Asian Spicy Pork Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Finally got around to making more jerky. I hate cleaning the trays with a passion so do it infrequently. I am determined to find an easier cleanup unit or process as I’d like to make jerky monthly. My take on a recipe combining elements of disco disco xray xray and Steve H Steve H : 10 lbs pork loin sliced roughly 1/4”. I slice across grain and then halve each slice. 2 1/4 cups Tamari (lower carb than soy), 2T toasted sesame oil, 4T chili garlic sauce, 1T fish sauce, 6T Brown Swerve, 2T Gojucharu pepper flakes, 2T onion powder, 2T garlic powder, 2 1/2T black pepper, 1 1/2t mustard powder, 1to 2 t ginger powder, 1t MSG (optional) 2t Cure #1. Marinaded overnight and onto trays I read in serveral places you could use parchment paper to line trays Gave it a go to reduce cleanup. As expected it slowed down drying a lot at the 5 hour mark I moved all to direct rack what it did so was dry most of the marinade making the mess on racks minimal. All slices were sprinkled on both sides with red pepper flake.
76F79457-6912-4D36-97F3-B70D610CE6BC.jpeg
All loaded up and rolling
2B4C63AF-460D-417D-8A99-063AB57707EF.jpeg
I did go through the trays and remove finished pieces at about 8 hours and the balance took about 10 or so. Ran at 160F. Yielded 3 lbs 11 oz. Here is some today after spending the night inbags with paper towel in the frig.
E5966BB8-ADF8-4535-8C73-85055A2EF2CE.jpeg
58078CB8-F6D3-4F48-898F-6725F4EE18AD.jpeg
This batch is very delicious but perhaps not as good as the last batch. The ginger seemed a bit weak so I’ll taste test next time or buy fresh ground. Marinade time was about 12 hours which is shorter than my normal 24 which I’ll go back too and lastly I will not used reduced sodium Tamari next time. I had it on hand so used half that and half regular. Friends rave about this batch too but like all of you Im sure, I’m my own harshest critic. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice. Excellent looking jerky. I use ginger in my favorite recipe, but I watch how much I use very carefully as it can over power quickly. That looks like the dehydrator I have. Nesco 75 or something like that. I too hate scrubbing those trays, but once I get started cleaning them it goes pretty quick. I fill the sink deep enough to soak two at a time in warm soapy water and go at them with a long handle sink brush. Stack em up and then rinse with the sink hose. Takes about 15 minutes start to finish.

Reactions: nicefly and jcam222
Sounds delicious! Should get more jerky made as well... lots of tractor cab time coming up!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
I may sell a lbs as I’ve had a request. I feel like small batch hand craft is worth $30 / lbs. seems on line with things in the markets around me. Y’all think that’s a directionally fair price?

Reactions: JLeonard
I may sell a lbs as I’ve had a request. I feel like small batch hand craft is worth $30 / lbs. seems on line with things in the markets around me. Y’all think that’s a directionally fair price?
Are you talking about beef. Or pork jerky? When you consider that some of the "craft" places are charging 9.00 to 12.00 for 2.5 oz of beef jerky. I would say that your price is quite fair.

Looks good Jeff .
The ginger seemed a bit weak so I’ll taste test next time or buy fresh ground.
My Son brought some home that's frozen in a blister pack . Each section the size of a garlic clove . Great stuff . Just push out what you need .

Looks good from here Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice. Excellent looking jerky. I use ginger in my favorite recipe, but I watch how much I use very carefully as it can over power quickly. That looks like the dehydrator I have. Nesco 75 or something like that. I too hate scrubbing those trays, but once I get started cleaning them it goes pretty quick. I fill the sink deep enough to soak two at a time in warm soapy water and go at them with a long handle sink brush. Stack em up and then rinse with the sink hose. Takes about 15 minutes start to finish.

Looks great to me! I'll take a pound or four off your hands!

Jim

Sounds delicious! Should get more jerky made as well... lots of tractor cab time coming up!

Ryan

Nice work Jeff! I'm about to make another batch soon.

Tasty looking jerky, really like pork jerky! I need to make some, thanks for the reminder!
Thanks guys! Friends have been enjoying this batch. It’s hotter than usual for some reason, the pepper flakes must have been hotter.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Are you talking about beef. Or pork jerky? When you consider that some of the "craft" places are charging 9.00 to 12.00 for 2.5 oz of beef jerky. I would say that your price is quite fair.
Yep I’m sticking to that price, any less and I’ll eat it or share it with friends! One lbs pays off most of the batch that way.
Looks good Jeff .

My Son brought some home that's frozen in a blister pack . Each section the size of a garlic clove . Great stuff . Just push out what you need .
That’s cool! I’ve not seen that.
Tasty looking jerky, really like pork jerky! I need to make some, thanks for the reminder!
I really like using the pork. Tastes great to me and costs so much less than beef.

That jerky came out looking real nice Jeff! I’m due to make another batch soon, one of the fishing buddies really likes it. It’s always a good snack to have squirrled away.

That is some excellent looking jerky, great job and thanks for laying out the recipe and process, it's very helpful for others!

Looks killer! I NEED to try something like this. For clean up: Oxy in HOT water. That s*** cleans anything. Let it sit until it cools then a light scrub. Easy peasy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky