Anyone know where to get fresh ducks???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lght

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Sunny Southern California
I'm planning on making a classical french dish "pressed duck" or "Canard à la presse" for Xmas.  The dish requires a fresh young Rouen duck.  The key to the dish is the duck must be strangled to retain it's blood so I can't simply go out and buy a duck from the store or butcher market. 

Does anyone know a place that will either sell live ducks for food or at least ship fresh strangled ducks by chance?  I'm in Cali BTW.

There are a zillion right out my window, in a pond! Smiles.

But on the east coast there are also some butchers who slaughter the chicken of your choice right there on the spot, and I would think that out your way in California, if you call the specialty butcher shops, they may know someone or may even, via your request, be able to special order one in for you?

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Cheers! - Leah

LGHT.......we could sneak over to Leahs and get a duck or two.......
banana_smiley.gif

There is a Chinese restaurant here in town that will order just about anything in ducks that I want. That might be a start for you.

Brad 

hahah I know a spot about 20 min from home called "duck park".  I was tempted to run over and bag a few, but who knows with the elderly folk feed them things.  I've called a few butchers already and they can get anything I want, but can't request the animal be "strangled" and the blood left in.  I guess common practice is to always bleed the animal after dispatching which seems to be the problem. 

Yes, I agree......don't trust the ponds. "Traditional" meat suppliers have a ton of rules to follow and I know that bleeding is one of then. "Ranch Harvesters" up here in the gold country would be a good source. Don't know how many of those you have in SoCa.

Brad

There are two enormous blue herons in the pond here too!

Or perhaps they're teradactyls, I'm not really sure.

But they're enormous when swooping in or out, and I suppose they could go into a fine cassoulet, paired with a Malbec, pretty nicely.

Hopefully you'll find your wonderful source. Such an interesting dish you're making!!! Cheers! - Leah

I'm planning on making a classical french dish "pressed duck" or "Canard à la presse" for Xmas.  The dish requires a fresh young Rouen duck.  The key to the dish is the duck must be strangled to retain it's blood so I can't simply go out and buy a duck from the store or butcher market. 

Does anyone know a place that will either sell live ducks for food or at least ship fresh strangled ducks by chance?  I'm in Cali BTW.
Canard à la presse is quite an ambitious project LGHT, and I hope you're able to pull it off.

I would think that your chances of finding a source for a pre-strangled Rouen duck is pretty nil so you're going to have to find a young adult and strangle it yourself. And, I think that the strangulation should occur no more than a few hours before preparation of the dish. One option would be to purchase a duckling today and raise it yourself. It might be mature enough for slaughter by Christmas.

If your successful in securing and slaughtering the duck, how do you intend to press it? If you're going full traditional on the dish, you'll need a proper presse and, if you can even find one, the cost will run into the $1,000s.

I've never had the dish but I saw it prepared several years ago at a nearby table at La Tour d'Argent in Paris, and the process is something to behold. The strangled, plucked, and eviscerated duck is briefly roasted and brought table side along with the presse. The breast is removed and sliced for serving, and legs are removed and returned to the kitchen for further cooking and returned as a second course. The remaining carcass is then put into the presse which is screwed down and then emits a small trickle of blood into warming vessel for the sauce. The sauce, if I recall correctly, is made up of Port or Madeira, smashed ducks liver, lots of butter, and, of course, the blood. Once complete, the sauce is spooned on the breast slices and the first course commences.

As a side note, every person who has the dish at the restaurant receives a small card with an etching and the number of the duck that was served. I don't know what the total stands at these days but it's in excess of 1 million as they've been preparing the dish since the early 1800s.

Best of luck.

THIS post, (from dls1), is why I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE AND LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE this very site!

Every day, logging on, is a learning course, and also such wonderfully delectable tales of familiar fare and fodder that's just too damn precious to have to miss!

Thank you, all, for posting this, and for posting all of your interesting things! 

OH, and please do come join our new "wine" group (in the group section on this site) as I am more than happy to suggest a perfect pairing for your pressed dish; and I am salivating and becoming aroused (am I allowed to type that on here) in a perfectly platonic and deliciously culinary way, just even thinking about it!

OK, Cheers to all! My pond view is taking on new meaning... - Leah

Canard à la presse is quite an ambitious project LGHT, and I hope you're able to pull it off.

I would think that your chances of finding a source for a pre-strangled Rouen duck is pretty nil so you're going to have to find a young adult and strangle it yourself. And, I think that the strangulation should occur no more than a few hours before preparation of the dish. One option would be to purchase a duckling today and raise it yourself. It might be mature enough for slaughter by Christmas.

If your successful in securing and slaughtering the duck, how do you intend to press it? If you're going full traditional on the dish, you'll need a proper presse and, if you can even find one, the cost will run into the $1,000s.

I've never had the dish but I saw it prepared several years ago at a nearby table at La Tour d'Argent in Paris, and the process is something to behold. The strangled, plucked, and eviscerated duck is briefly roasted and brought table side along with the presse. The breast is removed and sliced for serving, and legs are removed and returned to the kitchen for further cooking and returned as a second course. The remaining carcass is then put into the presse which is screwed down and then emits a small trickle of blood into warming vessel for the sauce. The sauce, if I recall correctly, is made up of Port or Madeira, smashed ducks liver, lots of butter, and, of course, the blood. Once complete, the sauce is spooned on the breast slices and the first course commences.

As a side note, every person who has the dish at the restaurant receives a small card with an etching and the number of the duck that was served. I don't know what the total stands at these days but it's in excess of 1 million as they've been preparing the dish since the early 1800s.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the information.  Actually my first taste of pressed duck was more than 30 years ago.  My grandfather was a huge fan and french cuisine and spent some time in Paris where he had the dish more than 50 years ago.  I can't recall when, but he was gifted a press many years later were he would prepare the dish during x-mas for the adults.  Since I loved duck I would get a few slices myself.  I don't know where he purchased the ducks from, but I do recall turning the press and hearing the bones crunch and watching the redish brown juice trickle out of the spout below.  I now have possession of his press.

I recently smoked a duck on my pellet cooker and thought wow wouldn't it be nice to serve pressed duck on X-mas!!  So the search continues!!  I wonder if my neighbors would mind me raising a duck on my patio???  lol

Last edited:

OH, and please do come join our new "wine" group (in the group section on this site) as I am more than happy to suggest a perfect pairing for your pressed dish; and I am salivating and becoming aroused (am I allowed to type that on here) in a perfectly platonic and deliciously culinary way, just even thinking about it!
How does one join the wine group?

I actually plan on smoking the duck to a rare before, then parting the legs and breast and returning them back to the smoker at 500 for searing then "pressing" the carcass.  It's been said that the duck itself is somewhat bland and the sauce is what actually makes it tasty and delicious.  I figured I would combine a great smoked duck breast with the pressed duck sauce for the best of both worlds!

Just go to groups & log in. Duck strangling not a skill I have seen demonstrated except when hunting. I do like duck & the french are great exponents but the chinese also deserve a place in the line up as well.

I think that your duck press is probably the coolest bit of kitchen equipment one could own.Your grand dad was on switched on guy.

By the way I have a stupid number of ducks at my week ender but they are off limits.

I also have a stupid number of these guys,if I can find a recipe they are in trouble
biggrin.gif

Had ten of them on the picnic table at 6 am,right out side bed room door. My own dumb fault for putting seed out for the well mannered parrots only to get the bird equivalent of 'Sons of Anarchy"
laugh1.gif

Good luck with the duck strangling.Love to see some photos of the finished product not the strangling
biggrin.gif

Wow! I so agree with Moikel, in that owning a duck press would be pretty wild!

(My Champagne saber is perhaps my funkiest food-related talisman of unique and fun tools in the way of gourmet going. But a duck press? Now that just puts it over the top)! Incredible!

I am very excited indeed, to see photos of your creation, which sounds beyond decadent!

And yes, EVERYONE on this thread (and others) is most certainly invited to go into GROUPS, and then "WINOS & WOOD CHIPS" and to then click, "join the group."

Feel free to start new wine themed threads there, or to ask questions, or to post your photos of wine with your great smoked food, or whatever you wish but for WHINING, as I'm an upbeat chick, and it's an upbeat place to be! Smiles.

Speaking of optimism and loving life and loving food and wine; this thread, just absolutely made me smile. Thank you for that!

Cheers to all, and come share some vino, as it is better when shared! - Leah

We have a wine cabinet in our hall and it has a few dry nasty wines for our wine snob friends.  The bottom row however is more my style.  That's where the Boones farm strawberry hill lives along with the MD 20/20 and Thunderbird, along with a couple other brown bag stars.  My favorite wine however I trade for.  It is made from Japanese plums and shows up in a mason jar.  Its very sweet and strong and wonderful.  These are reasons why I figure I aint welcome to join a wine group
biggrin.gif
 When it comes to ducks we have a half dozen smoked in the freezer waiting to become gumbo.  I'd pass up a press for a gumbo pot anyday.
icon_lol.gif

CappyR you are MOST DEFINITELY invited and encouraged to come join the wine club! I loved your description and opinion and shared sips - especially hearing of the plum arrival, fantastic stuff! I don't care what anyone drinks, so long as THEY love it! That's all that matters. Come join the fun! Cheers! - Leah

We have a wine cabinet in our hall and it has a few dry nasty wines for our wine snob friends.  The bottom row however is more my style.  That's where the Boones farm strawberry hill lives along with the MD 20/20 and Thunderbird, along with a couple other brown bag stars.  My favorite wine however I trade for.  It is made from Japanese plums and shows up in a mason jar.  Its very sweet and strong and wonderful.  These are reasons why I figure I aint welcome to join a wine group
biggrin.gif
 When it comes to ducks we have a half dozen smoked in the freezer waiting to become gumbo.  I'd pass up a press for a gumbo pot anyday.
icon_lol.gif
Wow duck gumbo???  Who would have thought it??  Care to share the recipe??  I would love to give it a go.. 

By the way I have a stupid number of ducks at my week ender but they are off limits.

I also have a stupid number of these guys,if I can find a recipe they are in trouble
biggrin.gif

Had ten of them on the picnic table at 6 am,right out side bed room door. My own dumb fault for putting seed out for the well mannered parrots only to get the bird equivalent of 'Sons of Anarchy"
laugh1.gif

Good luck with the duck strangling.Love to see some photos of the finished product not the strangling
biggrin.gif
Well after calling and calling I haven't been able to find anyone who will sell me a duck that hasn't been bleed after killing.  The closest I found was a store in an Asian community that has a special permit to dispatch ducks on the premises.  Apparently they had a big fight with the city some years again and was given a special permit.  It's suppose to be one of the few places in OC that you can buy fresh peking duck.  The good part is I'll probably swing by on lunch sometime this week to try it out!

The bad part is I still haven't found a place that will sell me a full grown duck.  I may have to buy a duckling and raise it for a few months.  Apparently they are ready to be slaughtered at around 6-8 weeks.

Well this just keeps getting more and more interesting LGHT!

Now I am excited to see pictures of your new house guest (should you procure and raise a duck) learn of its name, and of what you feed him! 

This is downright fascinating! Perhaps you can even teach him to bring the morning coffee to you even! Thanks for these updates! It's going to be exquisite, and delicious!!! That much I know already!!! Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky