Aspring BBQ'er

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

onoku

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Denver, CO
Hi everyone, my name is Mike. I am 23 years old and a soldier in the US Army. I have refused to cook my whole life until I got married and now I am seeing the value in it. It is a man's duty to be able to cook delicious food and that is just what I plan to do (If my father heard me say that, I think it would bring a tear to his eye).

Anyhow, I am currently deployed, but before I left I started giving my hand at grilling. I just have one of those regular square charcoal grills. I tried to smoke ribs a few times by just putting soaked chips over the charcoal and then putting the ribs directly over the heat source. Obviously they didn't turn out quite like I had hoped... After reading around the site I have seen the error of my ways, so when I go home for R&R I will be asking for some advice so I can give it another go.

A little more about myself, I have been married to my beautiful wife, Dayoung, for a little over two years now. We have two dogs that are like our children (yeah, we are THOSE people). They are a border collie named Shinbi, and a chow chow named Saja. I'm originally from southwest Pennsylvania, so I'm a die hard Pittsburgh fan, whether it be the Steelers, Penguins, or my poor Pirates. That's it for now, I look forward to learning from the best!

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to SMF and thank you for your service.. There is great people here and lots to learn looking forward to see some off your Qview... happy smoking

Welcome aboard friend! Sounds like your new to barbecue so check out the free e-course offered here on the home page. It will set you in the right direction. Then just ask as many questions as you need. Don't give up early we all had a rough start!!

Also thank you for your service!!

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Thank you for your service it is truly appreciated. You'll find lots of good info and some great recipes here.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics, & even if you are an experienced smoker you may learn something new. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard. Don't forget we all love Qview!

Thanks, everyone. I signed up for the e-course yesterday and I am already learning new stuff.

Welcome to SMF, a great place for all you ever wanted to know and a never ending list of things you want to try. X Army myself, '65 to '68, and as fpnmf mentioned there are lots of Vets on here. Most men make great cooks as evidenced by the huge number of male cooks in the industry so you are in very good company there. I have no problem wearing an apron or working in a kitchen, it's as close as you can get to being a pirate in this modern world....lol. Best of luck with the deployment, be safe and thank you for your service.....Hoorah

I'll tell you what, the more I look at this site, the more excited I am to get started. There are so many things that I hadn't even considered doing such as cheese, turkeys, and chicken wings. mmmm! R&R can't come soon enough! My wife is going to have to drag me away from the grill kicking and screaming.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview. Thanks for your service!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky