Another MES PID adventure starting...best practices?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danabw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2020
I've tired of my MES30 not measuring or managing temps properly, so I'm taking the plunge and ordering an Auber PID today. I'm getting the WSD-1500H-W:

I wanted to reconfirm the best practices for the rewire of my MES30 Gen1. I had saved this thread a while back from tallbm tallbm , and it looks excellent:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

Are there any other MES PID rewire threads I should check out?

I'm leaning towards the wall mount of the main sensor for reading MES IT. Any reasons why doing that isn't advised? It looks like a fairly simple mount - drill hole through cabinet, insert probe from back, and screw tight w/nut from the inside.

1596642670039.png

Thanks! Would never have known about this mod w/out this forum.

This is what my MES30 looks like (back and bottom):
Back has the panel w/screws where the heating element connections are. I recently replaced the element so that's all new.
1596642167120.png

Bottom has rivets, which I believe I'll be drillin gout as a part of the process.
1596642129710.png

Last edited:
Heres Aubers direct connect to the element and ground to the body but the safety heat limit switch inside the smoker isn't part of the circuit anymore but is with the (no back removal thread which I did.) I have a cord set up like this as a back up incase a problem arises from Mes wiring or a failed limit switch so I can keep smoking. I had a spare Mes cord laying around from cutting the power cord for a warranty smoker replacement.

Reactions: Danabw
That is the same unit I just hooked up Saturday.

I followed the rewire thread you have and was done in just around 40 minutes. I am electronically challenged but following the thread it quite simple.

I also replaced the heating element connectors with new hi temp connectors.

I did some jerkey on Sunday and my Mes40 held 160 +/- a couple degrees during the entire time. Around 4 hours.

The 225 temp picture of the PID is from a trial run to test it out Saturday.
I am a very happy guy.

Much thanks to tallbm and everyone on this forum.

Attachments

• 20200801_123113.jpg
    20200801_123113.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200802_153346.jpg
    20200802_153346.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200802_153421.jpg
    20200802_153421.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200801_121324.jpg
    20200801_121324.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 14
Do you know if and where you may have had any hotspots in your mes? Probe placement could change how it runs with pid. Maybe won't make much difference...just food for thought. But you will love it with a pid!

Ryan

Thanks, dr k dr k .
the safety heat limit switch inside the smoker isn't part of the circuit anymore
What risks does removing the safety heat limit switch create?

I assume one would be that if the Auber malfunctioned the smoker would max out it's temp w/out any modulation at all. Same if someone forgot or didn't know how the smoker was rewired and plugged it directly into a normal plug, the element would heat up to max and stick there. Is that correct, and any other potential issues to be aware of? I have to admit that the simplicity of your mod is attractive, I have power cords around I could use, but want to be sure I understand the potential risks.

I also replaced the heating element connectors with new hi temp connectors.
Thanks, I saw your post and that helped push me over the edge. ;)

Can you point me to the type of hi-temp connector you got?

Did you use the wall mount probe for the MES temps, or the hanging probe that attaches to one of the racks in the MES?

holyfeld holyfeld - I saw that you installed a wall-mount probe in your MES, do you like it? Any lessons learned/comments on that?

Last edited:
Do you know if and where you may have had any hotspots in your mes? Probe placement could change how it runs with pid. Maybe won't make much difference...just food for thought. But you will love it with a pid!

Ryan
Thanks...I've never checked for hot spots, so don't have any info on that. I would like to do the wall mount MES temp probe for the simplicity of use, don't have to mess w/it each time I smoke. I usually use the 2nd and 3rd racks for smoking so was going to position it under the second rack.

Thanks, I saw your post and that helped push me over the edge. ;)

Can you point me to the type of hi-temp connector you got?

Did you use the wall mount probe for the MES temps, or the hanging probe that attaches to one of the racks in the MES?

holyfeld holyfeld - I saw that you installed a wall-mount probe in your MES, do you like it? Any lessons learned/comments on that?
Hi Danabw,

I opted for the hanging temp probe so that I could move it around to check different areas in the smoker. Just me being goofy.

I purchased these from Amazon. (Is okay to say that)?
They worked out pretty well. I did hunt down some replacement shrink wrap as the original had to be cut off. Keep us posted and,, Happy Smoking.
Supco T1113 Quick Disconnect, High Temperature, 90 Degree Flag, 16-14 Gauge, 1/4" Female Tab (Pack of 20)

#1 Best Seller in Flag Terminals
  1. 41lcvtwclkL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Hi Danabw,

I opted for the hanging temp probe so that I could move it around to check different areas in the smoker. Just me being goofy.

I purchased these from Amazon. (Is okay to say that)?
They worked out pretty well. I did hunt down some replacement shrink wrap as the original had to be cut off. Keep us posted and,, Happy Smoking.
Supco T1113 Quick Disconnect, High Temperature, 90 Degree Flag, 16-14 Gauge, 1/4" Female Tab (Pack of 20)

#1 Best Seller in Flag Terminals
  1. View attachment 457214
Thanks! Was there a reason why you chose the 90 degree version, vs. the "regular" one?
1596652220155.png

ETA on my Auber PID is Monday...thinking I'll start stalking the delivery updates and plan my drive out to a neighoring state/FedEx site to pick it up early. :emoji_wink:

Oh come on, I KNOW you've all considered doing this when you were waiting for a new toy... :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Here's a link to what I did with mine . I used the stock mounting hardware for the factory meat probe . 2 keepers and a rubber grommet . Centered the probe both ways in the back . I used the multi purpose sensor . Just pushes in . You can pull it all the way thru and position it , but I get the best results just leaving it thru the back wall .

Thanks! Was there a reason why you chose the 90 degree version, vs. the "regular" one?
View attachment 457215
I had ordered them before looking at the assembly. Turns out the factory connectors are 90's but it looks like there is enough room in the box for the "regular" ones. The regular ones would be a cleaner build after the shrink wrap is on. The 90's will be a bit odd with the shrink wrap. Hmmm.

Here's a link to what I did with mine . I used the stock mounting hardware for the factory meat probe . 2 keepers and a rubber grommet . Centered the probe both ways in the back . I used the multi purpose sensor . Just pushes in . You can pull it all the way thru and position it , but I get the best results just leaving it thru the back wall.
Brilliant! I never really looked at the built-in meat probe's routing, I just removed mine and saved the stock mounting hardware and grommets.

I had already ordered the wall mount probe and two standard probes earlier today, so I'll probably use the wall mount probe for the ME internal temps, and use what I can of the stock ME meat probe mounting kit.

Thanks for your post, it gave me something to do other than hitting refresh on the FedEx delivery page... :)

Reactions: chopsaw
My Auber and Thermoworks, smoke temp probes are ran thru the upper vent since it remains fully open all the time.
Yup, that's how I've been doing it, but I like the capability to mount the MES internal temp probe in the back wall and not have it clipped to a rack as I do now. One less wire/item in the smoking area to worry about. :)

I've tired of my MES30 not measuring or managing temps properly, so I'm taking the plunge and ordering an Auber PID today. I'm getting the WSD-1500H-W:

I wanted to reconfirm the best practices for the rewire of my MES30 Gen1. I had saved this thread a while back from tallbm tallbm , and it looks excellent:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

Are there any other MES PID rewire threads I should check out?

I'm leaning towards the wall mount of the main sensor for reading MES IT. Any reasons why doing that isn't advised? It looks like a fairly simple mount - drill hole through cabinet, insert probe from back, and screw tight w/nut from the inside.

View attachment 457201

Thanks! Would never have known about this mod w/out this forum.

This is what my MES30 looks like (back and bottom):
Back has the panel w/screws where the heating element connections are. I recently replaced the element so that's all new.
View attachment 457200

Bottom has rivets, which I believe I'll be drillin gout as a part of the process.
View attachment 457199

I think there isn't a whole bunch more you need info wise on the rewire.
As for the wall mount probe I'm not a fan of the wall mounts and I like how chopsaw chopsaw went about it because doing a true wall mount means a but more drilling and it still is not easy to access.

So if you are going to do the wall mount you will have to drill 2 sized holes AND the wall mount probe will NEED to be long enough, I feel like a 3ft length is just a bit too short.

Lets talk drilling.
Inside the smoker all the way through the outer back of the smoker u drill a hole the diameter of the threads on the wall mount.
On the oustide BACK of the smoker drill a hole ONLY through that back wall and insualtion big enough for the base nut to go through but NOT through the inner wall.
Then you can remove the forward lock nut, push the probe in through the insulation hole and through the inner back wall hole. Fasten the forward lock nut hand tight.
Now caulk, cover, do whatever to seal up the hole from the back of the smoker cause u dont want the insulation being exposed.

Here is an image I slapped together to explain what i just typed up:
erH7OKq.png

( chopsaw chopsaw I jacked and edited your pick of the inside of the MES haha :) )

How/where u want to position the wall mount probe is up to you.
I personally just go with a probe on an alligator clip in my setup so i can get the best placement possible.

Another item to think on is that your lower racks will be hotter than your sensor is reading so keep that in mind.

I hope this gives u some food for thought and keep asking questions cause you are on the right track with all of this and the community is good at helping :)

Reactions: chopsaw and Danabw
tallbm tallbm - your post is great, really appreciate your comments and info. Thanks very much! The pics are very clear as is your commentary...

So if you are going to do the wall mount you will have to drill 2 sized holes AND the wall mount probe will NEED to be long enough, I feel like a 3ft length is just a bit too short.
The wall mount probe is 6' long, so it should be plenty long for my needs. I'll have the PID on a table right next to the smoker when I use it, and at 6' I will have plenty of room to maneuver things around. If I don't like it as a wall probe I'll remove it and put it through the vent on top and use it the way I do currently w/my thermometer...

tallbm tallbm - your post is great, really appreciate your comments and info. Thanks very much! The pics are very clear as is your commentary...

The wall mount probe is 6' long, so it should be plenty long for my needs. I'll have the PID on a table right next to the smoker when I use it, and at 6' I will have plenty of room to maneuver things around. If I don't like it as a wall probe I'll remove it and put it through the vent on top and use it the way I do currently w/my thermometer...

Good planning!
I think u are all set man. U are going to love running a PID!!! :)

Another item to think on is that your lower racks will be hotter than your sensor is reading so keep that in mind.
I forgot to thank you for this info - I always wondered if it was hotter at the top of the smoker (heat rises) or lower (closer to the heating element. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thanks, dr k dr k .

What risks does removing the safety heat limit switch create?

I assume one would be that if the Auber malfunctioned the smoker would max out it's temp w/out any modulation at all. Same if someone forgot or didn't know how the smoker was rewired and plugged it directly into a normal plug, the element would heat up to max and stick there. Is that correct, and any other potential issues to be aware of? I have to admit that the simplicity of your mod is attractive, I have power cords around I could use, but want to be sure I understand the potential risks.
I did the no back removal mod as well but have a cord ready as a back up. The limit switch keeps the smoker from burning up if the sensor fails or whatever and the PID keeps calling for heat so it opens the circuit to the element around 302. I always set one of my calibrated remote therm probes in the smoker chamber to a range of 145-290 so my alarm goes off before the temp gets too high or low. As long as you have an alert to go check it out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky