Any smokers in West Michigan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ethm1

Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Muskegon, Michigan
Hi Folks,

Anybody in the West Michigan area?  I'd love to get some folks together to form a group up here for informational and smokeformational purposes.  I've built my smoker and smoke generator and am tweaking it.  I love to tinker, look at my smoker in my profile.  Where can I buy smoking pellets in my area?  Do pellets work as well or better in a cold smoke generator?

I'm famous for my briskets and butts, but there is NO competition that I know of around here.

I may be a newbie as far as the forum goes, but I've been lurking around it for a long while, got a lot ideas from it, including all my cold smoker generator ideas.  All the regulars on this forum are top notch, and I've never seen a more supportive group on an internet forum.  Most blogs or forums are full of flames and rude posts, you regular guys (and gal) are a great bunch.  I think I'll enjoy growing old (and fatter) together.

Oh, one more thing, I've seen more acronyms in this forum in the last month than I did in my whole Navy career!  Is there a page where I can find them all in one place? 

Jim

Hi there.
I read your listing, and wanted to tell you, my husband & I opened up an 'incubator' style kitchen in Holland ( At the Outlet Mall)
If you do find people that want to have a cookoff, we would love to host something like that. The building we have is a 2000 sq. ft. kitchen, and then an additional 8000 sq. ft. that we are going to turn into a banquet hall.

Let me know, and we will see if we can put one together

Laura

Hi Folks,

Anybody in the West Michigan area?  I'd love to get some folks together to form a group up here for informational and smokeformational purposes.  I've built my smoker and smoke generator and am tweaking it.  I love to tinker, look at my smoker in my profile.  Where can I buy smoking pellets in my area?  Do pellets work as well or better in a cold smoke generator?

I'm famous for my briskets and butts, but there is NO competition that I know of around here.

I may be a newbie as far as the forum goes, but I've been lurking around it for a long while, got a lot ideas from it, including all my cold smoker generator ideas.  All the regulars on this forum are top notch, and I've never seen a more supportive group on an internet forum.  Most blogs or forums are full of flames and rude posts, you regular guys (and gal) are a great bunch.  I think I'll enjoy growing old (and fatter) together.

Oh, one more thing, I've seen more acronyms in this forum in the last month than I did in my whole Navy career!  Is there a page where I can find them all in one place? 

Jim
Welcome Jim,

Here's the link your looking for:  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/acronyms

Oh, it's fine. Is it allowed that I can put my phone # on here, so you have it when you are in the area?

You can put your phone # on here, but better would be to send a personal message. Unless you want us all to call you.   
icon_lol.gif

well, I dont mind, I just don't see anywhere on here to put it in like an email form? 616-834-7475 

I would send a personal message - but too late! I assume this is your business phone number. I'll make sure to stop next time I go by there. Are you open in the winter? Hours? 

lol, yes, I did NOT post my home #. We live close by, so when you are out this way, call me & I can meet you over there. There are no set hours, when someone needs to rent it, we open.
I think it would be awesome if we could get a panel of judges (maybe some local chef's from the area) and ... maybe during Tulip Time? do a 'smokers cookoff" ?

There was a grill/barbecue contest in Holland last year, probably during tulip time. My son wanted me to enter, but I'm not a griller as much as a smoker. Muskegon Athetic Club sponsored a BBQ type shindig last summer I think on Memorial weekend in downtown Muskegon for the first time. There were only like 5 groups entered with the categories of brisket, ribs, and wings if I remember correctly. There were customer surveys to determine the best, I filled out my paperwork, but never heard anything else. Very poor follow up, nothing made the paper. I was psyched and arrived early. It was not very well attended. I assume they will have it again. Each entrant had samples for sale for like a buck each or something. It was OK, but not really too memorable unless you were psyched like me in a new hobby/interest. Kind of disappointing. Maybe it will be better this year.

That's a shame that there wasn't much follow up. Great idea though, the different catagories, and then for each person to sell their items for people to try. I will see what I can come up with. Have you found out if there are quite a few smokers in the W. MI area? I tried to do an Indoor Farmers winter market, and didn't end up w/ enough vendors to make it worth everyone's while to bring their stuff over.

The last show I did (An arts & craft show) had over 120 booths & a little over 800 people come through there, so I was pleased with that.
Have you ever smoked cheese before?

My friend (and his 'green egg') are going to try it for me

Hi Michigan Smokers. I am in Byron Center- Grand Rapids. I have been new to smoking for about 5 years now. I have used a wood burner Brinkman Smoker King but my days of watching the flame and smoke are over. I am saving up my pop can $$ to go electric. I am strongly leading towards a Smokin- it #3. Any input? Would love to do a smoke out event somewhere this sumer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky