Andouille mix recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bnew17

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
What is the go to mix for Andouille? I used AC Legg last time and really liked it, but was just curious if there are any other go to mixes. Doing some reading earlier some people were talking real high about a place in Lousiana called Jacobs world famous. However, it doesn’t appear they sell their mix, just the actual sausage. Thanks

Get a pen and write down this recipe @ the 3:55 minute mark...

but you can watch the whole video on how to make it...

If you want a New Orleans style, leave the Thyme in. Take it out for a Cajun style...

Reactions: Fueling Around
Get a pen and write down this recipe @ the 3:55
but you can watch the whole video on how to make it...

If you want a New Orleans style, leave the Thyme in. Take it out for a Cajun style...
Screenshot_20221018-001138_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's a screenshot. Thx for the recipe! Now, which should I make, cajun or NOLA version? And this is what you use, indaswamp?

View attachment 646192
Here's a screenshot. Thx for the recipe! Now, which should I make, cajun or NOLA version? And this is what you use, indaswamp?
Thanks for the screen shot. And for me there is no doubt which I would choose....the original which is the Cajun version. Though I have made this particular andouille, it is not the recipe I use now. I have a family recipe that is very close to this one which I am sworn not to post on an open forum. 100-500# of it were made weekly at the family (extended family) restaurant for use in the restaurant, though some was sold directly to the public.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Few tips..
Andouille is about the ONLY sausage I make that has less than 20% fat. The reason for this is because of the large chunks in the andouille. I go with 15% and it is enough for flavor and juiciness. I like to separate the fat from the lean. Grind the lean thru a 3/4" plate. Then take 15% of that an mix it with the fat, then grind that thru a 3mm plate. This distributes the fat throughout the sausage, and with the small amount of meat thru the small plate, it gives you great protein extraction which the large chunks would lack otherwise. BUT...when you go to mix, keep the 3mm grind separate from the 3/4" grind. take your wet ingredients and mix it into the 3mm grind first to loosen it up, then add the coarse to it and mix it in.....

Smoke HEAVY.....I mean HEAVY with either pecan or hickory with a touch of brown sugar ....1/4# will do. This will make white smoke becasue o the wet sugar, but if you smell it, it should not smell acrid or bitter with a bite. it should be mellow and sweet....this is one of the halmarks of cajun andouille....thick sweet smoke.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky