Asian smoked duck .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
I need a tune up game before Xmas day roast duck so I am busting this out.

I will brine duck in beer,salt sugar,cut oranges,soy,star anise,cardamon,cinnamon stick for about 6 hours . Spatchcock it then smoke it over pecan or similar .

Then I will cut it up with a cleaver & put it over a salad of watercress,pomelo,spanish onion & mango.There will be a dressing of Thai origins over the top.

I often do this with those BBQ ducks from chinatown .Great summer dish.

Those chinese guys really know how to use a cleaver
77.gif
,I will give mine a sharpen before I attempt it
icon_eek.gif

2 x bottles of beer ,4 cardamon pods bashed with flat of cleaver, cinnamon stick,thumb size bit of ginger sliced,3 cloves of garlic smashed,pinch of sichuan pepper, 2 kaffir lime leaves, 1 large orange, 2 tabs of salt 4 tabs brown sugar , 5 tabs light soy sauce.Then topped up with water to cover.

I will set the rest out as I do it but its pretty simple.Dressing will be lime juice,palm sugar ,soy,sesame oil,rice vinegar ,fish sauce,chilli oil.

Reactions: pauladelaine

Recipes and pics to share?
Thats the brine.Its mango season down here so I like it as a salad ingredient ,the pomelo & lime cut the fattiness of the duck,I might stick some fried peanuts in there.Watercress gives it a bit of bite.

I got the recipe years ago tweaked it over time.I spent plenty of time in Vancouver its got a good Chinatown,its a quick throw together that impresses people if you can buy the duck already cooked & chopped.You just need to warm it,arrange it pour the dressing over it.

Regards Mick

Hey Mick,

Merry Christmas coming up, and hope all is well with you and yours!  Your brined smoked duck looks off to a great start.  I've never had any success with cooking a whole duck, so I always part mine out and sear the breasts, confit the legs/thighs.  I'm looking forward to learning from your technique.

Your salad sounds very flavorful and festive.  Perfect for a warm and sunny Christmas Day!  

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your thread.

Take care,

Clarissa

Turned out really well.Added mint leaves to salad.Duck was 2 hours over apple at 110c.

Done just right.Under pressure because I was trying to work out my late mothers Xmas cake recipe at the same time.
biggrin.gif

Dressing was juice ,zest of 3 limes,sugar,fish sauce sesame oil,chilli oil,rice vinegar,light soy.

I have great respect for those guys who wield cleavers. I got in done but kept it in bigger bits.

Absolutely gorgeous!  I love the citrus fruit and mango in your salad.  I'm sure the flavors were amazing.  

Thanks so much for sharing, and Merry Christmas!
Clarissa

That looks wonderful! Well done. I'll work on doing that this next week, or just after Christmas. I appreciate seeing the pics. With the skin down for the first hour, did it let out enough fat to crisp up the skin at all, Mick?

Glad you all liked it.
I actually left in breast down the whole time. skin was crisp ,duck very moist.
The mix of pomelo,lime,mango is a winner with the richness of duck.
The price differential made me go whole duck, pity I didn't have pecan pellets.

Looks awesome Moikel....I so miss fresh mangos...our place in QLD had a bowen in the back yard....soooooo good!

Mango season a bit patchy this year.
My GF likes Kensington Prides,I like Bowens & R2 s, Calypso & just about all types.
Hope the quality picks up over January.

Beautiful presentation, and I know that the duck must have had a bright crisp taste. Duck is one of my favorites, guess its lucky that I live where I do.

I bet you impressed the GF! Great looking meal.

Oh and that meat cleaver...... I have lusted after Tom's meat cleaver since I first saw it! OMG its plumb sexy! Ok, yes it a amazing looking ham, but just check out the cleaver, that sucker's got character.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/134415/country-cured-ham-from-go-to-show-q-view-updated-6-10-13

First page, Picture 20, 21

RAWR!!!!

That's a serious cleaver! Mine is Chinese from the Hong Kong Chopper Company.
The Chinese really know how to use them with finesse.
It's not hard to accumulate knives,I love them.

Mango's are my wife's favorite fruit, send me a can !!!

Gary

Awesome looking smoke duck salad!!!

I was planning on doing something similar today... I woke up with 25 cows in the yard!

Here's some of the mangoes we got last season...

Thats the mother load of mangos.

People up north get very blasé about them because everybody has a tree.

I have done a few green mango & green paw Thai salads threads .

You are lucky to have so many available.

There is that Indian tradition of mango chutney but I haven't made it.

The big central wholesale market sold 3000 boxes of mangos today. They expect to sell 7000 more by Xmas day.Cherries also very popular.
Fish market will trade 36 hours straight until 5 pm Xmas Eve . Yes we do turkey & ham but the is a real focus on seafood served cold on Xmas day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky