• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Asparagus

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 11, 2007
Looking to start a new bed of asparagus this spring. The old bed is 23-25 years old and doesn't produce all that well. (expected)Went from a family of 4 to 2 so we still get enough but want to start new 1 before it's done. I can't remember what they are. I'd like to stay in the Jersey family and wondered if anybody had a preferred 1 & why.
Thanks in advance!

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
I know nothing about growing them other then you need a mound. Wallmart has Jersey Asparagus in the garden section
Richie

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 11, 2007
Interested also. . .
I know you want to stay in the Jersey family because they should be a all male strain. The males don't produce berries so all energy goes into the spears. Thought I'd put a feeler out to see if there is a preferred 1. There are 3. Jersey Giant, Jersey Knight, & Jersey Supreme. I think I'm going with the Knight & Supreme. Hope this help ya.

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Funny you said that, My neighbor brought me some Asparagus that another neighbor gave him (Thinning out his bed I guess ??) Just got finished planting them .Don't have a clue what kind they are.

Gary

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 11, 2007
Oh you guys from Texas starting your gardens already. I have at least 6 weeks or more to start mine. Makes me jealous.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
In Michigan the rule of thumb is generally to wait until memorial day weekend to do any planting

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.