At it again!! More spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bikr4jc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Ontario, California
Well another birthday party today for a friend, she asked me to make some ribs for her.  Using the 321, here it is around hour 2...

Left the top rack open for the tin pan when foiled....

I am "SO" drooling right now!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Got a good start there. Cant wait to see the money shots at the end. 

Something went wrong, they are at the end of the last hour and they are not falling off the bone, they seem a little tough, taste good but not real tender, should I let them go longer??  are they overdone??

Hmmmmmm.

If you did 3 hours on the smoker .Wrapped tightly in foil 2 hours and then back on the grate for an hour and the spares are not tender then i would bet that your temps are off. Sounds like you were cooking at a lower temp than you thought.

The ribs will not be falling off the bone but should easily pull clean from the bone when you take a bite.

If you want fall off the bone just unfoil and maybe go 15 min back in the heat.

after 3 hours I put them in a foil pan and tinfoiled the top...  will this work??  Is that my downfall....

most likely, yes that is where it went wrong.  normally when you foil you want to wrap each section of rib in their own tin foil and place them back on the grates like you had them for the first three hours.  if they were all on top of each other in that foil pan they likely did not get as cooked through as they would have if you foiled each individually. 

icon_cool.gif

I have to agree with Digital Pimp dude and I wrap each rack in foil with alittle bit of my spritzing liquid and then back into the smoker for the 2 hours. Really I like mine with alittle bit of pull so I go for the 1 1/2 maybe a tad less. I think that I would pitch the pan next time and just foil them seperate.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts, last weekend I wrapped individually and got good results, this time I thought I would try the pan.... Damm the pan......

Live and learn..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky