Attempt at Ribs with 3-2-1 method varried results (not good - not horrible)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjax

Original poster
So I have an offset reverse flow wood smoker made from a 100 Gallon tank. I am new to smoking and have spent most of the last few months tweaking and learning the smoker. I've got almost all the leaks sealed (last one is bottom and sides of smoker lid. I first tried nomex but the gaps were to big in places... so I went to rutland hi temp oven sealer and it worked great. (thanks to the forum for all the hints!!!).

So back to the ribs.

Fuel: Oak wood in firebox. Got it warmed up to temp and added some mesquite to it during the first 2 hours of smoking.  (finally didn't - over-smoke... )..

Temperature held pretty tight at around 230 - 240. I did have an instance where it jumped on me to 270 or so and another where it dropped to 195. These weren't for long as I was pretty quick to correct. We were camped out next to the smoker and its pretty easy to tell when the temp goes up.. sizzle gets going.

Rib Preparation: I prepped the ribs by:
  • Removing the  membrane
  • Cutting any excess fat
  • applying a pork dry rub (not impressed with this store bought one.. may try a recipe next time).
Cooking method:
  • As mentioned I used 3-2-1 method
  • Put in tin, sprayed down with some apple cider, and covered with foil during middle 2 hours.
  • Then placed back on rack to finish off.
Outcome
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Well it seems like some parts were super, fall of the bone, tender and wonderful. Others were rather tough and not so tender. Even on the same rack of ribs, it varied.

It is a reverse flow, while I haven't placed multiple thermometers in the grill (which i'm guessing is a probable response) I would assume with the reverse flow the heat should be very even.

OK - hit me - cause I really want to master ribs. I figure if I can get them mastered the rest should be easy!!!

Picture included - i'm the big guy (Steve) - little guy is my USCG buddy.. I know its not a great picture of the smoker.. but its all I have right now.. it was while we were pre-heating.

Oh and really love this site.. thanks to all that continue to post (wish I could more often). I have literally found all my information hear. Even had a co-worker point me to the site when we talked of smoking.

~Steve

Pic is great!  Love to see yall having fun!

The last ribs I did were in a 3 pac. did the 3-2-1 method on mine....one rack was great the others were tougher.  Still good...but not the way I like my ribs.  Thinking that sometimes....it's just the cut of meat.  (and that is my story...sticking to it....lol)

Kat

Ok so you'll notice I didn't say "baby back" cause they weren't. I'm a little hesitant to go for the good stuff until I can tackle the cheaper spare ribs (or what's left of that wild boar in my freezer :) ..

So it very well could have been the cut of meat. I was think next time I might follow closer the guidelines I read for actually dressing out the spare ribs to remove the top portion...

Don't blame it on the meat.....that's why we slow smoke. IMHO I'll take the st louis style spares most times anyway. Meatier and cheaper and just as good as bb's. Don't get trapped into the thinking that more expensive is the "good stuff". Damn, if we can cook that shoe leather chest muscle called brisket into delicious, tender beef then we can handle ribs. Only suggestion I can make is are you confident your temp gauge is good? Lots of those dial gauges can be way off and tough ribs sounds like undercooked. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Verify the one you have with boiling water and ice water test. About 212 and 32 degrees respectively. Or get a maverick et 732. It will be a must have for comps anyway.

Last edited:
I would hardly call Baby Backs the good stuff. Spare ribs are meatier and I think more flavorful. Make your own Rub. The commercial crap is all salt and you may find more liquid in the foil will give a more tender result. Here is a couple recipes you may like to try...JJ

Try this... It is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...If you want spicier increase Blk Pepper to 1T and add 1T Wht Pepper and 1T Mustard powder. The Foiling Juice, at the bottom, makes a Rib Glaze at the end. You can add 1/4C Ketchup, 2T Cider Vinegar and 2T Mustard to make a more traditional KC Style BBQ Sauce....Anything else, just ask...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1tsp Thyme

1tsp Oregano

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

You may also like this for Ribs and is a tasty Sweet Finishing Sauce...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

Reactions: ski302
There you go....... now you are getting the good stuff. Chef JJ always chimes in with good advice and great recipes.

I agree that is sounds like a temp issue. I use digital therm. and drilled a hole through a piece of 2x4 the size of the probe and placed it near the ribs. Then I know exactly what my temp is. With St Louis ribs, I do more of a 3.5/2.5/1 (or 30min depending how tender I want them) at 275. 

All the advice you have gotten so far is good. I might make one more suggestion. Trim your ribs st louis style . Smoke the tips and trimmings while smoking the ribs. Cutting the ribs this way gives a nice even rack of ribs w/ no thick areas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky