Anniversary Pork Butt!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by medic92, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Today is my tenth wedding anniversary.  While out running around I picked up a nine pound pork shoulder at $1.49/lb.  It's rubbed and ready to go tomorrow.  I think I'm going to use the Brinkmann vertical smoker on this one and see if it holds temperature a little better now that it's a little warmer than ten degrees.  Pictures will start in the morning.

2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good luck on the smoke , and I'll brew some Coffee and watch . . .[​IMG]

3. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

Congrats on your anniversary! Your audience is building-I'm in too! See ya tomorrow, David.

4. Pork butt is rubbed and on the smoker.  I'm using a mix of pecan and apple wood, smoking at 275 since we celebrated our anniversary well into the night and I got a bit of a late start this morning. 

5. Congrats on the 10,   Butt looks good

Gary

6. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

Looking good Medic, keep em coming. :)

7. About 3 1/2 hours into the cook...although it's performing just fine I'm realizing I honestly don't care for the vertical smoker.  I think I'll give it to my neighbor after this butt's done.

8. Looking Good ,   What is it you don't like about your smoker ?

gary

9. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that smoker-the shoulder is looking real good! I'm curious too what it is you don't care for. David.

10. chewmeister

chewmeister Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Happy anniversary Medic, and many more. Don't give up on that vertical smoker just yet. Good looking pork shoulder there.

11. I just don't care for the setup for the most part.  Like I said, there's nothing wrong with the vertical smoker, I just prefer using my offset.  :)

12. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Happy happy anniversary! Nice looking butt:biggrin:
    I wish I was your neighbor!

13. Finally finished!  After a one hour rest, this is what I had:

And here's the final product, pulled and ready to eat:

14. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great!

15. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Looks plenty edible to me.  [​IMG]

16. Nice Job,   Looks Good

Gary

17. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Perfect pulled pork!

Disco

18. It was decent but I don't think the quality of the pork was very good.  I think I'll stick with getting mine from the meat locker and paying a little more.