Another mini build thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Adam I use that ridge to place my lower rack on, then I have a modified rack that can go past that ridge all the way to the bottom. That gives me ample room to put two butts in the smoker.
Exactly… The diffuser now sits at the bottom of the pot with the modified grate and you use the steam plate recess for your 3rd cooking grate allowing for extra cooking space. . So now you  use the pots lid to raise it a few inches out of the lower part of the weber allowing more charcoal room.  Best of both worlds.

But back to Adams build.  There really is no wrong way. The way you want it built is the best way! b

Can you cook that close to the fire?

When building my uds everyone said that you had to be 24 inches from the fire.

I do all the time. You just need to have the terracotta planter tray or some other good diffuser in there. That diffuser will balance out the temps on the lower and upper racks to within 5 degrees of each other.

The steamer insert is great for higher temp smokes and when only using the upper rack position. But for using the lower and upper racks using the terra-cotta diffuser works the best in my opinion.

Last edited:
I do all the time. You just need to have the terracotta planter tray or some other good diffuser in there. That diffuser will balance out the temps on the lower and upper racks to within 5 degrees of each other.

The steamer insert is great for higher temp smokes and when only using the upper rack position. But for using the lower and upper racks using the terra-cotta diffuser works the best in my opinion.
Could I set the terra cotta pot on the steamer insert if I need to use the lower rack?

Could I set the terra cotta pot on the steamer insert if I need to use the lower rack?
Yes you can do that, and then set the rack right on the terra-cotta. Its pretty simple to modify a cooking grate to slip past the steamer tray insert spot if needed to get to the bottom. I really comes down to how much space do you need. I have never added a second set of grate bolts between the top grate spot and the steamer tray location. Right now if I set a grate at the steamer insert location, then put a 8-9 pound butt on the lower grate, then put in the upper grate, that grate will usually be touching the meat below. I have my top grate set 4" below the top of the pot. I have considered adding another grate location half way between the top grate and the steamer insert location. But I haven't simply because I usually am not cooking that much food, especially food that is only 2-3 inches thick.

I just added a second cooking grate while I was building, just incase.   Don't think I will use it often unless I don't have enough room between the top grate and lid.

I put my second cooking grate 3 inches above the steamer insert.

I have my top grate 4" below the rim of the pot and I have never had a problem fitting anything in until I did a full picnic shoulder. Then I had to just use the lower grate at the steamer insert level to get it to fit. Normal bone in pork butts fit just fine.

So the idea of the bottom rack is to hold the diffuser.  Then the steamer ridge holds the lower cooking rack.  Is there any reason that the steamer insert couldn't be modified to fit past the ridge?  Is there any time when you do not want any sort of diffuser on the bottom? 

If the steamer rack can be put all the way to the bottom, it would be fairly permanent, but if it doesn't ever need pulled, there's no issue.  Or am I missing something?

I have my top grate 4" below the rim of the pot and I have never had a problem fitting anything in until I did a full picnic shoulder. Then I had to just use the lower grate at the steamer insert level to get it to fit. Normal bone in pork butts fit just fine.
I do a lot of shoulder picnics.  My top grate is at 4"s too.

So the idea of the bottom rack is to hold the diffuser.  Then the steamer ridge holds the lower cooking rack.  Is there any reason that the steamer insert couldn't be modified to fit past the ridge?  Is there any time when you do not want any sort of diffuser on the bottom? 

If the steamer rack can be put all the way to the bottom, it would be fairly permanent, but if it doesn't ever need pulled, there's no issue.  Or am I missing something?
I'm sure that you could modify the steamer insert to slip past. At times you will not want anything at the very bottom of the pot. That will allow more room for extra charcoal if needed for longer cooks.

With longer cooks, do you move the diffuser up to the next level?  Or is there no diffuser used?  I don't like wasting stuff and if the steamer insert is good for holding the diffuser, then I'd rather use it for that.  But if it blocks air flow due to just having holes instead of being open like a grate, I don't have an issue with the grate.

When you start it up just keep both vents open to warm it up and then dial it back.    It won't take too long to figure out how to dial it in.     Heck of a little smoker those things make.

When you start it up just keep both vents open to warm it up and then dial it back.    It won't take too long to figure out how to dial it in.     Heck of a little smoker those things make.

When I start the basket from the side should I put that spot next to a vent?

Thanks. I just thought it might make a difference being next to incoming air.

It wont look as good as yours cause I am not going to paint it yet.[/quote]

A good looking painted smoker doesn't make the Q better!!! Fire that thing up and get to smoking!! No need to season without putting meat in there. Throw a chicken in there and let er rip!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky