Another lesson learned

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
So the Mrs and I decided for this last batch of Kielbasa I'd just do it as fresh instead of smoking. We love the recipe and my Hot Italian fresh works so well, and since we always cook it anyway, why bother smoking?
Big mistake. One word. Bland.
Apparently just the smoking gives it that extra kick.
Since I always use cure now for smoked or fresh, I'm wondering if I can thaw the rest of it and smoke it.
Whatever, "Lesson Learned"!

:th_crybaby2:

Yes, you can smoke the raw/frozen kielbasa. I am really surprised, I LOVE Fresh Kielbasa and recommend it often to guys that have not tried it, winning new converts. Smoke adds flavor but if the sausage is Bland, smoke will not make a huge difference, interesting...JJ

I just made some fresh Addouille, I hot smoked it for a couple of hours & used it in chili.

It really turned out good.

Al

Heck, guys, maybe it was imagination. We may have had the Hot Italian in our minds and it is definitely NOT bland LOL!

I didn't really brown it much, just cooked with potatoes and onions. I'll try frying or grilling.

Then again, this could be a reason to kick my Kielbasa recipe up a notch
biggrin.gif

Dan

Last edited:
I grew up in an area with a large Polish population and had some outstanding Kielbasa. This recipe from Shannon is what I use and by far some of the best I have had. It is simple and great Fresh or Smoked. I have added .5g / Kg Marjoram with success...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129813/kielbasa-start-to-finish-for-chef-jimmy
I already use a tbls of Marjoram along with a tsp of Mustard Seed.
Maybe our taste buds were off that night :dunno
It's not like it's inedible [emoji]128521[/emoji]
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky