Asparagus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Looking to start a new bed of asparagus this spring. The old bed is 23-25 years old and doesn't produce all that well. (expected)Went from a family of 4 to 2 so we still get enough but want to start new 1 before it's done. I can't remember what they are. I'd like to stay in the Jersey family and wondered if anybody had a preferred 1 & why.
Thanks in advance!

I know nothing about growing them other then you need a mound. Wallmart has Jersey Asparagus in the garden section
Richie

Interested also. . .
I know you want to stay in the Jersey family because they should be a all male strain. The males don't produce berries so all energy goes into the spears. Thought I'd put a feeler out to see if there is a preferred 1. There are 3. Jersey Giant, Jersey Knight, & Jersey Supreme. I think I'm going with the Knight & Supreme. Hope this help ya.

Funny you said that, My neighbor brought me some Asparagus that another neighbor gave him (Thinning out his bed I guess ??) Just got finished planting them .Don't have a clue what kind they are.

Gary

Oh you guys from Texas starting your gardens already. I have at least 6 weeks or more to start mine. Makes me jealous.

I live in Zone 9 central valley of California. I had a bed of the Jersey that got infected by aphids so I tore it out. I talked to the farm advisor about this and he recommended a new strain that was developed at UC Davis called UC157. I took my tiller and ran it 40 feet and shoveled the loose dirt out and did this several times . When the trench was about a foot deep I added bone and blood meal and soft phosphate rock and continued tilling and shoveling till it was 18" deep. Then I spread carp and other dead fish from my buddies fish farm in the bottom of the trench and added some compost from my pit. Then the dirt that was piled on the side of the trench went in till the depth was about 1 foot and I placed 2 strips of drip tape and then made little hills every 18" and started planting the crowns on these hills and backfilled with the treated soil till I had an inch of cover over the crowns. I added some more compost to the loose dirt and as the asparagus started emerging I added the loose soil until all the loose soil had formed a hill. Normally depending on the size of the crowns you don't want to start harvesting for 3 years but when you prepare a bed like this it's like using steroids ! This bed is going on it's 5th year and the asparagus spears are very large and we get enough for fresh meals and plenty left over to can and pickle. In the fall after the frost kill's the tops I run them through a shredder and add it and compost and poultry manure to the bed for next springs crop. And I haven't had any problems with the aphids with this variety. I would contact your local ag extension service and ask them what variety they recommend for your specific area. And if you put in the extra work preparing the bed it will produce for 20+ years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky