Anyone grow dill ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I just bought two dill plants at Ace Hdw. Now I gotta learn how to grow them.

I've heard they're a cold weather plant, are they gonna handle Oklahoma summers ?

We grow them in the winter here, for my pickles. They don’t do well in hot weather.
Al

Pickles is why I'm growing dill.

I bought the Bouquet variety. I'm told that it does handle the Oklahoma summer. I will find out.

Yes they are hearty for all seasons. I finally got the last of it out of my garden.

Check out companion planting in the Farmer's Almanac

Interesting. Says Dill is a good companion to cucumbers. I think that just solved the issue of where to plant the dill.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Interesting. Says Dill is a good companion to cucumbers. I think that just solved the issue of where to plant the dill.
Also the best part of the dill plant is the flowers, so let the flowers get big & yellow, then cut them & use them in your pickles. We just started growing our own pickles, but have been growing dill for years. It will grow in hot weather, but just keep it in the shade for half a day or more. Growing it between the cukes sounds like a good idea. Good luck!
Al

Also the best part of the dill plant is the flowers, so let the flowers get big & yellow, then cut them & use them in your pickles. We just started growing our own pickles, but have been growing dill for years. It will grow in hot weather, but just keep it in the shade for half a day or more. Growing it between the cukes sounds like a good idea. Good luck!
Al

I began growing pickling cukes last year. It went really well. I enjoyed it. Now I'm looking for new recipes and gonna expand on what I did.

I have four locations to put a dill plant. Can't decide on one, so Im gonna buy 2 more dill plants and put one in each location and find out which one is best.

Also the best part of the dill plant is the flowers, so let the flowers get big & yellow, then cut them & use them in your pickles.
+1000. Up in here in Ohio it's sorta a tradeoff as pickling cukes mature earlier than the dill flower so the pickling cukes are little harder to find that late but worth it. Learned the flower thing from my Grandfather. He never made pickles but made pickled green tomatoes at season end. Recipe is some kind crazy one out the depression when NOTHING went to waste, like pickled watermelon rind but the result is better than typical pickles (now you know why). Those little unripe tomatoes when it's getting cool are perfect for it. Been awhile since I ran some but recall I used 2 heads per QT.

Never tried it with the dill blossoms open. I always used it before the blossoms opened.
I don't pickle much anymore so it has been a battle to get the (dill) weed out of the garden.

Reactions: zwiller
Never tried it with the dill blossoms open. I always used it before the blossoms opened.
I don't pickle much anymore so it has been a battle to get the (dill) weed out of the garden.
Honestly, don't think there's much difference in the buds vs flowers provided the flowers are not turned brown (we're talking dill right? LOL). Either are better than the young fronds?/leaves like you get at the store and miles above McCormick dried dill "weed". I would not bother making pickled stuff unless I had access to dill heads. While I am at it, having a propane stove and processing outside a MUST.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Honestly, don't think there's much difference in the buds vs flowers provided the flowers are not turned brown (we're talking dill right? LOL). Either are better than the young fronds?/leaves like you get at the store and miles above McCormick dried dill "weed". I would not bother making pickled stuff unless I had access to dill heads. While I am at it, having a propane stove and processing outside a MUST.
Agree that dill heads are the best flavor for pickling. Very intense flavor in a small package.
I like the commercial dill weed (sourced from the dried leaves of the plant) for seasoning other foods.
I only can outside on a 30 year old Outdoor Cooker 2 burner stove.
No indoor range can better the 30k btu burner on the stove.
Outdoor Cooker is today known as Camp Chef.

Reactions: zwiller
Wow, I have never had dill...or any herb come back the next year in my gardens

I planted dill in the garden last year and I had volunteer dill plants all over the garden and my yard .............until this Arctic front that just came in killed it all.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky