Another Rye Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
My second rye bread using Judy's recipe. This is the best rye bread ever! Dough doubles in 30 minutes! Probably my starter is so active. I do not keep a starter in fridge anymore. I just use dried and it ready to bake in less than 2 days and very active. I took this time to combine the one that Dan and I mixed together and mixed with the one from Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter.

20210723_143655.jpg 20210723_143742.jpg

I started this from dried night before last. This is less than 2 hours after feeding from making bread. I going to start drying it tomorrow.

20210723_125741.jpg

This going to be Enchilada's tomorrow. Got Smoked Beef Cheeks Biarria Taco's coming soon. Going to braise in chilerelleno chilerelleno red sauce. Stay tuned.

20210723_143745.jpg

Went bumming around the Blue River Tuesday in Tishomingo, Oklahoma This is spring feed and never seen it this muddy. Stopped at Old Red, Blake Sheldon bar. Gretchen even got to come in. If I would of went last Friday like I planned Blake and Quinn stopped in.

20210720_121152.jpg 20210720_120742.jpg 20210720_114504.jpg 20210720_113709.jpg 20210720_114548.jpg

Here is her sourdough version.

198 g Starter
127 g Water
¼ cup Oil
¼ cup pickle juice
172 g Bread Flour
102 g Rye flour
3 Tbs Potato Flakes
1.5 Tbs Raw Sugar
2 Tbs Caraway Seeds I use 1
1.5 tsp salt
2.5 tsp instant yeast
2 Tbls dough improver. I use wheat gluten

Place bread flour, rye flour, potato flakes, caraway seeds, demarara sugar, yeast, and sea salt in the bowl of a large stand mixer. Turn mixer to low and thoroughly mix dry ingredients. Beat warm water, canola oil, and pickle juice into dry ingredients. Fit dough hook onto mixer and beat until dough is rough and shaggy-looking.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for exactly 30 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and knead dough in stand mixer with dough hook until smooth, firm, and only slightly sticky, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 more minutes.

Form dough into a ball, place dough into an oiled bowl, and turn dough around several times in bowl to coat with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set into a warm place, and let rise until nearly double, about 1 hour.

Grease a 5x9-inch loaf pan. Turn dough onto a lightly oiled surface, shape into a log, and place into prepared loaf pan. Cover with a cloth kitchen towel and let rise until top of dough has risen slightly over top of pan, 60 to 90 minutes.

Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake loaf until golden brown and cooked through, about 35 minutes. The internal temperature of the bread should be 190 degrees F (90 degrees C). If loaf browns too quickly, cover loosely with a tent of aluminum foil with shiny side out. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky