Anyone have a homemade white pizza sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Figured I'd ask here first. I got an idea in mind for a pizza...

Thanks in advance...

I do have a homemade Alfredo sauce I could thicken up and it will probably work great.

I usually make Alfredo with a clove of minced Garlic,a pinch of Oregano and Red Pepper Flakes..JJ

Roquefort sound good cause I LOVE any Bleu Cheese. But that would not fly with the rest of my crew...JJ

Reactions: wimpy
This recipe is for 1 QT.
Heavy whipping cream.
Qt or pint, just half everything if you use the pint.
2 egg whites, beaten and mixed into the cold cream.

1 cup. Parmesan cheese.
1 cup. Pecorino Romano.
Or 1 cup grated pepper Jack cheese.
(Depending on your toppings)
I use the Jack cheese when I'm topping with beef.
1 ts. Oregano and Thyme.
2 cloves of smashed and garlic cloves that have been worked into a paste with the flat side of your knife add a little coarse salt which helps paste the garlic.
A half dozen turns on the pepper mill.
Check if it needs salt, I never add any because the cheeses are salty.

Toss everything into a good thick bottom sauce pan.
On med heat, keep whisking until the mixture bubbles up to the top of the pan, then lower heat and cook it down until it's the thickness you are looking for. Personally I cook it down on med heat until it bubbles up then I back the heat off to low and cook it down until it reduces by 1/2.

So good on both pizza and pasta. My friends and family go nuts over the stuff.

Last edited:
Heavy whipping cream.
Pint or Qt, just half everything if you use the Qt.

Is the original recipe for a Pint and you Double all for a Quart. Or, is it for a Qt and you halve everything for a PT?

Egg White begins to coagulate at 144°F. Above 149°, the proteins squeeze them selves into tough, rubbery nuggets. If you are Boiling/Simmering the sauce to reduce and thicken, 185°+, I don't see what you gain adding the Egg Whites?
The sauce does sound good otherwise...JJ

forktender forktender BOOKMARKED. Thanks! Am I right, you mean half recipe if using the pint, right? LOL chef jimmyj chef jimmyj Beat me. Never tried the egg white thing myself but thought if emulsified it might not denature not sure.

I use to work at a pizza restaurant and we would you a Roquefort salad dressing with a heaping table spoon of minced garlic
WOW this sounds fantastic! Not sure if I've seen Roquefort dressing in years tho. Might have to settle for bleu cheese.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Never tried the egg white thing myself but thought if emulsified it might not denature not sure.

Egg protein will help thicken a sauce in the presence of a Starch. Ex, Pastry Cream. Egg, Hvy Cream, Sugar, Vanilla and Corn Starch. Bring just to a Simmer to thicken and cook the starch, cool. Comes out smooth and creamy. The starch keeps the Egg Proteins from combining and getting gritty, even though the mix is heated to 185 to 190°F. Note: A hard Boil can overcome the effectiveness of the Starch and the Pastry Cream will Curdle.

In contrast heat a 50/50 mix of Milk and Cream, with Vanilla and Sugar, just until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat. Beat some Eggs until well combined. Slowly add 8 to 16oz of the Cream mixture to the eggs while whisking to warm and Temper the eggs. Whisk the warm eggs into the Cream. Return to Low Heat and stir until thick enough to coat a Spoon. DO NOT BOIL! Strain your Vanilla Ice Cream Base to remove any coagulated eggs that got too hot. Chill.

So, 2 different way to add Eggs to Hot liquids and Not get Scrambled Eggs.👍...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
forktender forktender BOOKMARKED. Thanks! Am I right, you mean half recipe if using the pint, right? LOL chef jimmyj chef jimmyj Beat me. Never tried the egg white thing myself but thought if emulsified it might not denature not sure.

WOW this sounds fantastic! Not sure if I've seen Roquefort dressing in years tho. Might have to settle for bleu cheese.
Opp's yes, my mistake.

Reactions: zwiller
Is the original recipe for a Pint and you Double all for a Quart. Or, is it for a Qt and you halve everything for a PT?

Egg White begins to coagulate at 144°F. Above 149°, the proteins squeeze them selves into tough, rubbery nuggets. If you are Boiling/Simmering the sauce to reduce and thicken, 185°+, I don't see what you gain adding the Egg Whites?
The sauce does sound good otherwise...JJ
Qt, I corrected my goof up thanks for catching it guys, and I've never had any clumping issues using the egg whites beat into the cold cream.
This was my Nona's recipe, she cooked it almost every single day at her very well respected restaurant for 40+ years.

Can't argue with NONA!😁 I'll have to try it when making a White Pizza. Thanks for the response...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky