Attempting a big ole flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capatin awesome

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Mazon, IL
We have some friend coming in from out of town, so I decided to smoke a brisket, some Mac and cheese, and some chicken quarters. The wife went shopping, and instead of a whole packer, she came home with an 8.5 pound flat. I have 2 delemmas. First, I've never done just a flat, and I just got an MES40 to replace my old cheapo electric smoker, so I'm kind of on a learning curve.
After reading, and reading, and reading and...... It's the same old thing. cook it at 225, cook it at 275, inject it, never inject it. LOL. That's what makes it fun right?
So I'm m trying a combination of everything at this point.
I did inject it. (whoever came up with the idea of injecting it through the plastic is a freaking genius). Let it set for about a half hour while I went out and got the smoker ready. Foiled the drip pan, added my signature 16oz can of Busch Llight (into the pan. Not into me.....yet), and went back to the meat. I rubbed the fat cap with some Worcester sauce and flipped it. On the meat side, I stuck with rubbing it with mustard and covered it heavily with rub. Out to the MES. I decided to go to the middle ground with the temp, So I have it set for 250, and I'm hoping to be good in about 8-9 hours. We'll see. Here are some pics so far, obviously nothing you haven't seen before. (But it's the first time I remembered to take pics AND post)

Attachments

• 11353.jpeg
    11353.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 11350.jpeg
    11350.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 11351.jpeg
    11351.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
I’ve done about the same size flat on my MES40 a couple of times. I cooked at 235 and was done way earlier than I expected the first time. Moved the probe several times and still showed done. It worked out ok. I was able to wrap it and throw it in a cooler and it probably came out better than I expected for getting done so early. Just keep an eye on it.

Looks like your off to a good start.

Chris

11393.jpeg
4-1/2 hours in. Stalled at around 180. Foiled up with the rest of the injection. Smells fantastic!!!
11392.jpeg

Attachments

• 11393.jpeg
    11393.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 11392.jpeg
    11392.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: tallbm
Still looking good, and I'm still watching.

Chris

Next load. Mac-n-cheeses and chick quarters. Brisket is
11398.jpeg
11400.jpeg
11401.jpeg
sitting at 197. not quite ready. Hoping in about an hour, so it can rest while the chick and Mac finish. Man, I hope this plus sweet corn and garlic bread is enough food for 5 adults and 3 kids ;)

You should be fine food quantity wise. Looks good.

Chris

Well, I pulled the brisket at 205. Let it rest for an hour while everything else caught up. While it tasted good, it didn't have th normal smoke ring "look" to it. While it wasn't dry, it wasn't exactly that awesome moist either. But hey, people liked it. Everything else came out perfectly. Can't complain. I'm stuffed!!
11405.jpeg
11407.jpeg
11410.jpeg
11409.jpeg
11412.jpeg

Reactions: tallbm and mike5051
Hi there and welcome!

Great job! The MES won't produce a smoke ring. That comes from the combustion and gas produced by the heat fuel source burning so hot and such. Your heat source is electric so no gas produced so no smoke ring, but that's ok. Your flavor will still be there.

I see you grilled those chicken quarters to get the skin edible, good job! I think you are well on your way my friend :)

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that I wouldn't get the smoke ring. That kinda sucks. I sometimes miss my old WSM. Yeah. I finished the chicken up on the grill.
It wasn't the best, but surely wasn't the worst brisket I've done.

That's a good start especially with a brisket flat only. Flats seem to be tough cookies to crack.
If you really want to get a smoke ring you can do some uncommon things and burn some charcoal in the MES and tha would likely do it. I think it is probably more hassle than it is worth, but TECHNICALLY possible.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky