Any new Michigan Members?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi! Just joined the forums today after reading a bunch of posts in preparation for getting my Smoke Vault. I'm in the Jackson area and work in Ann Arbor. Might move back to Metro Detroit one day; who knows.

My first smoke was a success: hickory smoked chicken thighs. Juicy as hell with nice, sweet, hickory flavor. The best chicken thighs I've ever made.
59285460_903734579421_8115517662739562496_o.jpg

Welcome megacannon,lots of great guys on the site and lots of knowledge, feel free to post questions in the forums someone will probably have a answer.Im north of Lansing in a small town called Elsie

Hey all, Commerce area here. Just joined yesterday.

Currently have a Masterbuilt propane, I think 30 or 40. Can't remember which one. I love the thing, but it's starting to rust out pretty back. Looking at replacing it with a Smokin-it #2D Wifi or #3D. Something I can leave outside with a cover all year, let cook without much supervision, and something that'll let me smoke in the rain or snow!

Reactions: fivetricks
Hello from Flint! I work in and around Commerce twp.

I think what you're looking for is called an Ugly Drum Smoker. Check it out.

Just registered after browsing for years. Caught the bug about 10 years ago to smoke brisket and been trying ever since. Started with Smokey Joe electric "smoker", then upgraded to a Weber kettle, then Weber Performer, then added a Smoke n Sear and a Party Q, then took a big leap up to a Rectec then Memphis Pro. Just sold the Mephis because it just didn't smoke enough and now looking at Mak or Kamado Joe. I think I enjoy experimenting as much as eating. Anyone have a Mak in SE Michigan?

Reactions: fivetricks
Hey all, Commerce area here. Just joined yesterday.

Currently have a Masterbuilt propane, I think 30 or 40. Can't remember which one. I love the thing, but it's starting to rust out pretty back. Looking at replacing it with a Smokin-it #2D Wifi or #3D. Something I can leave outside with a cover all year, let cook without much supervision, and something that'll let me smoke in the rain or snow!

Welcome ponzLL. Thanks for joining and I look forward to seeing more good cooks and Qview.

-Humdinger

Just registered after browsing for years. Caught the bug about 10 years ago to smoke brisket and been trying ever since. Started with Smokey Joe electric "smoker", then upgraded to a Weber kettle, then Weber Performer, then added a Smoke n Sear and a Party Q, then took a big leap up to a Rectec then Memphis Pro. Just sold the Mephis because it just didn't smoke enough and now looking at Mak or Kamado Joe. I think I enjoy experimenting as much as eating. Anyone have a Mak in SE Michigan?

Welcome AnnArbor. No Mak here, but I've had my eye on the ceramic type cookers for some time. Good Luck and keep smokin'.

I joined some time back but just started posting. Im in Ann Arbor

Welcome rjbachli Thanks for joining! Go Green! ;-) jk

Reactions: ponzLL
Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to join after all the great posts I found on here, I am in Canton and just got my first smoker a MES 340G. Smoked my first pork butt this past weekend and it turned out great! Plan on doing ribs this weekend.

Attachments

• 20190608_215521.jpg
    20190608_215521.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: humdinger
Hmmm...not sure I ever posted here. In the Kalamazoo area. Started smoking when I got an electric smoker for Christmas 2017. Upgraded to a Camp Chef pellet smoker just before Thanksgiving 2018. Hello all!
Welcome Hobbes! Sounds you're moving up quickly in the smoking world.....Thanks for checking in and I'll keep an eye out for more cooks from you.

Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to join after all the great posts I found on here, I am in Canton and just got my first smoker a MES 340G. Smoked my first pork butt this past weekend and it turned out great! Plan on doing ribs this weekend.
Yeah lurking on this site is like going to see new puppies "just to look..." ;-)
It'll hook you every time! Welcome to the MI group and thanks for saying hello. Holler with any questions. Happy smokin'.

Hi! I've been lurking around the forums, absorbing the information and figured I would register. Kzoo/Portage area here. I've had my smoke vault 18 for 2.5 years.

Reactions: martin1950
I'd love to come but qh fatties just don't do it for me personally and the "rib event" was closed before it even opened so.....

I support everything you're doing though friend! Hope to be able to do SOMETHING in the future :-)

New member long time lurker. I'm up in Houghton Lake. I have a green mountain grills pellet pooper that began this obsession and mes that I only use for make sausage.

I joined the forum a few months back, but just "discovered" the Michigan group.

I'm from Traverse City.

My first smoker was an electric Masterbuilt, followed by the Dyn-Glo pictured in my avatar. Both are gone. (my son-in-law has the Dyna-Glo)

Currently, I'm cooking on my trusty Weber kettle, Weber Genesis, and recently purchased Weber Smokey Mountain and Yoder Wichita.

While I enjoy the kettle and gas grill, the WSM and Wichita have been a revelation. For me, both produce better results than I've been able to achieve before.

I have a question, though. As you guys know, it's been windy. Too me, it seems to alter temps in the smoker.

Assuming that this happens to most pitmasters, what is the best way to counteract it's effects ?

Thanks for any help that you may provide.

Attachments

• DSCN0823.JPG
    DSCN0823.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 8
  • m_DSCN0840.jpg
    m_DSCN0840.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 8
  • m_DSCN0833.jpg
    m_DSCN0833.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky