Another smoked turkey question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
First time trying to smoke a turkey this year. Smallest one I could find was 14lb. I was thinking of throwing it in the rec tec with a tube at 180 or 200 for an hour or two for better smoke profile, and then crank it up (325-350?) for the rest if the cook to get a crispier skin. Will it be safe to do it this way since I won’t be starting at a higher temp. I also am wanting to keep it whole with a stick of butter inside, breast side down.

Thoughs or suggestions similar to this method?? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Thomas The Tank
Personally I like to spatchcock the turkey. It cooks much more even & also quicker. You can put butter under the skin, but I choose to inject the turkey with Tony C’s jalapeño/butter marinade. It really gives the turkey a wonderful flavor. Good luck with what ever you decide!
Al

Smoking one for the first time myself tomorrow. Trying to decide on putting directly on the grate or in a foil roasting pan. Also times seems to be anywhere from 4-10 hours dont want it done too early or too late and looking for suggestions from those that have experience

Smoking one for the first time myself tomorrow. Trying to decide on putting directly on the grate or in a foil roasting pan. Also times seems to be anywhere from 4-10 hours dont want it done too early or too late and looking for suggestions from those that have experience

Hi there and welcome!

You will want to smoke your turkey at a smoker temp of 325F+ so the skin is edible. If you smoke at lower temps you can easily end up with inedible leather skin... seriously inedible. Its a temp thing, not anything you or the bird did wrong.

A 20 pound bird in my smoker at a steady 325F without opening the smoke till its done takes just under 4 hours.

I suggest you put on a rack in a pan, these birds put off a TON of liquid that you dont want making a mess or ruining your fire/temp. Also that juice is fantastic for making a gravy or basting the turkey at the table (not while its cooking).
I also suggest you have brined the turkey but if you didnt then I would heavily encourage you injecting an injectable marinade into the breast all over and into the thighs and such.

I hope this info helps :)

Putting the turkey on a rack over a pan will make smoker cleanup easier. I do brine. Brine is worth the effort. I have attempted the 350 degree quest for crispy skin. In the attempt to get crispy skin it seems I gave up low and slow and we felt the turkey not as juicy, tender, and the smoke flavor as good as if done @ 225.

It's the tenderness, moisture, and flavor in the meat of smoking we prefer. For crisp skin I think deep frying a better choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky