anyone use wallnut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrish

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2007
IOWA
just wondering if anyone ever uesd wallnut for smoking? it might be the premo of woods to buy but hows the smoke and smell? i have a place i can get all i want but do i want it?

Hay thanks Debi, I knew it could be used but none has used it first hand.
last winter when i was deer hunting i walked up on a few large pieces of walnut in a field and i was thinking of going back over and getting them.

Lived in the land of the black walnut (the Ozarks) a long time, just never heard of anyone using it to smoke with. Folks cut a black walnut tree to sell the log for walnut lumber or veneer, a veneer log brings more money. The large limbs cut from the log are generally burned for heat in wood stoves.
Otherwise, the walnuts are picked up off the ground in the fall, hulled and sold to Hammon's Walnut Products in Stockton, MO.
It is a hardwood though, suppose you could smoke with it.

as with any nut bearing tree it can be used but i agree it has more value in being sold or something made out of it rather then smoking it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky