Another WSM 22.5 or 18.5 Newbie question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lubbocksmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Lubbock Texas
Well, I am trying to decide if I should go with a 18.5 or a 22.5 WSM. There is a difference of price of $100.00

I mainly just cook for the family and small get togethers, maybe a total of 6 -8 people. The other side of the coin is bigger is better in Texas.

I would be the "RIb's Meow" but just can't to seem to get off the fence

Whatcha ya'll Thinkin?

I already own a 22.5 Weber Kettle and a New Braunsfel horizontal smoker and am looking to add a Vertical Smoker

What JaxGatorz said.... You really want to be able to smoke things for later in the week as well as the day in question.  Once it's fired up, I usually cover the grates with food for the whole week ahead.

Get the 22.5", not only can you put more stuff on, but it is a lot easier to do full racks of spares and full packer briskets. Also a lot of times I will cook a couple of side dishes to go with the meat for dinner. Having the room to do it all in one smoker is real nice!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I got the 18.5 and guess what i have a sore ass for kicking myself so much lol.. Wish i would have got the 22.5
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

But as far as performance you can't go wrong with either

Spend the extra $100, the 22 takes full racks of ribs easily, the 18 won't. They are both excellent smokers, but you will be buying a second one in the near future if you buy the 18. I have smoked eight 7  lb. butts at one time in my 22. Let us know what you decide.

For me the extra $100.00 wasn't an issue. I wanted the 22.5, just wasn't sure I needed it. I went with the 18.5 and it was the right choice for me. Takes up less room on my lanai and uses less fuel. I hardly ever smoke more than will fit on the 18.5 and if I need to I just plan ahead and do some smokes in advance and freeze the food for reheating. For instance, if I am doing pulled pork and ribs for a larger group I will do the butts ahead of time as they freeze and reheat real well and no one can ever tell they weren't done that day. Then I will do the ribs the day of the event. I also have other equipment I can use which is another reason I went with the 18.5 as the deck is getting a little crowded and have to keep the wife happy.
icon_mrgreen.gif
  Just my .02¢, you can't go wrong with either. Let us know which way you go when you pull the trigger.

Well I decide............... I ordered the WSM 22.5 Last night and got free shipping from Lowes.com....I have been having problems with blood pressure and my wife jokingly said take my blood pressure after I placed the order for the smoker. Here is the funny part, My blood pressure was damn near PERFECT!!!!... It only took a few bills and the dreams of smoking meat in my head. HA HA!!!,

So now I can hardly wait, We are looking at planning our first party all ready.

I am smoking ribs tomorrow on my Hondo. Ist time every doing ribs, I found a basic spray for ribs to keep moist and what not, but I forgot to bookmark it in WIKI. Does anyone know where I can find it? It basically outlined step by step what to do. I remeber a 3 to 1 ration of apple cider and something but can't remember.

Oh well happy smoking

I just use straight apple juice. If you coat the ribs with brown sugar about a half hour before you put them in the smoker & let it melt all over the ribs you won't need to spritz them at all if you use the 3-2-1 method. If you don't foil then start spritzing after about 2+ hours.

Well I decide............... I ordered the WSM 22.5 Last night and got free shipping from Lowes.com....I have been having problems with blood pressure and my wife jokingly said take my blood pressure after I placed the order for the smoker. Here is the funny part, My blood pressure was damn near PERFECT!!!!... It only took a few bills and the dreams of smoking meat in my head. HA HA!!!,

So now I can hardly wait, We are looking at planning our first party all ready.

I am smoking ribs tomorrow on my Hondo. Ist time every doing ribs, I found a basic spray for ribs to keep moist and what not, but I forgot to bookmark it in WIKI. Does anyone know where I can find it? It basically outlined step by step what to do. I remeber a 3 to 1 ration of apple cider and something but can't remember.

Oh well happy smoking
Good!!. AIMTOFIND.COM  had them for 336.00 W/ free fed ex shipping.  I got mine 3 wks ago. This thing is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! You ll love it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky