1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Are LEM grinders overated

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by BC Buck, Dec 31, 2018.

1. BC Buck

BC Buck Newbie

MO
    My second grind I use a medium grind plate with stuffing tube. My grinder is slow but stuffing tube has nothing to do with that. Going to keep meat cool, moist and smaller in diameter than feed throat to try speeding feed process.

2. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I would do the 2d grind seperate from stuffing then use the stuffing plate with stuffer. Should go quicker.

3. biteme7951

biteme7951 Smoking Fanatic

Grinders are engineered to grind meat fast. Stuffers are engineered to stuff meat fast. It's all about having the right tools for the job at hand, and since you are talking about 100's of pounds of meat, consider buying the biggest stuffer that your budget will allow.

Barry.

4. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

X2 on Barry's post.

5. JckDanls 07

JckDanls 07 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

My theory is... When using the grinder to stuff, you are essentially grinding a third time.. myself... I only regrind half (through small plate) of all the first grind (coarse) and then mix the two grinds back together... I have a Cabelas commercial 1/2 hp grinder (it's a beast) and it has the stuffing attachment with a funneled down tube that also has an auger in it... The attachment has never been touched with meat (never used)...

So I would agree with a community stuffer at camp and then have personal stuffers at home... another advantage to this is easier transportation of the ground meat home... you can carry more meat (bulk) in ziplock bags in the cooler rather than have a 100 lbs or more (each member) pre-stuffed.. I know refridgerated space is usually very limited when traveling ..

X3 with Barry

6. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Use a dedicated stuffer. A grinder is a grinder - a stuffer is a stuffer. I have LEm 8, a Lem22, and a Enterprise 32 grinder. I like the #22 the best, it is a Hoss. the 8 is really not worth the effort, and we only break out the #32 when we have a whole lot of meat to do.On the stuffer I have a 11lb vertical 2 speed and a 10lb Dakota water stuffer.Each has its merits. I like the water stuffer when I am by myself with no help. The vertical I like for boudin and Summer sausage and stuffing 1-2 lb freezer bags of ground meat. You can chuck a 1/2 cordless drill to it for easy stuffing on low speed. Just my thoughts.

HT

7. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's what I've always done (dedicated grinder, and separate dedicated stuffer). Every grinder I've owned came with one of those "bean shaped stuffing plates" so that's why I was wondering if anyone was using the grinder that way. Hell, I'd rather have another grinder plate instead of a useless stuffer plate.

8. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Double post.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Trust me when I say this-get a dedicated sausage stuffer. Even if it is just a 5lb. model. Especially with that much meat to stuff!

The problem with using a grinder to stuff is that the back pressure necessary to force air pockets out of the links slows the grinder down to a crawl. When this happens the meat just turns in one spot and you get sections of sausage in the links that are just mush. The texture is too inconsistent IMO. I will never use a grinder as a stuffer as long as I have a dedicated stuffer.

10. slapaho_injun

slapaho_injun Smoke Blower

Thanks guys. I'll get the separate stuffer.......suggestions? I want a 20# or better with metal gears. Are there better ones out there you like, other than LEM?