Anyone know what the white stuff is that Johnny Trigg puts on his ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tiger Sauce in a bottle around here is the red chile spicy pepper hot sauce. Pour it over a block of philadelphia cream cheese and serve with Ritz crackers for appetizers. Add jalapenos! Many other uses too...

We do the same with pickapeppa sauce here in Mississippi. Delicious snack.

White BBQ Sauce?

Is that from Cincinnati?
I've heard they have "White Chili" there.

(That's gotta be some kind of Yankee trick for us Southern boys.)

(White Chili! Yeah, Right! And I'm your Huckelberry, too.)

White BBQ sauce?
I can't believe it' snot butter.
Tiger Sauce is wonderful stuff but my own brand Walker's Biohazard Extreme Heat Sauce is better. (But I'm out of stock right now.)

I'll give it a shake with squeeze Smart Balance, brown sugar & apple sauce at foilin' time.
 Yo Tom...White BBQ Sauce was thought up by some Crazy Ass Rebel in Alabama!...Here's some info from one of " Y'all's " magazines...
wazzapp.gif
...JJ

Jersey Yankee

A North Alabama Favorite: White BBQ Sauce

http://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/a-north-alabama-favorite-white-bbq-sauce-00400000007610/

Last edited:
White BBQ Sauce?

Is that from Cincinnati?

White BBQ sauce?
Tiger Sauce is wonderful stuff but my own brand Walker's Biohazard Extreme Heat Sauce is better. (But I'm out of stock right now.)

I'll give it a shake with squeeze Smart Balance, brown sugar & apple sauce at foilin' time.
Cincy Chili ain't white, we are famous for having cinnamon in our chili, and putting it on spaghetti with cheddar cheese

White BBQ Sauce?

Is that from Cincinnati?

White BBQ sauce?

Cincy Chili ain't white, we are famous for having cinnamon in our chili, and putting it on spaghetti with cheddar cheese
That stuff is surprisingly good. Every couple months I crave it and have to make up a batch!

Im not much of a measurer, but the recipe I saw said 1/5th of a bottle of Tiger Sauce. I had a small bottle too so i did about 1/4 of the bottle on each side..... As far as the Parkay and Honey, I did about 4 rows of each on the foil.... Then I put another 3 or 4 rows on top of the ribs..... I kind of figure that more is better and alot of it will fall off when you put them back on for the final hour to firm up.....

Hey Steel.....about how much did you put on?  The Tiger Sauce I've seen is a pretty small bottle and it doesn't seem like it would go very far.  Did he just drizzle the Parkay and honey or really pour it to it.  Thanks!

Rich
Im not much of a measurer, but the recipe I saw said 1/5th of a bottle of Tiger Sauce. I had a small bottle too so i did about 1/4 of the bottle on each side..... As far as the Parkay and Honey, I did about 4 rows of each on the foil.... Then I put another 3 or 4 rows on top of the ribs..... I kind of figure that more is better and alot of it will fall off when you put them back on for the final hour to firm up.....

Yo Tom...White BBQ Sauce was thought up by some Crazy Ass Rebel in Alabama!...Here's some info from one of " Y'all's " magazines...
wazzapp.gif
...JJ

Jersey Yankee

A North Alabama Favorite: White BBQ Sauce

http://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/a-north-alabama-favorite-white-bbq-sauce-00400000007610/
Yo, How You Dooin'?
That's about as much 'Northern' as I've learned. That and 'Frugedabaughdit'.

As much as I respect the swampers of Decatur and Northern Alabama, that word, "NORTHERN" should be a red flag. Its still 500 miles north.

But if you want to compare what a real Southern magazine has to say about Barbecue, then go here: http://www.orlandomagazine.com/Orlando-Magazine/June-2012/

We now return to our regular thread: The white stuff on what he cookin'.

Tom

Here's a pic of Cincy Chili 4 way 

250px-Skyline_4-way.jpg

White BBQ Sauce?

Is that from Cincinnati?

White BBQ sauce?

And the most info I could glean for Johnny Trigg's Ribs: (No margarine permitted in this house, so I use softened clarified butter)

Johnny Trigg uses well marbled ribs, trimmed to 3.5 inches with excess meat and membrane removed. He uses Rib Tickler Rub and black pepper. Let's rest 45 minutes before putting on the smoker. I've read he sprays/spritzes with apple juice hourly but I've never seen him do it. He smokes them meat side up with pecan and cherry at a temp of 275* for approx. 2.5 hrs. Uses Squeeze Parkey in a wave pattern on the aluminum foil, handful of brown sugar, 3-4 runs clover honey and a 1/2" wide stripe of Tiger Sauce, then places the ribs meat side down on the wrap mixture and repeats the process on the bone side and adds 1/4 cup apple juice, closes the foil up tightly, wraps with another layer of foil and returns to the smoker for another 1.5 hrs or so. He unwraps and glazes them with a sauce made of tomato sauce, molasses and corn syrup and in the smoker for 1 hr. Re-glazes after he removes from smoker and slices with an electric knife.

Here's a list of ingredients: Couldn't find anything that gave the amounts.

His Rub: Salt, Paprika, Sugar, Garlic, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Brown Sugar and Onion Flakes; 

Foil Wrap: Squeeze Margarine, Brown Sugar, Clover Honey, and Tiger Sauce;

Sauce/Glaze: Tomato Sauce, Molasses and Corn Syrup

Good to hear from you Tom...I live 30 miles from the Mason Dixon Line...So one foot South puts you in REBEL country. I guess it's all about perception, you are saying anybody north of Orlando are Northerners? So what's that make you to the folks in the Keys?
biggrin.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
Good to hear from you Tom...I live 30 miles from the Mason Dixon Line...So one foot South puts you in REBEL country. I guess it's all about perception, you are saying anybody north of Orlando are Northerners? So what's that make you to the folks in the Keys?
biggrin.gif
...JJ
Chef JimmyJ,

Thanks for responding. I bet you already know I was just kidding about where Yankee territory starts. Some folks just beg to get their legs pulled.
But about the folks from the Keys? They're kind of a group all to them selves. A lot of them claim to be from the Conch Republic which is supposed to be a seperatist movement out of Key West.

I would call them more "Islanders" than southern or northern.
And as most of us would agree, the "Barbique" of the Caribe is very, very good. Different than Southern style but still very good.

Rebel? The war for independence from King Geroge makes us all "REBELS". But the facts is this: If the Civil War were fought today, I would stand for freedom. Clearly, the war was about slavery and no amount of claiming that is was about States Rights can change the truth. No state had the right to enslave another human being. What part of Life, Liberty and the persuit of Happiness did the slave owners think didn't apply to their state?

I have a lot more to say on that topic but here is not the forum for it.
Please forgive me for a little self indulgence.

Tom

In the episode I saw on TV he said it was "Squeeze Butter", and that he uses it on almost everything.

I definitely believe that Butter is a good thing, but my wife won't let me use any of that squeeze butter stuff since she says it's "Hydrogenated" to give it the gooey squeeze-capable consistency, and she says that's real bad healthwise (she's a health care professional and eats plenty of my BBQ and when I do seafood boils/steams, she always dips her lobster meat in plenty of melted stick butter without fear). I do use melted stick butter freely with my mop...

Last edited:
In this quick video of Trigg in Pitmasters   he uses a certain powder towards the end after he puts on the brown sugar, what is that? I've been dying to know for weeks so I could use it and if anyone knows the specific brand I'd really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky