Apple Cider Butternut Squash Casserole

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by ranger72, Feb 16, 2006.

1. ranger72

ranger72 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Hello All!

Last night I was smoking up a nice little Pork Tenderloin for me and Mrs. Ranger and I began to think of what sides I wanted to go with it and I saw that I had a Butternut Squash. So I thought Hmmmm... that would be good!

So I began to Peel it and I saw a little green sticky tag on the side of the squash...So I read it! It was the most delightful little recipe which was easy and quick and I just happened to have all the ingredients necessary to do it.

It was terrific with the smoked pork tenderloin. Here it is:

1 Butternut Squash

Enough Apple Cider to Cover Squash

Two Tablespoons of Minced Onion

2 Teaspoons of finely grated Fresh Ginger Root

2 Teaspoons of Nutmeg

2 Eggs

1 Cup light cream or Half and Half will do

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Peel and dice squash placing in saucepan covering with Apple Cider and cook well until soft

Drain Squash and reserve the remaining cooking liquid-Set aside for a minute

Place the cooked squash in a buttered Pyrex Baking dish...Then sprinkle evenly the Onion, Ginger Root, Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper over the squash

Now beat the Eggs and Light Cream well together (in a separate dish) and pour egg/cream mixture over the Squash

Now take about half of the remaining cooking liquid and pour very gently onto the mixture and place baking dish into your oven Pre-Heated to 350 degrees

Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until mixture sets up nicely and starts to brown nicely and get bubbly...

It was very good and if I hadn't been paying attention to detail I never would have spotted the little green sticky and would have missed out.

Hope you like it :)

ranger72 8)

2. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds pretty tasty, Ranger. I think I'll just copy this one over to my "Things I gotta try" file. :)

Cheers,
    Brian

3. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Just think how wonderful it would taste if you put in into the smoker during a smoke session-MMMmmmm!!!

4. jlloyd99

jlloyd99 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

I wonder if you could first smoke the squash, maybe by peeling it and then "roasting" it in the smoker. Then cutting it and putting it into the cassarole. Sounds like an experiment is in order. Even better (if it works) you could then make Smoked Butternut Squash Soup. Yum.

5. ranger72

ranger72 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

hhhmmmmmmm:

I don't see any reason why all of the above wouldn't work! Thats the nice thing about sharing ideas and recipes with people who love love food and love to prepare it....

You start off with a basic premise and just keep adding to it to make it all that much better. :) :)

ranger72

OTBS # 14