Anyone experimented with draining myoglobin before marination?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rock and welch

Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
I typically chill my beef to the point that it’s firm but not frozen to slice, but sometimes something will come up and the beef will be frozen solid by the time I slice.

Normally, regardless of how frozen the beef is, I transfer it to the marinade and into the fridge immediately.

If I let the beef freeze solid, slice and let it sit in room temp until it’s about 30F (still safe) before marinade, quite a bit of fluid will drain.

Has anyone played around with the difference in final product when drained?

What are you making with the beef? If you want the final product to be juicier then add the liquid. The liquid will follow the salt into the meat and be reabsorbed if you use a dry cure. If you want the final product to be dry, leave the fluid out.

What are you making with the beef? If you want the final product to be juicier then add the liquid. The liquid will follow the salt into the meat and be reabsorbed if you use a dry cure. If you want the final product to be dry, leave the fluid out.
Jerky

Nope. I've not experimented with it. I figure I'm about to dry the beef so I dump it down the drain instead of putting it in the marinade.

I guess it wasn’t clear, but the options are to transfer the meat directly to the marinade after slicing, or letting the meat drain before and discarding the discharge.

Reactions: noboundaries
I guess it wasn’t clear, but the options are to transfer the meat directly to the marinade after slicing, or letting the meat drain before and discarding the discharge.
Ahhhh, got it. For jerky, I just slice, toss in a container, add marinade, and discard any juices.

I have added those juices back into the container when marinating beef I'm going to grill. Chicken and pork juices get tossed (insert gag and body shiver here, but that's just me).

Here are the weights of the meat I used to make my two last batches of beef jerky. Used bottom round both times.

1. Package weight, pre-freeze: 2.89 lbs.
Thawed weight after discarding the myoglobin: 2.45 lbs.
2. Package weight, pre-freeze: 4.91 lbs.
Thawed weight after discarding the myoglobin: 4.34 lbs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky