Another Chuck Roast (SV Experiment)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Another Chuck Roast (SV Experiment)

After two Perfect Chuck Roasts in a row, The other week I ran into one that was too tough for the same Temp & Time.
I made it exactly like I did the two perfect ones, but it came out Very Tasty, but not even close to Fork Tender.

So with this 3 pound plus Chuck Roast, I did the following:
Like I've been doing I coated it with Worcestershire (Powder), CBP, Garlic & Onion Powders, and Vacuum packed.
Then I filled my Sous Vide Supreme, set it for 138°, and put my Vacuum packed Bagged Chucky in the SV.
30 hours later, I removed the Chucky from the Bath & the Bag, and patted it dry with Paper Towels.
Then I seared both sides on my Weber “Q” to make it look pretty.
Then I sliced enough for our Dinner, and plated some Chucky slices along with some of Mrs Bear’s Mashed Taters & Gravy.

This Roast was Fork Tender & mighty tasty.
I don’t know if this change in Temp & Time solved the problem, but I’m going to keep doing it this way until I run into a Chucky that doesn’t agree with it.

Oh yeah, I had a few more slices for Supper & then sliced the rest of the Roast up for Future Sammies. (Coming Soon!!)

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

One Chucky 3 pounds plus, racked & ready for a Bath:
IMG_1915.jpg

Fresh out of my SV after 30 hours @ 138°:
IMG_1919.jpg

Putting a sear on with my Weber "Q":
IMG_1921.jpg

Finished Searing both sides:
IMG_1922.jpg

Ready for slicing:
IMG_1923.jpg

Sliced enough for Supper:
IMG_1924.jpg

Bear's first Helping with Mashed Taters & Gravy:
IMG_1926.jpg

Close-up to show that Beautiful Fork Tender Beef:
IMG_1925.jpg

Some extra Beef & Gravy for the Hungry Bear:
IMG_1927.jpg

Sliced the rest of the Chucky up for future Sammies:
IMG_1928.jpg

Ready for the Fridge, until called for Sandwich Duty:
IMG_1929.jpg

Looks good . I think the roast has alot to do with the out come . I have not had a bad one done SV . Just some better than the other .

Great looking chuckie Bear!
I guess the next one I do will have to go longer too.
Thanks for keeping up the SV experiments!
It sure make it a lot easier on the rest of us to just follow your guidelines.
This one had to go on the carousel too, congrats!
Al

Looks like another great plate from the bear-den. I keep telling myself to get an SV, now I just have to pull the trigger. You guys are making it difficult not to. Bear were did you get the Worcestershire powder from Amazon or a local mart?

Point for sure
Chris

Holy moley !! That looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. I've been looking at some of your past threads and your successes are an inspiration to me. I really appreciate the details and the pics speak for themselves! On behalf of my fellow newbies, Thank You!!

Great looking chuckie Bear!
I guess the next one I do will have to go longer too.
Thanks for keeping up the SV experiments!
It sure make it a lot easier on the rest of us to just follow your guidelines.
This one had to go on the carousel too, congrats!
Al

Thank You Al !!
Yup, I thought I had it nailed down at 133° for 21 hours, until I ran into that tough Chucky, so I needed to do it longer, with a little more heat. So I'm going with this 138° for 30 hours, unless I get one that still doesn't get "Fork Tender".
And Thanks for the Like, and the carousel ride.

Bear

Can I confirm the times of the day here? Let's assume Sunday dinner at 6pm. So, for 30hrs you're talking at 11am-ish Sat you are filling SV, applying rub, and vac sealing for a noon start. Fire up grill/pan, pull at 6pm, dry, sear, and slice. Something like that?

Looking good bear! I’m telling you my sv’s are getting in the way of my relationship with my crock pots! Headed towards a messy split over here!

Scott

Reactions: normonster
My first few chucks I also ran for 24 hours(ish) and had the same hit or miss problem. I now run at 140 (SWMBO likes them a little more well done) for 32 hours. Burn them on the grill and they are perfect every time. The extra time makes all the difference and I've yet to have one try and fall apart on me and they are truly fork tender. Do you use the liquid in the bag in your gravy? Curious.

Last edited:
HI! I'm new to this site, and to all the terminology you all are using! Would you mind giving me a quick run down of the basics? For starters, what's a sous vide? I'll do some research on my own...but if you know of articles I could read to get me started, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks, Richard

Looks like another great plate from the bear-den. I keep telling myself to get an SV, now I just have to pull the trigger. You guys are making it difficult not to. Bear were did you get the Worcestershire powder from Amazon or a local mart?

Point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
"Spice Jungle" on the internet. Got a pound of it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Holy moley !! That looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. I've been looking at some of your past threads and your successes are an inspiration to me. I really appreciate the details and the pics speak for themselves! On behalf of my fellow newbies, Thank You!!

Thank You Jmt !!
It's comments like yours that keep me inspired to do my Step by Steps.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Can I confirm the times of the day here? Let's assume Sunday dinner at 6pm. So, for 30hrs you're talking at 11am-ish Sat you are filling SV, applying rub, and vac sealing for a noon start. Fire up grill/pan, pull at 6pm, dry, sear, and slice. Something like that?

Much the same---WE eat early here (4 PM).
So I actually Season & Vacuum seal when it comes home from the store.
Then I keep one in the fridge & freeze the others.
Then I thaw a frozen one a couple days before I SV it.
Then I put it in the SV at 10 AM.
Then Preheat my Grill Next day at about 3:40, and sear it a few minutes before 4 PM. Then Slice & Eat.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Thanks for the post Bear! I tried a Chucky in the SV after your 2nd SV chuck roast thread and I think I got a tough one because I ran back to the crock pot for the next three. I'm going to try the 30 hours this next time, I love the ease of the SV and having a formula that works the same every time when I really need it.

Looks good . I think the roast has alot to do with the out come . I have not had a bad one done SV . Just some better than the other .

Thank You Rich!!
Yup---The individual roast has a lot to do with it.
What I'm trying to do is find the sweet spot that makes even the toughest Chucky Fork Tender, without ruining one that wasn't going to need the extra hours & higher temp.
Once I get that nailed down, we'll all know what that sweet spot is.

Bear

Looking good bear! I’m telling you my sv’s are getting in the way of my relationship with my crock pots! Headed towards a messy split over here!

Scott

Thank You Scott !!
I know what you mean!!
I gotta Smoke a Prime Rib on Easter Sunday, or my MES might shut down on me!!
It's been Weeks since it was nice enough out to get my old carcass out there long enough to Smoke something!!
I hope she still remembers me!!

Bear

Reactions: retfr8flyr
My first few chucks I also ran for 24 hours(ish) and had the same hit or miss problem. I now run at 140 (SWMBO likes them a little more well done) for 32 hours. Burn them on the grill and they are perfect every time. The extra time makes all the difference and I've yet to have one try and fall apart on me and they are truly fork tender. Do you use the liquid in the bag in your gravy? Curious.

Thank You!!
Yup, your 140° for 32 hours is pretty much the same as my 138° for 30 hours.
I think we're getting it cornered!
Yes we use the liquid in our Gravy.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky