Another turkey question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

menace2sobriety

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
clarksville Tn
Ive searched though some old threads but just wanted to go ahead and ask anyway. Planning on smoking a whole turkey sometime in the next week. Never cooked any kind of bird like this before. Any advice before I end up with a full on turkey jerky. Temps, Times, where do I take a temp reading, any recipes. I literally have no idea what Im doing with this one. I just want to do a test run and see if Ill be having smoked turkey for thanksgiving.

To get more accurate answers please provide what type of smoker you are using and the size of the bird as well.

Oh lol Sorry, Ive been gone for a while I feel like a forum newb again. for smokers Ive got my choice of either using my old country wrangler stick burner or my MES. probably going to fire up the old country since I feel like its been neglected since I got the MES. Not sure how big a turkey yet I haven't bought one yet. Nothing big just enough for me, wife, and kid as a test run.

I've smoked a few small turkeys in my WSM, appx 12 lbs and about 325-350 temp. I don't inject, but I do brine if not enhanced. They have all been less then 4 hours...pulled when thigh registered 175.

Mike

I typically do 10-12 pound birds in my MES40. I pull when the thigh hits 165F.

BUT - if you do it in your stick burner in the 325-350 range, I think the skin will be way better than when I do it at 275F in my MES40...and then have to crisp the skin the rest of the way in a conventional oven for about 5 minutes at 425F.

My vote is to use you Country Wrangler stick burner

You have been given some great answers.
I would brine mine. Slaughterhouse brine works great.
If you spatchcock the bird it will cook faster and more even. However cook times will vary on smoker and size of bird. I figure about 10-12 min per pound with a 2hr minimum for non-spatchcock birds. For spatchcock birds I plan on 5-8 min per pound with a 1.5 hr minimum.
Temp in the thick part of breast and thigh, making sure to not touch the bone. Minimum final cook temp of 165F.
If crispy skin is desired. You will either have to cook at a higher temp than 350F or blast in hot oven for about 20-30min to crisp the skin. I use the oven, better results for me.
Make sure you have allowed the bird to rest at least 20-30min before carving.

Hope this helps.
Jeramy

Reactions: menace2sobriety
I usually buy Butterballs, so there is no need to brine them.
I do however like to inject them with Tony C's roasted garlic & herb marinade.
I spatchcock mine & pull them out when the breast hits 157.
After a short rest on the counter the carryover cooking will bring it up to 165.
At that point the thigh should be about 175-180, which is perfect for thigh meat.
Al

Reactions: menace2sobriety
Last turkey I did was 20 pounds and took a little over 4 hours. I injected it, but did not brine it.
Smoked turkey is way better than chicken, you will be hooked!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky