Anyone here own a Green Mountain pellet grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
sausage.gif
. How do cook steaks GMG so it doesn't have smoke flavor and seared?
I am not trying to be a smart about your question but, if your goal is not to not have smoke flavor or seared use a pan on the stove on low/med low heat and cook it don't use a pellet grill.

If you can afford it, I would suggest a Yoder  640....  Built like a tank, Made in the US, and great customer service....  Traeger and Green Mountain hit a price point, but in the long run the Yoder's will outlast them big time.  You get what you pay for, and the value is there for the extra bucks you spend on a Yoder.

Cooked a Prime Rib last night....  Best one I ever had....

If you can afford it, I would suggest a Yoder  640....  Built like a tank, Made in the US, and great customer service....  Traeger and Green Mountain hit a price point, but in the long run the Yoder's will outlast them big time.  You get what you pay for, and the value is there for the extra bucks you spend on a Yoder.

Cooked a Prime Rib last night....  Best one I ever had....

First off, nice PR.... Nice smoke ! Thumbs Up

That being said I think one can get very partial with their choice of smoker they chose.... I'am not here to bash any smoker, Yoder does make a fine smoker. IMHO, so does other manufacturers.... I have a GMG and it's run flawless & kicks out some awesome Q, including a few PR that turned out great as well as turkey, chicken, ABT's, snackin sticks.... The list could go on.... I have a buddy that has a Traeger & HE loves it, just as I love my GMG !

My point is find the smoker that works for YOU the owner, the Yoder worked for YOU & my GMG works for ME.... Now if ya wanna talk features Yoder vs other smokers then I don't have an issue with that.... I could have afforded a Yoder but chose GMG because I really liked the smoker for ME ! It's been a pleasure to use & it'll last for years I'm sure of it !

Just saying......

I've had a Daniel Boone Greene Mountain pellet grill for 4 years, and I am very happy with it.  Not a spot of rust.  It sits outside year round in Iowa weather. Temperature control is very tight (+/- 2 degrees F).  I use the Green Mountain blend pellets which have a high enough Oak content to provide heat in the winter.  The smoke flavor is not overbearing, and I would call it just right.  It has a high radiant heat component, so cooking times are shorter than almost all recipes.  I mostly cook at 225 degrees F, but will go to 250 for brisket and down to 180 degrees for back loin ribs.  

I have a Davy Crockett ... for six months and am now consistently having a problem getting it to start ... get the "FAL" message repeatedly ... 3 to 4 attempts required before it starts.  The support from GMG is NOT GOOD.  Unless their support changes I would not purchase a GMG. 

I have a Davy Crockett ... for six months and am now consistently having a problem getting it to start ... get the "FAL" message repeatedly ... 3 to 4 attempts required before it starts.  The support from GMG is NOT GOOD.  Unless their support changes I would not purchase a GMG. 

Where'd ya buy it ?

I have a Daniel Boone.  The "FAL" designation happened to me.  I ended up putting in a new control board.  Easy enough replacement.  Not sure how they will stand by the original purchase. My local retailer stood by me in stellar fashion.

I have a Daniel Boone.  The "FAL" designation happened to me.  I ended up putting in a new control board.  Easy enough replacement.  Not sure how they will stand by the original purchase. My local retailer stood by me in stellar fashion.

Yep, similar experience here... I had the low pellet sensor go bad, called the folks I bought it from & had one next day ! Simple replacement & it works great !

I have a GMG Daniel Boone.  it has worked great for over a year now.  Also have an electric Master Built that was a great starter Smoker.  Being in Minnesota, the best thing on both is a remote that lets me monitor the temps from inside the house whether its 20° below outside or raining.  I can monitor what is going on.  I specially like the newer GMG since I can start it up early in the morning.  Head out on the lake for the day and enjoy the day without worrying about if I need to stoke the fire.  Buy what fits your needs and enjoy the food.   I'm constantly experimenting with meats, rubs and smoking times.  And my wife loves it, she doesn't haven't to cook if I am.  It might be something as simple as smoked Salsa to a tasty brisket.  The guy having trouble with the smoke have you cleaned out the pellet pot.  I make sure to clean out once a year.

I agree with getting in touch with the supplier ou purchased the unit from. My GMG has not had any problem. I have keep close contact with the shop I bought it from and they have indicated they will be there should I need them.

I own a GMG Davey Crockett, it fits into the trunk of my Jetta VW and runs on 12 volt electricity, great for get aways. I have done up to a 16 pound turkey in it and everything I have smokes has come out well. When smoking, the lower {150 degrees} works the best for me.

Check out the smoke ring in this brisket and the color of the large chicken. 

Tom

Couldn't find pic of brisket right now- sorry.

Hey Chris, I just saw your post.  I too have the Daniel Boone and have cooked/smoked quite a few good meals on it.  Is there a way to get more of a smoke flavor.  I've tried adjusting the chimney cap, lowering the temp so it cooks longer, etc but can't get it dialed in right.  I'm wondering if I can put a few wood chunks under the burner plate near the burn pot.  ??

Eric

I have a GMG DB and the smoke is very mild so an easy mod is to stick in an AMNPTS while cooking, job done. I clean my burner pot after every use

There is a mod you can buy its called a Down Draft, I will not give the Name out here on the forum, but just Google GMG Downdraft Mod. Or PM me.

Keeps smoke in the smoker longer, evens out the temperature and can save between 30-50% on pellets.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky