Are the Wooden Scrapers any good for properly cleaning you grill? Or a waste of money?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

magnoliasmoker

Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
Lee County, MS
Are all of these wooden grill scrapers that I see any good? The ones where you have to used your heated grates to burn grooves in them? Trying to find the safest thing for my Char-Griller with porcelain covered iron grates. Advice please on your experiences with this type cleaner, or one you recommend?

I just you a cheap spoon and let it wear into fitting the grate grooves. Works great, but I'd welcome something wider if anyone has any ideas.

Reactions: magnoliasmoker
That is what I use ,as I have lots of pine kicking around. I just cut mine approx 4" wide , Angle the end and just use it to wear the grate grooves into it. ( not as good as wire brush, but I don't have to worry about pieces of wire in my food anymore )

David

Reactions: magnoliasmoker
I had a bunch of off fall from a fence job I did , so I made a couple . You can buy the 6' X 6" X 5/8 fence board for a couple bucks . Get 3 scrapers out of it . I mostly used a wad of heavy duty foil and a pair of tongs .
20220822_070322.jpg

I had a bunch of off fall from a fence job I did , so I made a couple . You can buy the 6' X 6" X 5/8 fence board for a couple bucks . Get 3 scrapers out of it . I mostly used a wad of heavy duty foil and a pair of tongs .
View attachment 641683
I've seen that product, but wonder how long they last? Great idea on the fence boards to make one, thanks Rich.

View attachment 641683
I use a similar wood one. It works fine. Never tried the wad of foil. I am going to give that a shot too. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: chopsaw
Never tried the wad of foil. I am going to give that a shot too. Thanks for the idea.
That's my go to . Works well and goes in the trash . I also have a garden trowel with the wood handle removed and replaced with a 2' 0" section of thin wall conduit . I can move coals around and scrape or rotate the grate on my Weber's .
So maybe I should rephrase my question, for porcelain coated iron grill grates, what's the simplest and best
I knew what you asked , and think the wood scraper you asked about was the answer .
I didn't get to deep into it because of that , but ,,,
Like surfaces won't scratch . So as long as you don't use anything made of a harder compound than the porcelain you should be good . Like the wood or a wad of foil as mentioned .

I stopped with the tinfoil cleaning as it was leaving shreds of the tinfoil behind on the grill... I saw the wooden scrapers but wasnt sure how well they hold up.

You mentioned safety to your grates. Let me also mention the health/safety risk to you (and your family) in using wire brush bristles. Even if they might not damage your grates, wires can pull out, stick to the grate, transfer to your food, and do some major damage to your digestive track.

I'm not saying I never use wire brushes, but you have to look extra carefully afterwards to ensure there are no wires left behind. For me that means having plenty of light, esp important at nighttime.

I found a stuck wire on a grate the other night. Another reason why using a wooden scraper (that's worn in to the particular grate I'm using) is really growing on me.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Wire brush here with a good paper towel wipe after, I very rarely have a lot of sauces stuck to the grate that would tear up a tinfoil clean, tinfoil has gotten $$$

Steven Riachlen mentions the wire bristles as a potential issue. Yet he uses both wood and wire on his shows. I moved on from porcelain to stainless steel grates due to chipping and rust.

Reactions: chopsaw
A lot of folks here swear by putting grates in the dishwasher, each and every time.
I can't afford a divorce lawyer, so I haven't tried it.

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky