At the Crossroads of Smoking and Whiskey - Bourbonites Unite!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sitting here thinking about tomorrow's cook and had to come in to post. Temp dropped to the low 30's here and it has been wet. It will make for less than ideal conditions for smoking a brisket tomorrow, but it is the perfect excuse to sit by the fire and try a cold weather whiskey recipe I saw online. A couple shots of bourbon in a glass/mug of hot apple cider with a thin slice of lemon, a dash of all spice, and a cinnamon stick. For tonight, it is just right. Hope tomorrow's cook is every bit as perfect.

Last edited:
Guys, it's been a while since I've seen a new post.

Went to a raffle at a local liquor store today for Pappy/Buffalo Trace Antique Collection/Elijah Craig 21/etc and came away with this gem.  I feel like I won the lottery.

I have a new one to add to the favorites list. Big House Bourbon. Daaaaaang fine for the price. And as an added bonus they make a Honey Bourbon that has moved up to my number one for sweet sipping and cooking. I have read y'alls choices regarding the honey bourbons. The Evans is good, The Jack and the Jim didnt cut it for me (and I'm a Jack fan) My favorite was Wild Turkey's American Honey. Well it just got knocked back a spot like Alabama after the Iron Bowl. Big House's Tupelo Honey Bourbon (allegedly made with 100% Tupelo Honey) is smooth and yet retains the bourbon flavor. $20 bucks a bottle to boot!!

Well worth the try if you can find it.

When I was a teenager four decades ago we lived outside Chattanooga, TN in a town called Hixson.  Several times my family and neighbors made the trip to the JD distillery in Lynchburg, TN.  They'd always buy several used whiskey aging barrels for $7 each as I remember, at least that's the number that's stuck in my head.  They'd make patio furniture out of them.  Before they did that though they'd put the barrels in a laundry room, bung hole facing down over a sauce pan.  They'd turn on a portable dehumidifier, seal up the room for a day or so and when they came back there'd be about a pint of pure, barrel proof JD in the sauce pan.  I have no idea how it tasted but they always made a party out of the results.

When I was a teenager four decades ago we lived outside Chattanooga, TN in a town called Hixson.  Several times my family and neighbors made the trip to the JD distillery in Lynchburg, TN.  They'd always buy several used whiskey aging barrels for $7 each as I remember, at least that's the number that's stuck in my head.  They'd make patio furniture out of them.  Before they did that though they'd put the barrels in a laundry room, bung hole facing down over a sauce pan.  They'd turn on a portable dehumidifier, seal up the room for a day or so and when they came back there'd be about a pint of pure, barrel proof JD in the sauce pan.  I have no idea how it tasted but they always made a party out of the results.
holy moley

holy moley
Seeing where you are from Smokingreg brought back another JD memory.  I went to university at Vanderbilt from 73-77 on a Navy ROTC scholarship.  At the time there was someone from the owners of JD on the Vandy Board of Trustees.  Also at the time the legal drinking age was 18 not 21.  Consequently, for just about every year I was at school, there were "field trips" to the distillery.  You'd sign up in advance, ride a Greyhound type bus to Lynchburg, get a behind the scenes tour, then a HUGE picnic BBQ at the employee picnic grounds.  JD was available for consumption at the picnic.  It's a dry county so nothing could be sold but consuming was another issue I guess.  My head still hurts thinking about the bus rides back to Nashville but those trips are some of my favorite Vandy memories. 

I tried Kentucky Tavern for the first time, and was suprised, not bad, very inexpensive, good burn, and finish. What I liked the most was, as you went to take a sip, a very strong wood smoke aroma, made me think I had something on the smoker!:grilling_smilie:

Kentucky Tavern isn't wonderful, but it isn't the worst I've had.  If I'm going really cheap, though, I have to go with Evan Williams black label.  It's extraordinarily solid for it's price.

Some other good, cheap ones:

Old Grandad

Very Old Barton

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year

Benchmark

Rebel Yell (only if you like wheated bourbons like Weller and Pappy)

So last September we headed on a trip down the Snake and Columbia rivers to Astoria. I started the trip with a nice upper respiratory infection and bronchitis. Our travels buds noticed my hacking and Linda pipes up and says Oh...you've got to get some Jack Daniel's for that cough?? My response was Really?? (Not normally a bourbon drinker) She swore up and down it was the best cough/cold remedy going. So we swung by a liquor store in Spokane before heading to the boat. I floated couple of cubes in a glass of Dr. Jack and haven't coughed once since..... Now Dr. Jack is my smokin Partner......strictly for Medicinal Purposes of course....
30.gif

Thanks smokingreg for the list. I've been tring many different bourbans, my problem at this time, is we are in south west Fl. nearest store 45 min. We only drive in once a month. Thanks again for the list, I'm hoping to find these next time to town

SMOKED COCKTAILS 

I think this is the strangest thing I've ever seen. I was in a bar in Seattle the other night where they were doing this, and you can watch the owner, Jamie Boudreaux, explain and make one on YouTube. 

Since we can't link anymore, just go to YouTube and type in "How to smoke a cocktail".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky