Any thoughts on this grinder/stuffer??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
I have no experience at making my own sausage but I want to learn. I've been looking at Bass Pro, Cabela's, LEM's site, ect... This grinder/stuffer seems to be going for a good price but and seems to be good quality. I've how important it is to have metal gears/auger. It has a warranty. It's from a top rated seller. It all seems to add up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-SPEED-TURBOFO...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3a5abd7490

Also... is this everything I need (plus casings of course) ? I grind up the meat, add the spices, then put on the filler attachment and fill the casing. That's pretty much it. Right?

I think that may be the same one ShooterRick has hopefully he'll see this and tell you if not send him a PM and he can tell you and would be willing to give his thoughts. Some people use the grinder to stuff with but most of us at some point buy a separate vertical stuffer. You can start off stuffing with the grinder and see how you like it and then add the stuffer at a later time. I think a lot has to do with how much sausage your making at one time.

I am with Piney on this - the issue for me is how fast the thing stuffs - my wife and I have a hard time keeping up with the hand crank as newbies so I cant even imagine what it would be like with an electric and trying to stuff the meat into the stuffer and handling the end product at the same time

metal gears and auger are a must, as it is easy to strip these out.  I've even stripped the inexpensive metal models -- right in the middle of processing 2 bison last New Years!  What a PITA that was! 
icon_eek.gif
  I guess its like any tool or optics: buy the best you can afford.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have found that the grinder from Northern Tools have metal gears also. If you have one of them around you, you might want to check them out to.

These little ones work fine for small grinds.  But are slow for stuffing.  If you just doing a couple links at a time then they work fine.  but if you are doing a large batch then it will take forever.  We have a 1hp cabelas grinder and it even takes forever stuffing.  Then again it all depends on what size stuffing your doing.  your standard 1 inch brat size stuff will be what this is for.  Anything smaller will take longer and anything larger will take longer.  Either way, it's not very fast at all.  You can find a small 5lb press and be a lot happier with it.  But since you are just starting out, try this as a stuffer.  If you decide you want to keep stuffing, you will want a real stuffer.

smoke_chef

I think you'll be dissapointed with the electric grinder and using it to stuff . Slow Slow Slow with stuffing. I would invest in a 5lb vertical stuffer. Heres one from NT for $99    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308623_200308623

Then I would  find a # 12 or larger hand crank grinder from craigslist or at a yard sale at a good price and start from there. Then if you start making larger batches you could upgrade to an electric grinder.

This is what I would do.

I've been making sausage almost 20 yrs

Good luck

We got a 5lb verticle & a grinder. I noticed the tubes that came with the grinder were much shorter than the stuffer tubes, so less casing would fit on it.

The first time we ground two butts and stuffed them all the same day. Lot of learning curve, especially the casings. Now I like to grind one day and season, and stuff the next day.

Much less to tackle and there is the clean up of the units as well. Also remember you can just make patties if you don't want to mess with casings.

Good luck!

Much less to tackle and there is the clean up of the units as well. Also remember you can just make patties if you don't want to mess with casings.

Good luck!
Oh thats the best part.  When we are doing summer sausage and salami, we always fry a bunch of patties up for lunch.  mmmmmmmmmm

Wow... awesome feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. I look forward to posting q-view of my sausage sometime in the near future.

I love love love my vertical stuffer...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Vertical-Sausage-Stuffer-SS/H6252

For less than $100, I can do 5lb manually turning that crank FASTER than I could with my old outdated electric Oster.  ::cheers::

-Princess
smoke_chef

I think you'll be dissapointed with the electric grinder and using it to stuff . Slow Slow Slow with stuffing. I would invest in a 5lb vertical stuffer. Heres one from NT for $99    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308623_200308623

Then I would  find a # 12 or larger hand crank grinder from craigslist or at a yard sale at a good price and start from there. Then if you start making larger batches you could upgrade to an electric grinder.

This is what I would do.

I've been making sausage almost 20 yrs

Good luck

I have the same grinder.  Probably have put 500lbs of meat through it altogether.  I usually make sausage in 20lbs batches.  I have used this grinder for some time so let me give you some info.  I only grind on low speed as that is as fast as I can feed the hopper.  Also all parts you see that are silver are not stainless but chrome plated.  That means care should be taken not to use metal utinsels.  Use wood or plastic.  Also that means if you do not dry after use and clean up those parts will get ugly fast. 

I have used it to stuff also but:  More than 5lb with any grinder as a stuffer is a pain.  You cannot get the texture for some sausages because you are grinding again and running through an auger more than with a dedicated stuffer.  Andouille is an example of a sausage that you want large pieces of meat in.  Not possible to do well with a grinder alone.  Clean up is more difficult do the the smearing of fat in the grinder. 

Tips that may help.  Buy a cheap foot controller that is single action.  Foot on it grinds foot off it stops.  Can be had for about 15 bucks and will free up a hand.  As soon as you can get a dedicated vertical style stuffer with a 15lb capacity.  Remember that if the tank capacity says 10lb or 15lb it will only  hold 9 or 14 lbs respectively.  This is due to the space the plunger needs to get down far enoeph to seal.

I have had no problems with my Northern Tool/Gander 15lbs stuffer and cost about 165.00.  The plastic tubes work for me and until they go bad I am not worried about SS tubes.  Casings can be had in Natural or Calogen but I prefere natural hog casings as they link nicely and I have less blow outs.  If you choose Calogen PM me a address and I will send ya some to try.  I just dont like them but many use them.  Learn how to handle casings before you start and have an idea of what you need to do with them to prep. 

Not everything but I hope a helpful start

Shooter

Shooter... awesome info. It's great to get feedback from someone that has the same unit I'm looking at.

Good advice from all above. I love this site. So many helpful folks!!

Thanks to all.

I agree, bigger is better with a stuffer, but make sure you have room for it!  My 5lb stuffer has dedicated space and is bolted to a countertop in my basement. I would not have been able to do that with a 15lb stuffer.  I have found that if it is out, I will use it. If I don't "see" it every day, it'll just not get used as often.

-Princess

Originally Posted by ShooterRick  

As soon as you can get a dedicated vertical style stuffer with a 15lb capacity.  Remember that if the tank capacity says 10lb or 15lb it will only  hold 9 or 14 lbs respectively.  This is due to the space the plunger needs to get down far enoeph to seal.

I agree, bigger is better with a stuffer, but make sure you have room for it!  My 5lb stuffer has dedicated space and is bolted to a countertop in my basement. I would not have been able to do that with a 15lb stuffer.  I have found that if it is out, I will use it. If I don't "see" it every day, it'll just not get used as often.

-Princess

Princess is correct.  You have to take the room you have into account.  For me room is not a problem and since I make sausage on a as need basis, (when I am out I make)  I simply clamp mine to the countertop and go.  You selected a 350 watt grinder I think.  Looks well made but don't push it to fast.  Grinding for me is the least time consuming of all the proceedures considering I turn natural casings inside out when rinsing them.  Enjoy! 

Last edited:
Ooohhh! You gonna LOVE it!!

I *just* ran mine this morning (I am working on a post with HUGE Q-View) and it was like a dream. I swear, it is the sexxiest piece of kitchen equipment I own. 
icon_mrgreen.gif
  My only concern... My big bowls will not fit under the grind output. If I were using it as a stuffer too, I'd not mind, but I stuff separately. I had to use low bowls and just dump them into the big bucket as it got full.

Next time? I may grind off the end of the counter into the big bucket on a chair or something...

No smear, no waste, just hummed away and made some gorgoeus ground. Pics coming soon, watch my threads!

-Princess

Well... after a great deal of thought and study. This is the one I went with. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36989_36989

I also ordered an LEM footswitch. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_65144____SearchResults

I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks again to everyone that gave feedback. It was all helpful!!

(I am working on a post with HUGE Q-View) and it was like a dream. I swear, it is the sexxiest piece of kitchen equipment I own.  

I can't wait to see the Q-view you mention!!! And love that you refer to a peace of kitchen equipment as sexy.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky