Apple/Cherry Woods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guido

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Powder Springs, GA
I just got in my woods from Nature's Own. I'm looking forward to firing up the smoker on a small batch (unlike last weekends full smoke!) of either ribs or a loin. That said, I haven't smoked with apple or cherry woods before.

Would it be best to smoke strictly with just apple? Apple and cherry? Apple and hickory? Apple and mesquite?

I do a hickory/mesquite blend when I smoke most meats, but I'm curious as to how a cut will turn out with just apple, or apple and cherry.

Looking forward to hearing what those of you that have done more have to say!

When I do beef (rump roast, chuck roast, eye of the round) for GYPC's Italian sandwiches and Dutch's ehcniladas I have used just cherry or just apple. I like hickory with pork and a hickory/mesquite mix with brisket. Those are my personal preferences. I have also used oak and maple.

As you experiment you will discover your personal favorites. Half the fun is discovering what you or your family and/or guests like best. None are "bad eats".

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Heh. Looks like I'm going to settle on an apple/hickory mix this weekend. I've pretty much talked myself into it....

One thing I need to do is automatically freeze half of whatever I cook.
I still have about 3-5lbs of pork/beef in the fridge that my wife and I won't finish this week, and I HATE tossing good que!

I would think it depends on how strong of a smoke taste you like. Apple, cherry and other fruit woods are lighter smoke than the nut trees like hickory, oak and pecan. Mesquite is in a league of its own in my opinion and is not allowed to play in my backyard
icon_twisted.gif

I like to mix the fruit and nuts together. I like oak with apple, pecan with cherry and have mixed all of it together plus hickory on some long smokes.

I love mesquite, but it's a very strong wood. I use about a 1/3 mesquite to 2/3 hickory mix on my smoker. Just depends.
Pecan sounds like a good one too. I'll have to try that after I try this batch.

As expected, there really is no 'wrong' way, of course. Nor one better than the other. Just depends what you really want to do, and how you want it to taste. I'm looking forward to the apple/hickory smoke!

with fish i mix it up... apple/maple/peach and maybe throw in a little alder once in awhile..

with pork i usually just use apple...gives it a nice subtle smoke flavor depending how much you use

as for beef not much experience with beef cuz i can never seem to get it on sale..lol

generally i use apple for everything because it is what i can get the easiest

If you have never tried cherry, you are missing out on one of the easiest and best tasting woods you will ever try.
My smoker burns straight wood, and I've never had an issue with too much smoke flavor. So I'm rolling smoke the entire cook.
If I had to use one wood for the rest of my smokes...there would not even be a question.

Give it a try..you won't be sorry.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, cherry is the best!!! Cherry and ribs...cherry and chicken...cherry and fish...cherry and pork ...cherry and beef...did I mention I love cherry???
icon_wink.gif

Damn you all. Wife doesn't know I'm going to do a loin this weekend.... She'll have a nice surprise though.

Hmm.... Apple/Cherry maybe the way to go. I'm going to have to stew on this!

Thanks for all the tips. I'm just going to have to experiment!

You make me think of our late member Scott-in-kc
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
He used to say "Any wood is OK for smoking as long as it's cherry". I still throw a chunk or some cherry chips in most every smoke in his honor.

no doubt, a "texan" who don't use mesquite?????? ummmmmmmmmmmmm I think we have to pull marvin out of the otbs now!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif
(well okay, mesquite aint the first thing I grab either....but talk of not using apple and cherry.....man I hate to ask about alder.....oh yea, that's a northwest thing.....)

Ok go ahead and shoot me lol, I not the only texan that doesnt use mesqite. I would like to try apple and cherry wood though. Just dont want to buy it in chunks I need splits. Guess I could check with the wood suppliers and see if they have it. I also wanted to try black walnut but that stuff is very expensive around here.

tongue.gif
just giving you a hard texan time I guess...... I'm not a huge mesquite fan either, a small bit yea....but man it's a strong smoke........however....as a texan and being mesquite is well.....
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

(remember, I've got some apple, some cherry, some hickory and well...some alder.....still wanting to get some pecan.......)

If I'm going to smoke something, I want it to taste like I smoked it.... I'm not a fan of alder since it has no inherent flavor, IMO.

A texan that doesn't use mesquite. Just send me what you have in your backyard. I'm sure many folks here would use it :)

Well I could really get yall on a roll, What the hey I dont like this hickory wood Ive got right now either but it will have to do for now. It does have a good flavor on the meat Im just not happy with the results. I should have stayed with my beloved pecan. But thats my own fault still kicking myself in the butt.

alder is best used on fish or other meats that are not thick in nature or have a strong taste...such as whitefish

i havent had great results with using it on other kinds of meat either but still gives a nice light smoke flavor

I'm a Hickory girl! I like the strong taste. I will throw a chunk or two of mesquite in there with it but I don't believe I've ever used it alone.

I like cherry and apple or hickory and mequite on pork, hickory on beef and poultry andhickor and mequite on sausages. I'm gonna have to get me some pecan. I've been wanting to do a pecan and peach combination for some reason it sounds good to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky