B&B Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
After reading about B&B charcoal on SMF, I bought a 9 lb bag and used it to cook Spatchcock Chicken. The bird came out great.
My primary charcoal has always been Kingsford brand of different flavors. I found that the KF light easy in a Weber Chimney, taking about 20 minutes.
I only had to light 15 briquettes for my first burn and it took 30 minutes and I had to light paper 3 times to get them going. The second set was only 9 briquettes and I soaked with lighter fluid and the directions advised. I still had to light it two times with paper.
1- Is this normal?
2- Is there a better way to get the briquettes fully lite?

I did like how they burned and how long they lasted. I will continue to use this brand.

Thanks. I will buy the torch. I was surprised I had lighter fluid in the garage, because I never use it.

I've used B&B briquettes. A bit pricy for my tastes. It is a MUCH denser briq than Kingsford so it takes 2-3 times longer to light. Same thing will happen with Weber charcoal.

I have a stack of cardboard egg cartons. I'll cut them to fit under a chimney, give it a light spray of cooking oil (more is NOT better), wad up a paper towel, lightly spray it, add the chimney then light the egg carton. You may think the fire's gone out when the aper stops burning, but hold your hand over the chimney and you'll feel the heat. Might take 30-40 minutes to ash over, but it will.

I find B+B to have looser packed/less dense briquettes than Kingsford Pro/Comp I use.
It seems to make more ash as well, but that's just my impression.

B&B Charlogs

Great heat retention and hot. Use when baking breads

I've used B&B briquettes. A bit pricy for my tastes. It is a MUCH denser briq than Kingsford so it takes 2-3 times longer to light. Same thing will happen with Weber charcoal.

I have a stack of cardboard egg cartons. I'll cut them to fit under a chimney, give it a light spray of cooking oil (more is NOT better), wad up a paper towel, lightly spray it, add the chimney then light the egg carton. You may think the fire's gone out when the aper stops burning, but hold your hand over the chimney and you'll feel the heat. Might take 30-40 minutes to ash over, but it will.
Good idea. I will give that a try next time.

B&B Charlogs

Great heat retention and hot. Use when baking breads
I looked for those locally and could not find them. The ACE store I bought the B&B briquets sold out. I bought a small 9 pound bag. Decided to give the FOGO brand of lump a try instead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky