Baby Backs On A Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retiredbadge

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
I have always used the 3-2-1 method on my Traeger for ribs. I always added an AmazN tube because I like the smoke flavor. My ribs always turn out very good. At least everyone brags and I know they could be lying, but.....

The receipt has always been probably like most. Rub cook 3 hours. Wrap with brown sugar and butter cook 2 hours. Sauce and cook another hour.

My question is I see almost everyone adding honey with their brown sugar and butter. I love honey I have just never used it because in my mind they would be really really sweet. I have never ate ribs that have been cooked with the honey.

I am cooking 6 slabs of Baby Backs tomorrow morning and I am looking for some advice as to what you professionals do?

So give me your secrets and I would like to know honey or no honey and why. Be kind to an old man. :)

I don't use any honey. I tried it once and it made the ribs to sweet. The brown sugar and apple juice are sweet enough for us.

Chris

I like honey, its my secret ingredient. Its not as sweet to my pallet as refined sugars, even less sweet than raw sugar turbindo. Instead of salting my raw/fresh veggies in the pot I just add a touch of honey, especially green veggies. Got it from my Mom, she added a pinch of sugar to all her green veggies, mustard greens to green beans. Makes a hill of difference.

When I use a steaming liquid, I use butter, honey and apple cider vinegar generally. BTW I am no professional, I never used foil when smoking before I came here. I smoked ribs using the break-over method or so I learned it was called when I came here from oldschoolbbq LOL. Just remember you only need just a little steam in your foil.

I don't care for sweet, gooey ribs as I prefer to taste the meat, so I only use dry rub, then when foiling for the 2 hours I add a wee bit of apple juice and the one hour unwrapped finish tightens up the bark.

Since you're cooking up 6 slabs, you have the perfect opportunity to try a little experiment: Take 1 or 2 and add a little honey - see (or rather taste) how you like them! They'll be edible, just a lil' different ;) I would cut down the amount of sugar on the slabs you add the honey to if I were trying it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may put honey on one slab to try it out. I like a little sweet rib, but not candied per say. Feeding our secretary and her family plus my elderly neighbors. LOL I say elderly neighbors because they are older than me, but I am elderly now. Ha! Thanks guys. I love this forum.

I'm definitely still a bit of a beginner, but like pork butt, it is hard to ruin ribs if you follow established recipes. As I age, I like sweets less and less (hardly ever eat dessert). I too thought adding honey would make the ribs too sweet, but was pleasantly surprised that it was not the sugar bomb I was expecting. I do my ribs 3-2-1 as well and add the sweets plus butter for the second two hours. The ribs definitely come out slightly sweet, but the honey adds a different kind of floral sweetness that tastes great, and does not have the overwhelming honey sweetness. My thought is that the salty/spicy rub kind of balances the sugars. In any case, I always use honey plus brown sugar these days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky