Baby backs 2 different ways, Dutch's beans, Eman's banana pudding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voldaddy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Had a busy day today. As the title reads, I did baby backs 2 different ways. I had 3 slabs total, and did 2 my normal 2-2-1 with sauce, and the last one I did with the brown sugar method, no foil.

After rubbed and rested overnight in the fridge:

ac358ce4_619.jpg

The slab rubbed with brown sugar:

ebb605ac_620.jpg

The brown sugar after an hour:

7a7c451c_622.jpg

The ribs with brown sugar, no foil, after 5 hours of 225* and hickory:

f3c94779_625.jpg

The other 2 slabs, with traditional 2-2-1 method:

2278d3ac_626.jpg

Dutch's beans, sans the jalapeno peppers, after 3 hours in the MES:

fe5057c4_627.jpg

Sorry for the sloppy Q-vue, learning the new set-up.

I'm not a big fan of baked beans, but Dutch's are incredible. I have read many many posts talking about how good they are, and decided to try them. They will get made a lot from now on.

Eman, your banana pudding recipe is 2 things; simple and excellent! My 6 year old daughter helped me make it last night, and we let it rest. We added the Cool-Whip and 12 decorative Nilla Wafers today.

As far as preferences, half the group liked the brown sugar better, the other half liked the traditional 2-2-1 sauced ribs.

I did notice that the brown sugar ribs seemed drier, which is natural because they weren't foiled for 2 hours.

I didn't want to foil them as I feared I would lose the brown sugar coating.

I think I may pull them a little sooner than 5 hours next time and see if it helps. I spritzed with apple juice every 30-45 minutes.

Add some of my wife's potato salad, and it was a great meal.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
it all looked god, What I have been doing with my ribs is mixing some brown sugar with my reg rub and I very pleased with the out come

Glad ya like the nanner pudding.

I also use a fair ammount (alot) of brown sugar in my pork rub.

I also will use cane syrup or molasses instead of yellow mustard to hold the rub on the pork.

cool.gif

I'm with E on this one you sure have alot of brown sugar on your ribs. I like a little sweet tingle to my pork but you have  boat load on them. Were they really sweet or did some burn off???

cool.gif

I'm with E on this one you sure have alot of brown sugar on your ribs. I like a little sweet tingle to my pork but you have  boat load on them. Were they really sweet or did some burn off???
Not sweet at all. I saw this method here and on the Youtube video linked. I put mustard and regular rub on all three slabs and let them rest overnight. Then, I sprinkled the regular rub back on the brown sugar ribs prior ro smoking. Most of the brown sugar melts off and makes a nice glaze before ever making the smoker. They were actually pretty good, just a tad drier than I would have liked. That being said, I will probably make them again, and spritz more often, or try foiling them.

Glad ya like the nanner pudding.

I also use a fair ammount (alot) of brown sugar in my pork rub.

I also will use cane syrup or molasses instead of yellow mustard to hold the rub on the pork.
It's good stuff! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I had my regular rub underneath the mound of brown sugar. I read the posts here about using brown sugar, and thought I would try it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky