Andouille & Cajun Hot sausages ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Howdee folks I have not posted in a while so hope I have not been deleted from the lists. Maybe you've changed the locks, password or the secret handshake. We all know how to do the debone, grind, season and stuff. Heck probably know how to do all of it.

IMG_1354.JPG

Above is Cajun Hot sausage and andouille headed to the reefer to set a couple a day till smoking to let all the spices marry and the cure #1 time to work its magic especially in the andouille which really should taste like a spicy ham sausage. Remember that heat kills the activation of the ccure and that cold slows its effectiveness down. But slowing its process to me is allowable to insure the safety of the product.

IMG_1352.JPG

I included this picture to show just how bad a photographer I am . Thats the same sausage as the number one photo about one minute after the first shoot. Looks a lot better here don'tcha think? LOL

IMG_1355.JPG

Sausage in the chamber. Starting a 30/45 min warm up or dewatering/drying cycle. BTW I am using the A-Maze-N Adjustable tube in an MES40 using pecan and apple pellets. Vent full open and door just on latch for these smokes.

IMG_1363.JPG

And **poof** 4 hours later, maintaining a 110 to 120 IT

IMG_1365.JPG

I took this picture because I don't have on and often refer to this cheat. Note the 3"PVC pipe? Its sitting on top of the MES40 discharge. But adding this 2' extension to that discharge I am increasing the draft ability to approximately a 4" discharge thereby increasing the draw thru the unit . It's an engineering thing, ask an engineer to explain it. Its an honest to God engineering law. Seriously.

IMG_1366.JPG

After the first application of smoke to the sausage and then to the andouille I cook them to 152 (IT) to make them more idiot safe. I use my electric roaster because it will achieve this faster, easier and more accurately than trying to do it in the chamber. It's not a lug but the roaster insert filled with ice. Which I will add water to just before adding the sausages over after achieving the desired temperature to flash cool before drying and returning to the reefer.

IMG_1370.JPG

The next day back intro the smoker for a second application of pecan and apple.

IMG_1376.JPG

Certainly smells good. Careful now is not the time to become distracted, you don't want to have the temperature run away and render and ruin those sausages and andouille. Why twice, The Bear showed me the difference between smoked hams and twice smoked. Now anything I make that is cured is double smoked.

(points up to the bleachers) And the crowds go wild!!

It's worth it, but remember you are doubling down on the come. One moment's loss of concentration and you've wasted it all. Thats why its so good I guess.

IMG_1387.JPG

An additional 4 hours and they are getting so happy and my hands are smelling so good I have to be careful and not bite into a finger! Years ago, in the beginning safety cooking the sausage I noticed the roasters water afterwards smell unbelievable so I rightfully thought I was losing some of that delicious smoke. So I tried a second smoke and now people flock to the garage when they smell smoke begging.

IMG_1380.JPG

This is it !! Butts deboned, seasoned, ground, chilled overnite, cure and water added, extruded into natural casings which have sat overnight in fresh water after flushing and inspecting. Allowed to rest in the reefer for 2 days to allow the cure to perimate the meat properly then smoked once on pecan and apple, cooked to 152 IT, flash chilled in ice, chilled over night and smoked again. Overnite in the reefer to smooth the smoked flavor/aroma, the bagged and tagged and to the freezer for holiday friends.

Actually I think I really do this smoothing process so the aroma can permeate the reefer and the kitchen and I can enjoy it yet another day anyway. I swear that aroma comes thru the metal of the reefer...LOL

IMG_1390.JPG

Damn no wonder I am so tired. LOL....

LOL OK, I hope everyone has a safe and joyous Thanksgiving. Be sure to take a break for the festivities and include a moment of thankful thought for all those in the service of the country, protecting you so you can enjoy it.

Last edited:
Looks great, that MES is the perfect machine for making sausages IMO , thanks for sharing

Another fan of the Bear double smoke routine here. love your narration.

Nice work . Always love the color you get . Good reading too .
I have a 3 " x 4 " stack on my 30 . Works great .

Looks great!

Thanks Dan....

Looks great, that MES is the perfect machine for making sausages IMO , thanks for sharing

I agree, if you could now just get parts to keep them working.... <sighs>

Wow have you been busy. Those look good.

Yeppers, and thank you.

Great to see you around again Foam! And Great sausages! Good read too....love the humor! Like!

Thanks, they did come out pretty good. I was happy. Did a jambalaya tonite with sausage, will do a gumbo soon to get a read of the andouille. That hot sausage is not really hot, but hotter than I normally do and it sneaks up on ya.

Another fan of the Bear double smoke routine here. love your narration.

Sir sir, learned a lot from the people on this board. Great place to learn.

Nice looking sausages. Andouille is my favorite but I bet those cajun hots are amazing

Thanks, I can't remember the last gumbo or redbeans I have made without my andouille. The hot links are not like Texas hot links, I am not a big fan of take the hide off your tongue heat, but they are done with home ground red pepper flakes and the longer they cook, the hotter they get. They will sneak up on you after you've finished and left the table....LOL

Nice work . Always love the color you get . Good reading too .
I have a 3 " x 4 " stack on my 30 . Works great .

It really makes a difference most folks don't understand physics.

Nice pics, foam!

Thank you kindly sir.

Holy Shoot, Foamy!!!
That's some Mighty Tasty looking Sausages!!
Nice Jobs!
Like.

Bear

Hiyas Bear, hope you and the family are all happy and doing well. I thought about you and Tropics just the other day. Thanks for the compliment and for all the help you'd always share. Hope you guys have a safe and happy holiday.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Beautiful! Those sausages look amazing. I have to go Search for your Recipes. I've not had anything to smoke in for awhile. I would like to make these...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky