Asian Spicy Pork Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally got around to making more jerky. I hate cleaning the trays with a passion so do it infrequently. I am determined to find an easier cleanup unit or process as I’d like to make jerky monthly. My take on a recipe combining elements of @disco @xray and @Steve H : 10 lbs pork loin sliced roughly 1/4”. I slice across grain and then halve each slice. 2 1/4 cups Tamari (lower carb than soy), 2T toasted sesame oil, 4T chili garlic sauce, 1T fish sauce, 6T Brown Swerve, 2T Gojucharu pepper flakes, 2T onion powder, 2T garlic powder, 2 1/2T black pepper, 1 1/2t mustard powder, 1t MSG (optional) 2t Cure #1. Marinaded overnight and onto trays I read in serveral places you could use parchment paper to line trays Gave it a go to reduce cleanup. As expected it slowed down drying a lot at the 5 hour mark I moved all to direct rack what it did so was dry most of the marinade making the mess on racks minimal. All slices were sprinkled on both sides with red pepper flake. View attachment 663548All loaded up and rolling View attachment 663549I did go through the trays and remove finished pieces at about 8 hours and the balance took about 10 or so. Ran at 160F. Yielded 3 lbs 11 oz. Here is some today after spending the night inbags with paper towel in the frig. View attachment 663550View attachment 663551This batch is very delicious but perhaps not as good as the last batch. The ginger seemed a bit weak so I’ll taste test next time or buy fresh ground. Marinade time was about 12 hours which is shorter than my normal 24 which I’ll go back too and lastly I will not used reduced sodium Tamari next time. I had it on hand so used half that and half regular. Friends rave about this batch too but like all of you Im sure, I’m my own harshest critic. Thanks for looking!
Beautiful! Gonna try this. Question: looks like you didn't dry much if any coming from marinade to tray?

Reactions: jcam222
Beautiful! Gonna try this. Question: looks like you didn't dry much if any coming from marinade to tray?
I just let it drip off for a second. I like that extra marinade to glaze on the jerky. Extends drying time a lot but I like the result.

I just let it drip off for a second. I like that extra marinade to glaze on the jerky. Extends drying time a lot but I like the result.
Thanks, I think I will prefer it that way too. This got me going, cause HEB is always having sale on pork loins. And pork tenderloins!

Jeff this is the stuff my Son buys . I use it in sausage and stir fry . It's already pureed , and mixes in well .
1682381087265.jpeg
Stores in the freezer , then just push out what you need .
1682381056963.jpeg

Whoa Jeff!! What a fantastic looking match of jerky. That looks fantastic and congrats on a well deserved ride. As for the $30 / lb price you noted, that actually seems a bit low when taking into account the loss of product and time involved. There are some top shelf places around here selling beef and turkey jerky in the area of $50 per pound....and selling it by the ton. Guaranteed that it's not as good as yours.

Robert

Very nice! Ill pm you my address! lol
Haha you better beat the rest of the folks near me, they seem to devour it
That jerky came out looking real nice Jeff! I’m due to make another batch soon, one of the fishing buddies really likes it. It’s always a good snack to have squirrled away.
Thanks Joe. So glad you and Joe plaster versions of this. Inspired me to jump in.
Man that looks killer Jeff.
Thanks Brian
That is some excellent looking jerky, great job and thanks for laying out the recipe and process, it's very helpful for others!
Thanks and you are quite welcome.
That looks awesome... the perfect snack indeed.
Thanks, sure makes a good bite
Superb looking jerky Jeff. :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks!
Looks killer! I NEED to try something like this. For clean up: Oxy in HOT water. That s*** cleans anything. Let it sit until it cools then a light scrub. Easy peasy.
Thanks! I darn near guarantee this recipe, give it a go. Oxy as in Oxyclean?

Looks delicious Jcam! Congrats on the rotator ride. I think you are the first I’ve seen ride the spinner from a dehydrator post congratulations!
Thanks!
How would this be on the pellet smoker at 150 - 160F?
I think that would work great and give you some extra flavor too.
Looks awesome! Those wouldn’t last long here!
Thanks Jed! I really have to dole it out slow even to myself. I take a piece or threw up to the office. If I took a bag I’d eat it all lol.
That looks damn good. I ate up my last batch and need to make more.

Thanks!

I usually do beef, not pork and it takes 4-6 hours at 160*.

Whoa Jeff!! What a fantastic looking match of jerky. That looks fantastic and congrats on a well deserved ride. As for the $30 / lb price you noted, that actually seems a bit low when taking into account the loss of product and time involved. There are some top shelf places around here selling beef and turkey jerky in the area of $50 per pound....and selling it by the ton. Guaranteed that it's not as good as yours.

Robert
Thanks Robert!

Reactions: zwiller
Gojucharu pepper flakes
I'm thinking this might work? I took out three pieces of loin that been in freezer probably 4 or 5 years. Still sealed and have nothing to lose. I love tenderloin but not so much the loin. Was meaning to make canadian bacon but never did. Threw several fish out today that had lost seal. I got to stay away from grocery for a while!

IMG_20230425_144739379.jpg

Thanks! I darn near guarantee this recipe, give it a go. Oxy as in Oxyclean?
Yes Oxyclean. I get at the dollar store. We buy like 12 at a time. We use it THAT much.

Kid you not I made some of this (sorta) last night. Measured cure but otherwise just added this and that. Light soy, sriarcha, sesame oil, hoison, msg, I think. Used some loin that I pounded thin for schintzel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky