have never smoked them. I always get the spareribs and cut them up st. Louis style. They seem to have more meat and less fat then spares. Do they cook up different? I think I read once they take a little longer then the spareribs. Would love to hear all your opinions on this since I may do them Tuesday for dinner.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 7, 2017
Baby back ribs are leaner. Not as fatty as the spare ribs. Do they take longer to cook? I don’t think so. I prefer baby backs over spare ribs.
Try them. Smoke them to an internal temperature of 195 degrees.

Smokin Okie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 27, 2018
I like spare ribs cuz they have more fat. And I like whole spares over St Louis cut. I like a big, good eatin rib.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
the problem with baby backs anymore is they leave to much loin meat on them
Spares for my taste too . For the reason Jim states above .

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
Yeah I really like the the spareribs as well. I do the st. Louis trim only because they fit on my smaller pellet smoker better. But the little ribs I cut off don’t go to waist, I cook those babies off and there my favorite bite🍖❤🔥

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
BBs seem more readily available around here. Full spares that haven't been pre-marinated are getting tougher to find in the local grocers.

Chris

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Chris.

Yup some meats are getting hard to find even chicken and the price has gone through the roof.

Warren

binnesman

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 23, 2021
I live in Fl and have several butchers and Cosco and both still have plenty of both. I find that the butchers are way more expensive they are averaging around 5.99 to 7.99 a pound but Coscao is still .3.99.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
I prefer the spare ribs myself since they clean up nicely and done have the curved bone as much as at baby backs do... sounds weird I know !

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
I like them both. BB are a shorter cook so its nice when time is short. If the loin section is too thick I will even trim some of it so they cook more even. They are more "meaty" than spars so I usually do them with a sauce or thick glaze.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I was a big BB guy, but since they started adding a big chunk of loin meat to the top of them, I switched to either full spares or STL’s. It’s almost impossible to get bb’s with the extra loin meat on them moist & tender. The loin part needs to be c.ooked to 140-145, but the rest of the rib needs to go to 195-205, depending on how you like your ribs. At that point the loin part is dried out.
Al

912smoker

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Another vote for full spares(usually cheaper) !
I do the St Louis trim and try different flavors/rubs on the trimmed meat.

tm3308

Joined Jun 20, 2021
I used to be a baby back guy, but once I started smoking spares, I've never wanted to go back. Better flavor because of the higher fat content, and I like the flatter bones. And they give me the flexibility to either do a full rack, or do a STL cut and make rib tips with the trimmings.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Spare rib guy here, too (cheaper and less fussy). My wife used to prefer BBs, but once I started smoking her rack of spare ribs to FOTB, she prefers spares. She likes St Louis cut. I like untrimmed. How the heck have we stayed married for more than 40 years?

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like 912smoker it is appreciated.

Warren

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.