Another Chuck Roast (SV Experiment)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
HI! I'm new to this site, and to all the terminology you all are using! Would you mind giving me a quick run down of the basics? For starters, what's a sous vide? I'll do some research on my own...but if you know of articles I could read to get me started, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard,
That's a good link Hillbilly gave you.
Here's one from the company I got mine from:
https://sousvidesupreme.com/pages/learn

Bear

Two orders to go Please !!! looks great you are really getting that SV cooking down

Gary

Thanks for the post Bear! I tried a Chucky in the SV after your 2nd SV chuck roast thread and I think I got a tough one because I ran back to the crock pot for the next three. I'm going to try the 30 hours this next time, I love the ease of the SV and having a formula that works the same every time when I really need it.

Thank You SM !!
Yup--I had a tough one too--My #3, which is why I went back to experimenting.
Hopefully this 138° for 30 hours will keep that from happening any more.
I like this SV more than Crock pot, because I don't have to overcook it to get it tender.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Dad? Son, I think we have things reversed.

LOL---Given the choices in your Signature---My name is John too, and I'm NOT going to call you "Dear", so Dad seemed like a good choice.:rolleyes:
I couldn't find your age.

Bear

LOL---Given the choices in your Signature---My name is John too, and I'm NOT going to call you "Dear", so Dad seemed like a good choice.:rolleyes:
I couldn't find your age.

Bear
I'll be 50 in August, might be closer to using Bro.
Chile is perfectly acceptable, it's my real nick that everyone calls me by.

I'll be 50 in August, might be closer to using Bro.
Chile is perfectly acceptable, it's my real nick that everyone calls me by.

I can do that Bro, but it doesn't say you'll answer to that.
It says,
I answer to Dear, Dad, John or Chile... And sometimes, " Hey @$$h©√£!"

BTW: Bear Jr is 46.

So I'll go with "Chile",
Bear

Another Chuck Roast (SV Experiment)

After two Perfect Chuck Roasts in a row, The other week I ran into one that was too tough for the same Temp & Time.
I made it exactly like I did the two perfect ones, but it came out Very Tasty, but not even close to Fork Tender.

So with this 3 pound plus Chuck Roast, I did the following:
Like I've been doing I coated it with Worcestershire (Powder), CBP, Garlic & Onion Powders, and Vacuum packed.
Then I filled my Sous Vide Supreme, set it for 138°, and put my Vacuum packed Bagged Chucky in the SV.
30 hours later, I removed the Chucky from the Bath & the Bag, and patted it dry with Paper Towels.
Then I seared both sides on my Weber “Q” to make it look pretty.
Then I sliced enough for our Dinner, and plated some Chucky slices along with some of Mrs Bear’s Mashed Taters & Gravy.

This Roast was Fork Tender & mighty tasty.
I don’t know if this change in Temp & Time solved the problem, but I’m going to keep doing it this way until I run into a Chucky that doesn’t agree with it.

Oh yeah, I had a few more slices for Supper & then sliced the rest of the Roast up for Future Sammies. (Coming Soon!!)

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

One Chucky 3 pounds plus, racked & ready for a Bath:
View attachment 358622

Fresh out of my SV after 30 hours @ 138°:
View attachment 358623

Putting a sear on with my Weber "Q":
View attachment 358624

Finished Searing both sides:
View attachment 358625

Ready for slicing:
View attachment 358626

Sliced enough for Supper:
View attachment 358627

Bear's first Helping with Mashed Taters & Gravy:
View attachment 358628

Close-up to show that Beautiful Fork Tender Beef:
View attachment 358629

Some extra Beef & Gravy for the Hungry Bear:
View attachment 358630

Sliced the rest of the Chucky up for future Sammies:
View attachment 358631

Ready for the Fridge, until called for Sandwich Duty:
View attachment 358632
I’ve been waiting to find some chuck on sale. Thank you for the benefit of your experience!
138 for 30 hours...

BA628A46-9EDF-4B3C-95D2-BF4689106788.jpeg

And How was it??
Looks Great!

Bear
It really was perfect. Worcestershire (liquid), cbp, onion powder, garlic power... no salt. then browned on the gasser.
My visiting father wants to open a restaurant based around this dish.
He wants to know what we call it?

It really was perfect. Worcestershire (liquid), cbp, onion powder, garlic power... no salt. then browned on the gasser.
My visiting father wants to open a restaurant based around this dish.
He wants to know what we call it?

I'm glad you like it !!
I just call what you have there "Hot Roast Beef".
And my Sammies I use the regular name of "Hot Roast Beef Sandwich with Gravy".
I never had any that could get as Tender as the SV makes it.

You might like the "Pulled Beef from Chuckies" too.
For Sammies, I think I like it even better:
Pulled Beef Chuck Roast (Perfect)

Bear

Hi John, I have the anova stick unit.
This weekend I did two tri tip roasts.
135 for 26 hrs. Hunting season adjusted the time for me. Overall, it was perfect. Fantastic flavor and tenderness. Added some provelone and fried onions with a side of au ju. Absolutely awesome! I post this here because your Chucky posts made me want to give it a try. Here are the pics.
IMG_20181111_193916361.jpg
IMG_20181111_185121040.jpg
IMG_20181111_192731018.jpg

Hi John, I have the anova stick unit.
This weekend I did two tri tip roasts.
135 for 26 hrs. Hunting season adjusted the time for me. Overall, it was perfect. Fantastic flavor and tenderness. Added some provelone and fried onions with a side of au ju. Absolutely awesome! I post this here because your Chucky posts made me want to give it a try. Here are the pics.

That looks Great, Smokin!!!
We don't have Tri-Tips around here, or I would try that.
However I prefer to SV meats that really need to be SV'd, like Chucky & Eye Round.
Got an Eye Round in my SV as I'm typing this---Ready at 4 PM, after 21 hours @ 132°.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Wow!! This is one great looking, mouth watering piece of chuckie! Never tried cooking chuck with SV but.... Bear, you just forced me to. Plan for this weekend: start Friday at around 9 p.m., finish at 2 p.m. Thanks for the post!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky