" Arroz con Leche " Smoked Mexican Rice Pudding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
" Arroz con Leche " Smoked Mexican Rice Pudding

Been wanting to do this for a while now . But playing with different recipes so I could do in the smoker instead of just on the stove top.
And here it is and it turned out really good.
I know Rice pudding is made everywhere in lots of countries . So what makes this one Mexican. One of the main differences that I could see is from the use of cinnamon sticks right in the rice cook and using sweetened condensed milk with the other milks, and powered cinnamon and nutmeg in the milk blend. As far as I can see.

I cooked the rice first and than drained and let cool.
Mixed all my milks together, spices and vanilla extract and 1 beaten egg . I added 1/2 cup raisins
this is just a preference thing. Some like it some don't. I like raisins, so in they went

( I don't know what happened to the first 2 pictures I took of the milk blend and rice mixed in. Must be cyber dust somewhere )

1.JPG

Spooned into Ramekins in a large dish of hot water than into the smoker at approx 300 deg. with Mesquite chunks
that was still pumping from suppers " Brined Rib with Sweet Cherry Soya Glaze " see link below if interested.

Took 45 minutes +/- , after 20 minutes , gave them a light stir from bottom up. At the last 10 minute mark
top them off with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Close up of the texture. Very creamy and smooth. Not dry at all like I thought it might end up being.

6.JPG

Added a little whipped cream to mine , just cause i'm down a little on my sweetness. so I am told

7.JPG

served hot, but it is good cold also.

These were very good and Mona who says she is not crazy about all the smoked foods lately did not seem to have a problem inhaling 1 of these. LOL

This will happen again sometime over the next month or so .

This was tonight's supper : ...

Thanks for looking

David

Last edited:
Outstanding David! I know that has to taste phenomena. I grew up on my Grandmas rice pudding with raisins. Always loved it and tapioca.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Outstanding David! I know that has to taste phenomena. I grew up on my Grandmas rice pudding with raisins. Always loved it and tapioca.

Thanks Jeff for the comment

It was really good , and a nice creamy texture. I played around with it until I thought it would work in the smoker
And I must say Yes it did.

I hate to say it But my mom was a good cook from what I remember. She passed when I was 12 .
But she cooked us boiled rice and through in raisins. It was like glue. We were allowed to pound the milk and sugar to it. To us it was a great treat for dessert when she made it . But thinking back pretty sad really. But fantastic memories of her.

David

Thanks Jeff for the comment

It was really good , and a nice creamy texture. I played around with it until I thought it would work in the smoker
And I must say Yes it did.

I hate to say it But my mom was a good cook from what I remember. She passed when I was 12 .
But she cooked us boiled rice and through in raisins. It was like glue. We were allowed to pound the milk and sugar to it. To us it was a great treat for dessert when she made it . But thinking back pretty sad really. But fantastic memories of her.

David
Cold rice with milk and sugar was one of my favorite night time snacks as a kid :)

I’m not much for sweets these days my friend, but I’d have no problem chowing down on that! Well done, that has to be tasty!

Not a huge dessert fan but I do love rice pudding. This is taking it to a whole 'nother level. I might have to change up my menu for an upcoming dinner and add this to it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Robert

Not a huge dessert fan but I do love rice pudding. This is taking it to a whole 'nother level. I might have to change up my menu for an upcoming dinner and add this to it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

It was fun to figure out how to do this so it worked in the smoker, as it is normally all done on the stove top. So if I did all that , than into the smoker it would have come out like a brick.
But as you can see it was very nice and creamy . And full of flavor.

David

David, I do believe you have a winner here!! I've always loved rice pudding (with raisins), so you gotta know I'll be giving this a whirl.
Gary

Thanks Gary for the love and the comment

It was fun to get the amounts just right so I could do in the smoker. It was very good . Creamy and sweet. We both really loved it

David

Missed this but it looks great David! No sweets allowed in the house due to the wife's diet but that would be worth the risk !

Keith

Missed this but it looks great David! No sweets allowed in the house due to the wife's diet but that would be worth the risk !

Keith

Thanks Keith for the like and the comment

I not telling you to go against any DIET , but this is great ....and it is not diet food for sure with all the sweet milks and stuff

But it's so good

David

Reactions: 912smoker
For all who asked for the how to, I am sorry I have been quite busy . And I know that is no excuse
So here it is

For
Gary and John GaryHibbert GaryHibbert , chilerelleno chilerelleno and everyone else
DSC_5269.JPG

If you can't make out my messy hand witting just ask and I will fix you up.
It took maybe 3 tries to get it so I was happy with it.
If it is too runny for you just leave in a little longer . I just test by using a knife blade to see. Mine was set around 45 minutes. Remember to stir lightly after about 10 minutes to help bring up the rice if it settled any.
I added a dusting of cinnamon and some extra brown sugar 10 minutes before it came out of smoker. In case you can't make that out on the recipe. :)

and 1 last look just to make you want some

6.JPG

David

Think that last look dang near makes you a flirt David! But I'm good with that...looks scrumptious!

Ryan

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky