Any hockey fans??? Pulled Pork for tomorrows game!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbishop

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm sure there is lots of football fans but is there any hockey fans??? Go Canadiens Go!

Going to smoke up a 11lbs butt. Any guess on how long it will take? plan on smoking it at 225 till 160 IT. Then wrap with some apple juice and into the oven till 200. Then wrapped in a towel and into the cooler for 2hrs. Game starts at 8pm, was planning on serving it at 9pm...was thinking of putting it in at 10am???

PS. Will be trying ABT's for the first time, wish me luck!

Sbishop

I personally would start it around 7am if not a little before. I always get nervous im gonna miss my meal time my guests are counting on. You can always hold it in the cooler a while longer. When I am doing PP for a special event I always start plenty early just because of the stall. Some take quite a while some dont just depends on that particular piece of meat.

You can always hold it a while longer in the cooler. I let mine rest minimum 1.5 hours in the cooler to let the juices redistribute. Make sure to wrap it in towels and use up all the open air space in the cooler and it will be fine. Enjoy and have a great time.

I used to be a Hartford Whalers fan back in the day. Haven't followed  NHL hockey much since they disappeared. Now its just WHL I watch in person.

Last edited:
Butts will normally run for 1.5-2hrs when cooked at 225....... So based on an 11# butt you are looking at about 22 hrs....... The butt looks like it might be boneless. If it is you can cut it in half to cut down the cook time........ Another option is a higher cook temp....... One of the issues with cooking at 225 is the long stall........ If you cook at a higher temp you can push through the stall....... I will cook at 250-275 and not wrap until I reach an IT of 190-195, then wrap and rest for 1-2hrs before pulling...... I use the carryover cooking to bring me home on the temps..... The bone still pulls out clean....... Another option would be during the foil part and in the oven at 300 to push through the stall.....

i'm going to take your advice and start at 7am...and if by 4pm i'm not even close i will crank the heat...Thanks for the advice!

and "boo" to the last 2 post....HA

Throwing some TBS and steam...
banana_smiley.gif

Looks to be ur on the  right track like jarjarchef said u want to get it up to an past that stall point around (160) if im wrong on stall temp it will b corrected good luck!     GO RANGERS!!!! 

still a small bit of fan...baseball, football, hockey...strikes have turned my life long love...bart star, ray nitchke, hank arron, satchel page...many others of my youth to "my give a crap is broke"...cant afford to go to a schmuckeneers game anymore...and yet the big babies scream for mo money...mo money..mo money... go bolts...i guess...

gnlsr, what cut of meat is in your pic?

butt is sitting at 192, smoker temp is 255. i've got another 45min then its off to the cooler....right now time thanks to the lads for helping me out (racincowboy & jarjarchef)!

I'm a Stars fan through and through, I was so excited when the lockout was over.

Good looking butt, I'd like to say sorry about your loss....but I'm not 
pot.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky