Asian Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everything looks delicious Charles. Great work and very easy to follow write up. Congrats on the ride.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Good looking meal! I’ve never used the 5 spice. May have to find some.
Thank you! The 5 spice can easily be made if you have the ingredients, but I would imagine that most folks don't have them. If I thought I'd use it more often, I'd buy the spices and make my own, but it's easier to just buy it. I couldn't find it at any mainstream grocer so I bought mine at an Asian grocery store...

Beautiful looking meal Charles and a nice write up with the photos too! I could definitely get behind a meal like this.

I’ve done bok choy a few times but always seem to forget about it. I’m gonna have to start incorporating it after seeing yours.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Beautiful looking meal Charles and a nice write up with the photos too! I could definitely get behind a meal like this.

I’ve done bok choy a few times but always seem to forget about it. I’m gonna have to start incorporating it after seeing yours.
Thank you, I really appreciate that. I try to thoroughly explain what I did on the chance that someone may want to try it and I can get long winded. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words and pictures help me understand things better, so...:emoji_wink:

I had some boneless/skinless thighs in the freezer and wanted to do something with them, something other than grilled or fried, so decided to try something Asian. I found a couple of different recipes on here and the interweb and combined and loosely followed them. Here we go...

Most of the ingredients...
  • 2 small packs of B/S thighs. 12 total thighs.
  • 5 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 1 bunch of green onions
  • 1 bunch of Bok Choy
  • 2 jars of Smuckers Sugar Free Red Raspberry Preserves
  • Chinese 5 spice powder
  • 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
  • Course salt & pepper
  • 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
  • Low sodium soy sauce
View attachment 654414

Dusted the thighs with the 5 spice powder and pan seared about 3-4 minutes on each side in EVOO. A little 5 spice will go a long way...
View attachment 654415
View attachment 654416

Once all the chicken was browned, I added 3 stalks of chopped green onions to the pan and sauted for a couple of minutes then I added about half of the chopped garlic for another minute or so...
View attachment 654417

Next I added the 2 jars of preserves, chicken broth, and the vinegar. Bring to a boil stirring to get everything incorporated and allowed to thicken...
View attachment 654418
View attachment 654419
Add in the chicken and simmer stirring to get everything coated and allow the sauce to get kind of syrupy.

Meanwhile I had coarsely chopped the Bok Choy and into a skillet with EVOO and the rest of the chopped garlic, to saute. Turning frequently just until it gets some color and the greens begin to wilt. Add in maybe 2 TBSP of the soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste, and toss some more to coat it all...
View attachment 654420
View attachment 654421

Served over chicken flavored Ramen noodles, yes the ones that are 25¢/pack from Walmart, topped with some more chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Time to eat...
View attachment 654423

I chose the Ramen noodles because I had them, we keep them here for the grands. These are the ones from Walmart that are about $3.00 for 12. I also keep the sugar free jelly here for my morning toast or PB&J sandwiches. This meal would also be good with rice noodles, white rice, or pasta as some other suggestions. I don't cook Bok Choy very often and had forgotten how mildly flavored it was. It would make an excellent side vegetable for many dishes...
Great looking meal! Yeah bok choy is one I don't fool with often and I think takes a little tinkering with to dial in. Not my favorite green at all lol :D

Man the asian theme cooks are killing me! Got my tummy growling and the mouth watering.
This will have to be tried soon,
JIm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky