Anyone know why the Masterbuilt MPS 340G is not available?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deanbrew

Original poster
May 18, 2020
I've been trying to figure out which smoker to buy. For a bit of background, I have used a Weber kettle grill, a horizontal charcoal offset smoker and a commercial Southern Pride propane smoker before. I loved the ease of propane and thermostat temp control I had on the Southern Pride unit, so I am attracted to the Masterbuilt MPS series due to their thermostat settings. I am most interested in the largest 340 unit due to the fact that it will hold entire racks of ribs or a couple of briskets without cutting to fit.

I have been completely unable, however, to find one in a store to look at. Masterbuilt, Amazon and pretty much everywhere else show them as sold out. Is this due to a production or shipping problem, or are they perhaps redesigning it? I also find Masterbuilt's product line to be confusing. They seem to have different names and model numbers for very similar units. I can't figure out if the 340G is the same size as the Adventure XL, and what the differences are.

I do not want a pellet smoker. I also don't think I want an electric smoker. I find the Masterbuilt Gravity Series to be of interest, and I could see buying one in a year or so if they get some of the bugs/QC issues worked out. But I'm reading about too many QC issues for the initial 560 and 1050 models. Plus, they are sold out everywhere, too.

Any help is appreciated.

I agree Masterbuilt model numbering is mysterious. And just as you start to understand it, they go and make up new ones.
I think the 340G is well-rated, has a loyal customer base, and is a key money-maker for MB. That said, summer and pandemics (and summertime pandemics!) are good for outdoor cooker sales so I think this is just a matter of the demand exceeding supply. To compound matters, MB is trying to build up a biz for their gravity series so they probably hate to re-direct labor resources from that to a traditional propane model, esp given the cost (and assumed profit) difference.

I think the shortage is combination of things. I drove all over Middle TN just to find a Weber Jumbo Joe last month. Heck, Home Depot was down to two 22" Weber Kettles when I went there. My opinion is that people were cooking/grilling at home during the lockdown when the majority of restaurants were shut down. I'm sure the big box stores have some type of formula for how many grills to keep in inventory at what time of year, and how quick they can get them. I would assume that formula went out the door with the pandemic, and supply chain disruptions. I hope you find the grill you want, but it may take a while. Good Luck!

Dave

I was looking to get one for my father and could not find one either.
I've had mine for a year and half and absolutely love it. It holds temp pretty steady.

I'm still confused about Masterbuilt model numbers, but I just ordered a Model 20051316 Thermotemp smoker on Amazon. The website says they have 6 left. I'm also ordering some Lavalock gasket to seal the door better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky