Another WSM 22.5 or 18.5 Newbie question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lubbocksmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Lubbock Texas
Well, I am trying to decide if I should go with a 18.5 or a 22.5 WSM. There is a difference of price of $100.00

I mainly just cook for the family and small get togethers, maybe a total of 6 -8 people. The other side of the coin is bigger is better in Texas.

I would be the "RIb's Meow" but just can't to seem to get off the fence

Whatcha ya'll Thinkin?

I already own a 22.5 Weber Kettle and a New Braunsfel horizontal smoker and am looking to add a Vertical Smoker

What JaxGatorz said.... You really want to be able to smoke things for later in the week as well as the day in question.  Once it's fired up, I usually cover the grates with food for the whole week ahead.

Get the 22.5", not only can you put more stuff on, but it is a lot easier to do full racks of spares and full packer briskets. Also a lot of times I will cook a couple of side dishes to go with the meat for dinner. Having the room to do it all in one smoker is real nice!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I got the 18.5 and guess what i have a sore ass for kicking myself so much lol.. Wish i would have got the 22.5
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

But as far as performance you can't go wrong with either

Spend the extra $100, the 22 takes full racks of ribs easily, the 18 won't. They are both excellent smokers, but you will be buying a second one in the near future if you buy the 18. I have smoked eight 7  lb. butts at one time in my 22. Let us know what you decide.

For me the extra $100.00 wasn't an issue. I wanted the 22.5, just wasn't sure I needed it. I went with the 18.5 and it was the right choice for me. Takes up less room on my lanai and uses less fuel. I hardly ever smoke more than will fit on the 18.5 and if I need to I just plan ahead and do some smokes in advance and freeze the food for reheating. For instance, if I am doing pulled pork and ribs for a larger group I will do the butts ahead of time as they freeze and reheat real well and no one can ever tell they weren't done that day. Then I will do the ribs the day of the event. I also have other equipment I can use which is another reason I went with the 18.5 as the deck is getting a little crowded and have to keep the wife happy.
icon_mrgreen.gif
  Just my .02¢, you can't go wrong with either. Let us know which way you go when you pull the trigger.

Well I decide............... I ordered the WSM 22.5 Last night and got free shipping from Lowes.com....I have been having problems with blood pressure and my wife jokingly said take my blood pressure after I placed the order for the smoker. Here is the funny part, My blood pressure was damn near PERFECT!!!!... It only took a few bills and the dreams of smoking meat in my head. HA HA!!!,

So now I can hardly wait, We are looking at planning our first party all ready.

I am smoking ribs tomorrow on my Hondo. Ist time every doing ribs, I found a basic spray for ribs to keep moist and what not, but I forgot to bookmark it in WIKI. Does anyone know where I can find it? It basically outlined step by step what to do. I remeber a 3 to 1 ration of apple cider and something but can't remember.

Oh well happy smoking

I just use straight apple juice. If you coat the ribs with brown sugar about a half hour before you put them in the smoker & let it melt all over the ribs you won't need to spritz them at all if you use the 3-2-1 method. If you don't foil then start spritzing after about 2+ hours.

Well I decide............... I ordered the WSM 22.5 Last night and got free shipping from Lowes.com....I have been having problems with blood pressure and my wife jokingly said take my blood pressure after I placed the order for the smoker. Here is the funny part, My blood pressure was damn near PERFECT!!!!... It only took a few bills and the dreams of smoking meat in my head. HA HA!!!,

So now I can hardly wait, We are looking at planning our first party all ready.

I am smoking ribs tomorrow on my Hondo. Ist time every doing ribs, I found a basic spray for ribs to keep moist and what not, but I forgot to bookmark it in WIKI. Does anyone know where I can find it? It basically outlined step by step what to do. I remeber a 3 to 1 ration of apple cider and something but can't remember.

Oh well happy smoking
Good!!. AIMTOFIND.COM  had them for 336.00 W/ free fed ex shipping.  I got mine 3 wks ago. This thing is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! You ll love it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky