ARRRGH - gonna do it myself

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote-1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Been trying to get the add-on ring to make the Weber kettle into a rotisserie. I don't need the motor or rod or any of that, Ijust need the ring and the bracket.

The whole assembly is $150.

The ring part is $80.

I looked at the ring, and it's somewhat ill-fitting; too much smoke would escape.

$20 worth of sheet steel and some patience ought suffuce. I certainly can make a better fit, and I'll be able to collapse it so it takes much less storage space. The only thing I can't manage is Weber's seemingly indestructible coating.

after yo get the ring made ,sand it down and wipe it off with thinner,let it dry

prime then paint ,it should look good for a long time

It's all in the prep 

That's a good point, and one I have considered. After all, we mod our smokers to draw from grate level. Nonetheless I'm not quite satisfied with either the fit or the height of the ring. I'm thinking it should rest where the cooking grate rests, and provide another inch+ clearance both top and bottom. The clearways required for the rotisserie rod ought be enough to create enough draw at all times.

The ring does fit rather loose.  I just close off the dampers and let it draw from its leaks.

Keep us posted on the build.  Thanks

It gets worse.

The ring alone is $109. Seems preposterous when an entire kettle is available for $90.

But I'm also having a devil of a time finding steel! I want two pieces, 12" x 40". Cheapest I'm getting is a 4x8 16ga sheet for $54, and then cutting fees. The alternative is HomeDepot's 22ga 12"x24" sheets for $11 each, and I'd need four. Then it would have to be bolted together, and 22ga might be a bit light.

I just might end up buying the Weber ring after all. We'll see.  More research is needed; good thing I'm not in a hurry.

any local machine or fab shops ?

You can get pieces from them and the can roll it for you.

Last edited:
That's because it's a porcelain finish. A kind of glass really. The steel is heated red hot then the porcelain in power form is applied where it melts together and fuses with the steel itself. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky