Any new Michigan Members?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome TomCrump TomCrump I have a cottage 26 miles east of TC. Wind can cause issues, if possible some type of windbreak can help. Looking at your setup (nice), looks like it may be possible to place plywood or even a tarp. Both removable when not needed. Guessing you Smoke year round?

I joined the forum a few months back, but just "discovered" the Michigan group.

I'm from Traverse City.

My first smoker was an electric Masterbuilt, followed by the Dyn-Glo pictured in my avatar. Both are gone. (my son-in-law has the Dyna-Glo)

Currently, I'm cooking on my trusty Weber kettle, Weber Genesis, and recently purchased Weber Smokey Mountain and Yoder Wichita.

While I enjoy the kettle and gas grill, the WSM and Wichita have been a revelation. For me, both produce better results than I've been able to achieve before.

I have a question, though. As you guys know, it's been windy. Too me, it seems to alter temps in the smoker.

Assuming that this happens to most pitmasters, what is the best way to counteract it's effects ?

Thanks for any help that you may provide.

Welcome... The wind can be a major downer I dealt with it Saturday down here by Lansing even using my large 250 gallon tow smoker. Sucks all the heat right out of the steel. I was shoveling wood into like never before. Really the only thing you can do is some type of wind shield.

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

The plan is to get some sort of roll up sun shield, placing them on all four sides of the Yoder's "garage". I've seen them at big box stores, in the patio section.

You guys verified my thoughts.

My deck gets too much snow for me to smoke during the snow months. Shoveling a path to the big smoker is more work than I care to do. The Yoder has already been put to bed.

I plan to store the WSM in my garage, and place it outside the service door when I smoke. I can easily monitor it from the garage, or by bluetooth, from my living room.

Will the WSM need a blanket, or anything else, to perform well in the cold ? I assume that it will require some type of shielding from the wind.

Welcome donzi.

I just sent a duck to algonac yesterday to get mounted.

We have a big Michigan gathering at my place I Fowlerville every September. A lot of meat gets smoked. You should try to stop by next year.

Scott

Scott, does anyone organize a little get together in or around S/W MI, kind of limited on my driving time.
Martin
If you can handle the drive to Chicago I'll have my whole crew set up for the Windy City Smokeout July 10-12th, great country music and BBQ with lots of cold beer it's going to be a great event.

You'd be very welcome to hang out with us at the tent's where we cook and vend to relax and take it all in.

Got me looking at the windy city smokeout. Looks to be at the United Center. Grew up in GR but moved to Chicago so this may be an opportunity to get out and spend a day. Went to a similar festival a few years back in the parking lot of soldier field... Blues, Brews, and BBQ.

martin1950 martin1950

we have had our fattie contest for the past 8 years. it’s in Fowlerville. Driving time for you would be an hour or two depending on where your at. Had a guy from that way come out last year for the first time. He pitched a tent and spent the night on the property. Usually have an rv or two and some tents set up for this contest as people do come from all over.

not sure on any other Michigan get togethers. Haven’t seen any in a while. We use to get together here and there for small gatherings to process deer and smoke cheese but it’s been a while. And it’s
always in Fowlerville.

let me know if your interested in this years gathering. It’ll be September again. PM me if you have any questions.

Scott

Reactions: martin1950
Nice! You're in my neck of the state.. welcome from Flint :-)

Fellow UDS user here as well. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Any tips for running in the cold and wind?

I ran for 9hrs today doing a seasoning run on my fresh drum. The bitter wind was hell on me and trying to hold temp.
Once it starting snowing and the wind died down a bit. The temp stabilized, so I know cold/snow doesn't hurt other than burning more fuel. But the wind. Geez.

I ended up dragging the drum deep into my carport to get some kind of wind break.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky