Anyone use wood pellets in their MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Both true, I just wanted to add the coil heats to a light cherry red, this is somewhere around 1600°F. The chip pan etc over the coil heats up as well, around 600°F to get the wood smoking. Once the sensor sees the set point is reached or at least getting close, depending on the design of the controller, the coil shuts off. There is an awful lot of heat there that will be conducted away as the metal cools. This energy will continue to cause the air in the smoker to rise anywhere from a few degrees to several depending on where you are measuring it at. This is also the reason when going in a cooler, you need to pull meat out of the smoker about 5 to 10°F lower than your desired finished temp. The center of the meat is 195 to 200 but the surface is whatever temp you smoked the meat at, as high as 350°F. Some of that energy will warm the Towels but the bulk is reflected back at the meat by the foil and is then conducted into the meat continuing to raise the internal temp and cook the meat. It will easily get to 205° and possibly higher. If you Foil and go in the cooler at an IT of 205°F the pork can easily heat to 215°F and then take a LONG time to get below 160°F where the Collagen stops breaking down. This is like cooking the meat, already at your desired 205°, an extra hour or more depending on how long the meat stays in the cooler. You end up with mushy meat...JJ
I'll have to read both your and Bear's quotes a couple of times to internalize the answers but they both clearly explain how the controller and the heating element work. I also like hearing about how exterior heat is absorbed by the heat and how it affects the IT. Fascinating stuff.

I thought was was replying to a meesage about the thermostat on a Masterbuilt. as far as pellets i use hickory and for cheeses apple. I have hickory tress all around me and a lot of oaks. I've never tried oak, but i'm sure it's good. the pellets i like to get as much percentage of the wood to be hickory or apple.
Sorry, Kenny. I just saw you were quoting me and I thought it was about wood pellets. Long threads sometimes mutate into new life forms unrelated to their origin.

I love the smell of oak wood smoke. I've a neighbor who smokes with oak and the aroma is incredible. I've typically preferred hickory for ribs and turkey breast but I'll be using more oak this year.

I understand that you will have some fluctuations in heat, both by design and atmospheric conditions. What I don't understand is this...

Had a probe from my Thermoworks unit on the upper most grate, just under the exhaust Vent. Controller was set at 225*. Was seeing a high side temperature of 280* I understand that you will get an overshoot over the set point but this much? And yes, I did move the probe down to the area right next to the probe that the Masterbuilt controller uses...

Sorry, Kenny. I just saw you were quoting me and I thought it was about wood pellets. Long threads sometimes mutate into new life forms unrelated to their origin.

I love the smell of oak wood smoke. I've a neighbor who smokes with oak and the aroma is incredible. I've typically preferred hickory for ribs and turkey breast but I'll be using more oak this year.
Noproblem it's probably my fault. Thanks for the oak information, i have a lot more oak than i do hickory. Will definitly use it now.

I understand that you will have some fluctuations in heat, both by design and atmospheric conditions. What I don't understand is this...

Had a probe from my Thermoworks unit on the upper most grate, just under the exhaust Vent. Controller was set at 225*. Was seeing a high side temperature of 280* I understand that you will get an overshoot over the set point but this much? And yes, I did move the probe down to the area right next to the probe that the Masterbuilt controller uses...
In a Loaded Smoker this would represent a problem as the meat acts as a heat sink absorbing the energy and reducing the swings. I don't think this swing would be too unusual in an Empty Smoker. There is A LOT of metal surrounding the coil. In a used smoker most of this metal would have dark smoke covered surfaces. The Infrared heat would be readily absorbed as well as any conducted heat. If the temp at the shelves is 280 and the Coil is coming on before the smoker temp gets below 225, this is a Controller problem. Unfortunately, only one of my MES 40's is at my apartment and it is not working, otherwise I would test the swings in mine. Maybe Bearcarver or some of the other MES owners reading this can test theirs and verify if you have a problem or if the large swing is typical...JJ

Were you getting that overshoot of 55° after you moved the probe down to the same area as the MES sensor?

If I make a big upward change to the 225° setting, like at the start, it can keep going 40° or 50° degrees, but once it settles down they'll be closer.

That's why if I want to go to 225° at the start, I'll set it for 200°. Then after the overshoot is over, I'll move my setting to 225°. This keeps the peak down, and gets the whole thing to settle down in a shorter time.

Hope this helps.

Bear

As I've posted a few times, I get temp swings of about 30° around my set point. The only time the temp spiked up to 295° on my MES 30 Gen 1 was when the hi temp limit switch was dirty. I cleaned it and that solved the problem. Still get the temp swings, though but I think they average out to the set point over time anyway.

Smoke Eater5, I have the MES 40" Gen 2 and really like it. The only issues are on long smokes, having to go out and add chips every 30 minutes. Get the AMNS using pellets for long smokes.

You need the Amazing pellet smoker. It has three rows and if you fill up to of the it will last six hours easy. You will also get a bag of pellets. I also fohnd a 20 pd. bag for about 20.00 and thats a lot of smokinG. I use a heat gun instead of a butane torch because i don't have to buy butane. It takes a couple minutes on high and it will start a fire. After a minutes or two blow out and put on the two rods next to heating element. Leave you chip drawer halfway open and pull chip loader out about an inch.
Good luck!

Just bought an AMNS for use in Hawaii. ..I'm never seen it in person, but I thought I would give it a try since everyone speaks so highly of them.

ang, in my opinion. my mes 30 would be worthless without the amns.

with it i can do long smokes without feeding the mes everytime i turn around.

make sure you tell todd which smoker you have so you get the right one.

You need the Amazing pellet smoker. It has three rows and if you fill up to of the it will last six hours easy. You will also get a bag of pellets. I also fohnd a 20 pd. bag for about 20.00 and thats a lot of smokinG. I use a heat gun instead of a butane torch because i don't have to buy butane. It takes a couple minutes on high and it will start a fire. After a minutes or two blow out and put on the two rods next to heating element. Leave you chip drawer halfway open and pull chip loader out about an inch.
Good luck!
My personal experience with the AMNPS is that I've gotten six hours out of 1.5 to two rows of wood pellets. The one time I used up a whole tray without finishing the smoke was when my MES 30 overheated due to my error. But I fully agree--the AMNPS is the only smoke source I use. Other guys have said they can get up to 16 hours on one tray but I never intentionally smoke anything that long. With the MES 30 I stick with smaller cuts of meat I can finish off in about 6 hours.

My personal experience with the AMNPS is that I've gotten six hours out of 1.5 to two rows of wood pellets. The one time I used up a whole tray without finishing the smoke was when my MES 30 overheated due to my error. But I fully agree--the AMNPS is the only smoke source I use. Other guys have said they can get up to 16 hours on one tray but I never intentionally smoke anything that long. With the MES 30 I stick with smaller cuts of meat I can finish off in about 6 hours.
I was wrong when i said it would last it would last six hours when you fill up the AMNPS it's at least 5-6 hours on one row. I don't use chips any longer because the Amazen puts out such clean smoke. It's well worth your money, i didn't want to pay that much because it seemed cheap in the pics. That's not the case, it's very well made.

Just bought an AMNS for use in Hawaii. ..I'm never seen it in person, but I thought I would give it a try since everyone speaks so highly of them.

We're you getting your pellets from? The only place I've found them locally is HPM building supply. Costco had some over the summer and when they cut the price to less than $10 I grabbed a bunch! Of course those are all traeger pellets which aren't the best quality!!!

I did get some good ones from Todd...

We're you getting your pellets from? The only place I've found them locally is HPM building supply. Costco had some over the summer and when they cut the price to less than $10 I grabbed a bunch! Of course those are all traeger pellets which aren't the best quality!!!

I did get some good ones from Todd...
 You are right about the quality. I usually buy a seasons  worth at a time from Todd during one of his sales. They are great and the service is first class. Meat is to high to use a sub standard pellet.

I was wrong when i said it would last it would last six hours when you fill up the AMNPS it's at least 5-6 hours on one row. I don't use chips any longer because the Amazen puts out such clean smoke. It's well worth your money, i didn't want to pay that much because it seemed cheap in the pics. That's not the case, it's very well made.
It's well made and a simple design. No smoking guns or parts to piece together or to attach to something. It's one of the main reasons why I chose it.

I haven't used mine a lot but I love that thing. You can get creative and use it to smoke just about anything

Gary

I always microwave my pellets before AMNPS. Like maybe 30 seconds for a big handful. I have not had them go out since doing this, leaving the chip loading tube out a couple inches for a better draft per Todd's instructions for my MES30. That gives a continuous source of smoke. I find that my MES only produces fairly ateady smoke on higher temps, like around 180 and up.

I don't anything but dump them in my AMNPS light with a torch let it get going for about 10 min and I'm good  No problems staying lit

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky