• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Another 50th Anniversary

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Another 50th Anniversary

Yesterday was the 50th Anniversary of one of the Best Days of My Life.
My “ETS” was May 15, 1971. For those without a Military Background, “ETS” means “Enlisted Time Served”.
That Means You’re getting Out of The Army on that Day!!!

So Mrs Bear & I left Ft Hood, Texas at about 7 AM, in our 1969 Coronet 500 Dodge, and began our 1735 mile trip to Quakertown, PA.
We stopped in Texas for Breakfast, and we stopped to buy a Revolver, while we could still get one for a good price.
Then we resumed our trip, stopping only for Gas, and to eat, and a couple of times for Coffee To Go.

The whole trip took us 23.5 hours. I left Mrs Bear drive for about an hour, and she wasn’t used to Power Steering. After banging my head on the passenger side window enough times, I told her to pull over, because I could sleep a lot better when I’m driving than when she was driving. LOL

So this day fits right in with My other “Best Days”, like:
The Day we got married——December 27, 1968.
The Day our Son was born——January 31, 1972.
The Day I left Vietnam——August 19, 1969.

I don’t rank them in order, because they were all #1 in My Book.

Glad to still be around to tell you all about it,

Bear

Last edited:

WaterinHoleBrew

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Congrats Bear, that’s an impressive top three! Oh and as always thank you for your service buddy!

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
Congratulations John! You got out of the Army on my 10th Birthday, small World, lol.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Congratulations! Definitely something to celebrate and thank you for your service!

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
Great story bear, Would of been terrible surviving Vietnam just to die from head injuries driving home😉

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Great story bear, Would of been terrible surviving Vietnam just to die from head injuries driving home😉
Thank You Jim!!
LOL---It wasn't that bad, but I couldn't sleep with all the bouncing off the Window!!

Bear

Congratulations Bear! Thank you very much!
Thank You Bill !
Appreciate that !!

Bear

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks John. I just have to get used to being in my 60's now, lol.
Hitting 60 didn't bother me, but My Son turning 40 did.
OMG---Next January He turns 50 !!!

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.