As the Brisket turns....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burgi57Chevy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
Marin County, California
And here we go!!!! Got a 12.22 lb packer, cost $3.37 lb for total $41.18. Got it at a local restaurant supply store.

I trimmed it tonight, was more nervous as I cut the bag open. You can see I scalped a few spots. But I figure gotta start somewhere.

It’s going on Smitty at 0400 tomorrow morning. So keep an eye out for updates!!!

B8F3CC69-A037-4C9B-A5FF-46AC839B8BDC.jpeg
16807F57-C7D0-49B2-A243-3D9785FE7B19.jpeg
CDF50905-0C16-4580-8140-F47ACEA522FF.jpeg
D69E6861-5DC3-4ECC-B6AE-C4FA2CEC5742.jpeg
6E00228D-3245-4901-9180-A73B548C1A69.jpeg

just salt and pepper huh? must be a little Texan in this CA. boy. good with the brisket.

Ok....... after 12 hrs and 40 mins..... temp hit 199 and when I proved it..... it felt tender and like butter... so I pulled it left it in the paper wrapper and wrapped in foil and put to bed in the cooler.... planning on 2 hrs...... I’m a bit nervous..... see how it goes...

22205C3D-DE20-4ACE-8B11-6D151594027E.jpeg

The above is about 4 hrs in...

F6959802-51FF-4FDC-8684-76D891EE1FD2.jpeg
6D044504-79AA-4ADE-B6F6-40618C8F5804.jpeg
Ok....... after 12 hrs and 40 mins..... temp hit 199 and when I proved it..... it felt tender and like butter... so I pulled it left it in the paper wrapper and wrapped in foil and put to bed in the cooler.... planning on 2 hrs...... I’m a bit nervous..... see how it goes...

Ok..... here goes.... my 1st of many to come!!!!! I learned a few things..

1- Do t be afraid to remove fat, left it too thick on parts.

2- when probing for tenderness, don’t force it tender in your head.

3- Don’t over think it.

4- When moving from the wrap to the cutting board.... have a good grip on that bad-boy!!!!

5- try not to do this in the rain.... it stressed me out!

Overall it was very tasty and tender, but could have gone long and it would have been better. I think I was to worried I was going to dry it out or over cook it.

I need to trust the process!

Over all I am very happy with my result!!

Thanks for all your support!!!!!

Attachments

• 22E1589C-E204-4617-BAEE-2E9D2E4D4DBE.jpeg
    22E1589C-E204-4617-BAEE-2E9D2E4D4DBE.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1957479B-5705-49F1-9954-6A805773ED72.jpeg
    1957479B-5705-49F1-9954-6A805773ED72.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 8B8238A4-7D96-45A6-A4EA-AB6D5822661A.jpeg
    8B8238A4-7D96-45A6-A4EA-AB6D5822661A.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 0171C506-9ED5-430C-88A0-40B783FECFBE.jpeg
    0171C506-9ED5-430C-88A0-40B783FECFBE.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 26B83426-9F7E-4A97-A47B-878940122757.jpeg
    26B83426-9F7E-4A97-A47B-878940122757.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 73
- When moving from the wrap to the cutting board.... have a good grip on that bad-boy!!!!

Slippery sucker...lol.

It looks good. It passes finger bend test. Great smoke ring. Did you get an internal temp on it? The IT combined with it being probe tender might give you a better idea of when it's done to your liking. Probe tender, like going into warm butter, in several spots is the final judge.

The condition of the brisket when you start is believed to contribute to the ultimate tenderness. The more it bends, the better. Sometimes cryovac packing can restrict the bend though.

Reactions: Burgi57Chevy
Ok..... here goes.... my 1st of many to come!!!!! I learned a few things..

1- Do t be afraid to remove fat, left it too thick on parts.

2- when probing for tenderness, don’t force it tender in your head.

3- Don’t over think it.

4- When moving from the wrap to the cutting board.... have a good grip on that bad-boy!!!!

5- try not to do this in the rain.... it stressed me out!

Overall it was very tasty and tender, but could have gone long and it would have been better. I think I was to worried I was going to dry it out or over cook it.

I need to trust the process!

Over all I am very happy with my result!!

Thanks for all your support!!!!!

Hi there and welcome!

That is a good job for a 1st attempt on a brisket!
I think you discovered a lot of good lessons learned.
Also I noticed that you put the meat probe in the point. The point is hard to mess up, hits temp and gets tender waaaaaay before the flat does. That flat is the problem child. Next brisket try putting the meat probe in the thickest yet center most portion of the flat (usually in the area where the flat and point come together). Be careful to keep the probe in the flat muscle and not in-between the flat and the point where there is a layer of fat.

If you are worried about drying out some of the brisket buy ones that are 15 pounds or heavier (if the wallet can handle that) and trim the thin portion of the flat away like this image suggests:

Repurpose that good carved away meat so it gets put to good use. I have some options posted here since I do the same thing https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-brisket-flat-trimming-approach-explained-qview.286564/
The easiest thing to do with that meat (in my opinion) is to just throw the chunk of meat in with the brisket and pull the chunk when it is done rather than letting it cook the whole time with the rest of the brisket and becoming crusted up trash can fodder. If you don't carve that piece away it often becomes crusted trash while on the brisket anyhow, hence the recommendation to carve and repurpose it :)
If you pull it early or take an approach like the one in that link I posted you can end up with more good brisket meat :)

I think you learned that you can trick yourself while probing for tenderness. Simply stab all over INCLUDING the thickest yet center most portion of the flat and when it is tender ALL OVER then you know it is done. That thick center most portion of the flat (in the middle of the whole brisket) is usually the last to go so don't avoid checking it for tenderness lol.

Finally, be prepared to learn something new each time you cook a brisket. There are always areas to tweak and improve upon. Whether it is trimming, seasoning, smoke wood parings, wrapped (foil or butcher paper), going naked (my preference vs foil wrapped, never paper wrapped myself), smoker arrangement for loading/unloading the meat, slicing approaches, holding approaches, smoking temp preferences (I prefer 275F), etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy it and welcome to the world of brisket! :emoji_blush:

Reactions: Burgi57Chevy
Hi there and welcome!

That is a good job for a 1st attempt on a brisket!
I think you discovered a lot of good lessons learned.
Also I noticed that you put the meat probe in the point. The point is hard to mess up, hits temp and gets tender waaaaaay before the flat does. That flat is the problem child. Next brisket try putting the meat probe in the thickest yet center most portion of the flat (usually in the area where the flat and point come together). Be careful to keep the probe in the flat muscle and not in-between the flat and the point where there is a layer of fat.

If you are worried about drying out some of the brisket buy ones that are 15 pounds or heavier (if the wallet can handle that) and trim the thin portion of the flat away like this image suggests:

Repurpose that good carved away meat so it gets put to good use. I have some options posted here since I do the same thing https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-brisket-flat-trimming-approach-explained-qview.286564/
The easiest thing to do with that meat (in my opinion) is to just throw the chunk of meat in with the brisket and pull the chunk when it is done rather than letting it cook the whole time with the rest of the brisket and becoming crusted up trash can fodder. If you don't carve that piece away it often becomes crusted trash while on the brisket anyhow, hence the recommendation to carve and repurpose it :)
If you pull it early or take an approach like the one in that link I posted you can end up with more good brisket meat :)

I think you learned that you can trick yourself while probing for tenderness. Simply stab all over INCLUDING the thickest yet center most portion of the flat and when it is tender ALL OVER then you know it is done. That thick center most portion of the flat (in the middle of the whole brisket) is usually the last to go so don't avoid checking it for tenderness lol.

Finally, be prepared to learn something new each time you cook a brisket. There are always areas to tweak and improve upon. Whether it is trimming, seasoning, smoke wood parings, wrapped (foil or butcher paper), going naked (my preference vs foil wrapped, never paper wrapped myself), smoker arrangement for loading/unloading the meat, slicing approaches, holding approaches, smoking temp preferences (I prefer 275F), etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy it and welcome to the world of brisket! :emoji_blush:

Hi there!!!!

Good to know on the prob location. Also what a great visual on the trimming! I will indefinably use that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky